Shipping handgun

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • marshrunner757

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2015
    Sulphur, LA
    Not sure if this is the right place to post this but here goes.
    I am returning a 22/45 Lite to ruger due to FTF/FTE issues. I called them and they sent me a shipping label. My question is, do I follow their instructions and just bring to FedEx or do I bring it to an FFL? I asked them where it would be returned to and they said my address. I thought firearms had to be shipped and received by an FFL??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    Yes, you can ship it in for repair without going through an FFL as there is no change in ownership. However, I would not use their shipping label, ship it yourself out of your own pocket and use the current MSRP (replacement cost) for the "declared value". Take a photo of it in the box right before you tape it closed.

Here's why: If something happens, any resolution will be between the "shipper" and Fed Excuse, with the pre-paid label the "shipper" is Ruger and Fed Excuse will not discuss the matter with you. On another forum a guy shipped his SCAR 17 in for repair and Fed Excuse delivered an empty box. While in the custody of Fed Excuse, it was removed and the box taped back up. Fed Excuse won't discuss it with him as he's not the shipper and FN customer service doesn't know anything about it (he should try talking to their legal department). He has no idea what the "declared value" FN used, if it's not stated then Fed Excuse's liability is $100. He's gotten no resolution so far.

I've had a firearm disappear while in the custody of Fed Excuse. We went round and round, they said it was delivered but there was no signature (as required). They showed it as out for delivered at 6:01 AM and delivered at 6:02 AM. As I have an FFL, I promptly got the ATF involved, and they got the FBI to help. The box miraculously appeared four weeks later. I was told two people got fired over that one.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Yes, you can ship it in for repair without going through an FFL as there is no change in ownership. However, I would not use their shipping label, ship it yourself out of your own pocket and use the current MSRP (replacement cost) for the "declared value". Take a photo of it in the box right before you tape it closed.

Here's why: If something happens, any resolution will be between the "shipper" and Fed Excuse, with the pre-paid label the "shipper" is Ruger and Fed Excuse will not discuss the matter with you. On another forum a guy shipped his SCAR 17 in for repair and Fed Excuse delivered an empty box. While in the custody of Fed Excuse, it was removed and the box taped back up. Fed Excuse won't discuss it with him as he's not the shipper and FN customer service doesn't know anything about it (he should try talking to their legal department). He has no idea what the "declared value" FN used, if it's not stated then Fed Excuse's liability is $100. He's gotten no resolution so far.

I've had a firearm disappear while in the custody of Fed Excuse. We went round and round, they said it was delivered but there was no signature (as required). They showed it as out for delivered at 6:01 AM and delivered at 6:02 AM. As I have an FFL, I promptly got the ATF involved, and they got the FBI to help. The box miraculously appeared four weeks later. I was told two people got fired over that one.

Good advice here. Same thing happened to a friend. UPS somehow put his pistol on the wrong plane and it went to London. Whenever it landed, in order to board a plane again London has to (according to UPS) scan the boxes. Whenever they discovered a weapon entered their country they (allegedly) destroyed it.

Nevertheless, the FFL who shipped it ended up getting him a check for the declared value of the weapon which was the value of a brand new one, which was $300 more than he paid for it. It just took 6 months.

Blue Diamond

sportsman
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Metairie, La.
    I had a rifle being shipped to Remington for warranty repairs in the past. Remington received it and it dissapeared somewhere between them and me. I had the FBI bothering me for a while wanting to know about the rifle and I told them to go mess with Remington because they shipped it back to me and it was lost in transit. Remington sent me a new rifle for a replacement but it had a god awful ugly walnut stock. I contacted them about it to see if maybe they would exchange it for a better looking stock but they said no deal. I had to take it like it was. Sold it and bought one with a stock that I liked. Whole process was less than a month.

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    From FedEx's Service Guide (http://images.fedex.com/us/services/pdf/Service_Guide_2017.pdf)

