Sherburne update

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CATS

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    I called LDWF in Opelousas about the road repair from Hwy 190. LDWF told me that it is a State Hwy. After many calls I got to DOTD District 61 in New Roads, they were VERY helpful. The water scoured out a huge pit and 3-10 feet of the levee at the big eastward curve just before the Sherburne HQ. The pit is deep and full of water, logs, and stumps. The state can not do anything until the US Army Corps of Engineers fixes or moves the levee. ETA is 3-6 months! The US Corps of Eng in Lafayette is the district in charge of this. No info about the state of the range or the road from I-10.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    IF the Corps is in charge, were better off sneaking out there in the middle of the night and fixing the road ourselves . 3 to 6 months my ass, more like next summer if we are lucky. I have no doubt that gravel road is not going to be a priority. Probably on the bottom of the list

XD45ACP

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 26, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    I work with a guy doing research there and he said the atv trails were open and that they were using the road off of I-10 to get in, but he has no info on the range itself, or how far down the I-10 road is useable...

CATS

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    I was able to visit with DOTD in New Roads on Weds. Those are some nice guys. I was shown some pictures of the road wash out on the Hwy 190 side. Yep, its a hole a little wider than the road and aprox 60yds long. There is another one just past the HQ and one some where closer to I-10. two of the east-west roads also have at least one wash out each. The State, Feds and Levee Board are deciding who is going to pay for the repair and who is going to do the work, (State, Feds, private contractor). The Corps in Laf and DOTD in BR are the ones driving this bus now. I was told that the Levee Board is patroling to keep people off of the levee. The WF web site states that there is limited entry on the I-10 side with ATV's, but DOTD told me it is only for the area near I-10. Also, the HQ has to be repaired or replaced, so WF has the final input as to when things will open. I have no info on damage to the range. I was also told that it would be the end of July or early Aug before any new info is out.

Cookoff

Retired State and Mil. AF
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    sherburn range update

I called Wildlife and fisheries friday the 8th of july and they said that the range will be closed till further notice, no estimate on opening .Crap...

Cookoff

Retired State and Mil. AF
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    Hey , guys my daughter works for wildlife and fisheries, she is incharge of the oyster thing along the coast, She is a marine Bio. I will try to keep all of you very special people on this web site informed,,,of Sherburne , I love sherbune been hunting their since 1965,,

mitter

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 25, 2009
    Metairie, LA
    Sherburne Wildlife Management Area will reopen Monday (Aug. 1), after being closed in May due to flooding associated with the opening of the Morganza Spillway, the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries announced today.

The public shooting ranges that include the rifle, handgun, archery and shotgun range are included in the reopening.

The public is reminded that Louisiana Highway 975 south from U.S. Highway 190 remains closed, so access is restricted to Louisiana Highway 975 from Interstate 10 to the Sherburne WMA Headquarters.

http://www.louisianasportsman.com/details.php?id=3206

Top Bottom