Sheriff Ard's Truck Stolen

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    Dad has a hunting camp in Chama, New Mexico. It's a small community, everybody knows everybody. I'll try to keep this brief without rambling but it happened probably four years ago and we still break out the story every year and laugh.

Here's the set up:
    many of his friends from our local area are law enforcement.
    Their family in Chama is in law enforcement if I understand it correctly.
    The camp's hunting guide is indirectly semi-related to these LEOs although he is not a LEO himself….
    And then there is Dad and his other friends who were not law enforcement.

Dad wakes up first to start breakfast. Scott wakes up, walks out to his truck and comes back in, nothing worrisome, figures it's either moved from necessity while he was asleep or it's a practical joke. Where'd ya park my truck Tommy? "What do you mean?" Scott says my truck is missing, where'd ya'll move it? Dad's all "I didn't do anything to the truck." They call in Anthony the guide. Anthony where's the truck? Did you move it? Nooooo..

The truck as been stolen. The camp is on the main highway but it's the only home in the middle of nowhere for a couple miles at least. You're going to have to walk a ways to get to it.

The other guys come out from the bunk house and of course their Chama-local cousins and uncles are there. They start to discuss it while waiting for on-duty officer to show, and one of them suggests that their black sheep cousin got out of jail last month. Maybe it's him. They start comparing notes…

On-Star to the rescue and sure enough, the law enforcement brethren called it. Their family member came into their camp (it was theirs before Dad purchased it, which is how the friendship was born) and stole one of the vehicles for a joy ride. It was just a pot shot the cousin didn't steal one of the deputies personal ride. :)

I left out half a day worth of WTF's but that's it in a small nutshell.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Now in the past, some folks have railed those that left weapons in their cars and had them stolen.

Is Ard one of those irresponsible gun owners? :dunno:

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    Now in the past, some folks have railed those that left weapons in their cars and had them stolen.

Is Ard one of those irresponsible gun owners? :dunno:

Not if he wanted to have a beer or a glass of wine with dinner, which is likely at Ruffino's and not illegal.

Last edited:

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Not if he wanted to have a beer or a glass of wine with dinner, which is likely at Ruffino's and not illegal.

They need to do something with at crap the AG put out about off duty carry. I can see not carrying in a BAR or Titty bar like Delatte did and having your weapon go boom in the rest room. But if a LEO is at a restaurant and he/she should be good to go as long as they're not drunk.

Last edited:

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    They need to do something with at crap the AG put out about off duty carry. I can see not carrying in a BAR or Titty bar like Delatte did and having your weapon go boom in the rest room. But if a LEO is at a restaurant and he/she should be good to go as long as they're not drunk.

Were you not aware that the AG's opinion is merely an opinion?

#1bambam

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Oct 14, 2007
    The Nasty New Orleans.
    I picked the wrong line of work.I should have been a cop like my Dad wanted me to.You guys stick together better than any group of ppl on earth no matter what.Kuddos to you guys.:thumbsup:

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    So a cross-dresser tried to use their credit cards on Evangeline?

One thing about Baton Rouge- it never disappoints. :doh:

mcinfantry

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Watson, La
    Were you not aware that the AG's opinion is merely an opinion?

An opinion that officers and district attorneys use to guide them in charging suspects. Yes.

It's not as good of an opinion as say, your buddy shot a burglar, pled guilty to negligent homicide and then you tell everyone he got off.

But close enough I suppose.

ΜΟΡΟΝ ΛΑΒΙΑ

Last edited:

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    An opinion that officers and district attorneys use to guide them in charging suspects. Yes.

An opinion as in they are a written advisory interpretation only and do not carry the force and effect of the law.

As for the other stuff, I don't know who did that or why its relevant to this conversation.

mcinfantry

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Watson, La
    An opinion as in they are a written advisory interpretation only and do not carry the force and effect of the law.

Except a contrary opinion would prevent most police and district attorneys from charging a person under the same circumstances.

Or that's how 19th JDC handled the opinions

ΜΟΡΟΝ ΛΑΒΙΑ

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    Except a contrary opinion would prevent most police and district attorneys from charging a person under the same circumstances.

Or that's how 19th JDC handled the opinions

Agreed, but that doesn't mean a judge couldn't rule totally opposite of the AG's opinion and the judge's rule does have force of the law.

Or the state lawmakers should just do what they need to do and clarify the law and there won't be any need for differing opinions.

mcinfantry

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Watson, La
    Agreed, but that doesn't mean a judge couldn't rule totally opposite of the AG's opinion and the judge's rule does have force of the law.

Or the state lawmakers should just do what they need to do and clarify the law and there won't be any need for differing opinions.

Charging an off duty cop and then the cop being found not guilty of the charge in court in no way is the force of law.

A CONVICTION, followed by an appeal that overturns the conviction based on the legal premise becomes force of law. At least that's how I understand it.

ΜΟΡΟΝ ΛΑΒΙΑ

Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T
    Help prevent crime....?

HUMMMM... May I suggest folks simply stay away form Baton Roach and the Chocolate city and lessen the chances of being victimized? :}

36778_less-is-more-blk-bground.png

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    djrara323
    Top Bottom