Firearms
    A. FedEx Express will transport and deliver firearms as defined by the United States
    Gun Control Act of 1968, between areas served in the U.S., but only between:
    1. Licensed importers; licensed manufacturers; licensed dealers; licensed collectors;
    law enforcement agencies of the U.S. or any department or agency thereof; and
    law enforcement agencies of any state or any department, agency or political
    subdivisions thereof; or
    2. Where not prohibited by local, state and federal law, from individuals to licensed
    importers, licensed manufacturers or licensed dealers (and return of same).
    B. If your shipment contains firearms, select the Direct Signature Required or Adult
    Signature Required Delivery Signature Option, depending on the requirements of your
    shipment. See the Delivery Signature Options section for details. Firearms shipments
    are not eligible for signature release or indirect delivery.
    C. Firearms must be shipped via FedEx Priority Overnight service. FedEx Express cannot
    ship or deliver firearms C.O.D. Firearms shipments cannot be placed in a FedEx Express
    Drop Box.
    D. Upon presenting the package for shipment, the person tendering the shipment to
    FedEx Express is required to notify FedEx Express that the package contains a firearm.
    The outside of the package must not be marked, labeled or otherwise identify that the
    package contains a firearm.
    E. The shipper and recipient must be of legal age as identified by applicable law.
    F. The shipper and recipient are required to comply with all applicable government
    regulations and laws, including those pertaining to labeling. The Bureau of Alcohol,
    Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives can provide assistance.
    G. FedEx Express will transport ammunition when packed and labeled in compliance
    with local, state and federal law, and the Dangerous Goods section of this Service
    Guide. Ammunition is an explosive and must be shipped separately as dangerous goods.
    You agree not to ship loaded firearms or firearms with ammunition in the same package

Blue Diamond

sportsman
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Metairie, La.
    I had a rifle being shipped to Remington for warranty repairs in the past. Remington received it and it dissapeared somewhere between them and me. I had the FBI bothering me for a while wanting to know about the rifle and I told them to go mess with Remington because they shipped it back to me and it was lost in transit. Remington sent me a new rifle for a replacement but it had a god awful ugly walnut stock. I contacted them about it to see if maybe they would exchange it for a better looking stock but they said no deal. I had to take it like it was. Sold it and bought one with a stock that I liked. Whole process was less than a month.

The stupid thing about the whole deal was UPS at the time required all packages be shipped in their original boxing. I had wrapped the gun box with Kraft paper and tied up secure and they made me remove all the wrapping and put the shipping label right on the original box. I guess it makes the thieves job easier. Policy is reversed nowadays for good reason. All firearms are to be boxed so no one kinows what is inside.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I had to ship a pistol back to Ruger. They sent me a label to my email and the UPS guy picked it up at my door and dropped it back off all was less than 2 weeks round trip. It was cheaper that way if i was gonna pay for ship but they covered it anyway.
    Was great dealing with them. {ie} They treated me 100% right

kbownds

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2017
    Lubbock, Texas
    No Problem.

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but here goes.
    I am returning a 22/45 Lite to ruger due to FTF/FTE issues. I called them and they sent me a shipping label. My question is, do I follow their instructions and just bring to FedEx or do I bring it to an FFL? I asked them where it would be returned to and they said my address. I thought firearms had to be shipped and received by an FFL??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I have sent back several firearms and you can take it directly to Fed-Ex. I am told that once the firearm has been registered its ok to send it thru an approved carrier. BUT beware they can also deliver it back to your address and as such they can set it on your front porch. I have to track mine and be there when he delivered it to keep someone from snatching it.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I have sent back several firearms and you can take it directly to Fed-Ex. I am told that once the firearm has been registered its ok to send it thru an approved carrier. BUT beware they can also deliver it back to your address and as such they can set it on your front porch. I have to track mine and be there when he delivered it to keep someone from snatching it.

No Firearm Registration in Louisiana. You should always sign for the Firearm when it is shipped back to you. Not dropped off at your door to be stolen.

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x

Just an update from the other forum. When FNH created the shipping documents, they did not declare a value, Fed Excuse has offered the owner $120 settlement for a $3K rifle. $20 refund for the shipping cost and $100 is their limited liability. FNH has washed their hands.

Ship firearms on your dime and declare the full value!

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    The stupid thing about the whole deal was UPS at the time required all packages be shipped in their original boxing. I had wrapped the gun box with Kraft paper and tied up secure and they made me remove all the wrapping and put the shipping label right on the original box. I guess it makes the thieves job easier. Policy is reversed nowadays for good reason. All firearms are to be boxed so no one kinows what is inside.

I guess that doesn't apply for suppressors. We got our first shipment in for the SPEC program directly from Silencerco and their name was plastered all over the box.

MCASSgt NR

GySgt of Marines
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    Gulf of MX
    I have had a SBR leave the factory without the appropriate NFA markings. When I contacted the manufacturer a label was generated and I shipped it off. The SBR was sent directly back to my door. So, this process works for most all firearms...just not sure if this would apply to machineguns, however, since they too are title II weapons it should.

Just my two cents.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Just an update from the other forum. When FNH created the shipping documents, they did not declare a value, Fed Excuse has offered the owner $120 settlement for a $3K rifle. $20 refund for the shipping cost and $100 is their limited liability. FNH has washed their hands.

Ship firearms on your dime and declare the full value!

Years ago I shipped and insured magazines USPS valued at $550 and they were stolen between Walker and Baton Rouge.
    USPS wanted to see the original receipts for the magazines which I did not have and I was out $550 with no recourse.

Top Bottom