Shooting in Florida theatre over texting

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    I hear what you are saying, but there is a pretty large disparity of force here. He's 71 years old and a 6'4" dude got hyper aggressive, hopped the seats, got in his space and started making contact (allegedly).

I know we are all Monday morning quarterbacking this but at that age how many hits do you take before you shoot? IF contact has already been made, then do you wait for a more severe blow? He's a retired police chief, perfect record, never used his firearm in the line of duty. Combine his reputation with the video showing that he didn't even stand up and I am inclined to believe him. I bet at least one Juror would too.

I agree. That's why assault on senior citizens carry a harsher punishment. I'm not choosing sides either, just thinking that the guy has a chance to walk. The testimony of the off duty deputy will go along ways as well, don't know what he's saying though.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    I am going to take two important lessons for myself from this.

#1, If someone is texting in a theater and I don't like it, tell the usher or a manager, and let him deal with it. For me, it's not worth the trouble.

#2, I really don't want the video of the last few moments of my life to be me childishly throwing popcorn in a 71 year old man's face. I would really feel like a douche.

Rahllin

Geaux Tigers!
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I am going to take two important lessons for myself from this.

#1, If someone is texting in a theater and I don't like it, tell the usher or a manager, and let him deal with it. For me, it's not worth the trouble.

#2, I really don't want the video of the last few moments of my life to be me childishly throwing popcorn in a 71 year old man's face. I would really feel like a douche.

If I read the articles correctly, the guy did go tell management, and that is what seemed to have really set the guy off.

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    Note to self, If I go to a movie, and am armed, leave all disputes with others with the management. Get your money back, or heck just leave.

Good friend of mine is a gun instructor, he makes a good point, his goal is to protect him and his family, and you can't protect your family if you are in jail.

Not sure if the shooter was right or wrong, but I would have just left, it ain't worth it to me. No movie is that good.

Last edited:

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    If I read the articles correctly, the guy did go tell management, and that is what seemed to have really set the guy off.

Your right, I missed that the first time I read it. I would edit lesson 1 and add "and if they are alright with it, then get my money back and leave."

I stand by lesson #2 (and the general idea behind it, not just popcorn and old men)

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Well I'd have to give the older man the benefit of the doubt.

He took measures to try and fix the situation.
    The situation turned physical at a rate that "scared the hell out of him" (His testimony)
    He feared an assault was imminent by a much larger and younger aggressive acting male
    (after the cell phone and popcorn was thrown at his face)
    In fear of his life, he drew and fired one shot.

:dunno:

At any rate, I don't see a trigger happy retired police officer shooting a man....just b/c that man threw popcorn in his face or wouldn't turn his cell phone off.

WHOLE lot more going on there than that.

Here's something to consider;
    Is it possible,
    the old man couldn't see after being hit in the face/nose with the phone? watery eyes?
    or having the salt from the popcorn in his eyes? burning?
    Being older and in a dark room will already limit his vision enough right?

Now he's got a pissed off, huge 6'4" younger man aggressively engaging him.

His eyes are burning, his nose is hurt, he can barely see....what's next?
    a punch? a kick to the face?....should he have waited to find out?

....... :dunno:

Tim I don't think your statement accurately defines the situation.
    That, "You don't shoot someone for throwing popcorn in your face"

it just wasn't that simple of a situation....IMO.
    /

Last edited:

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    Well I'd have to give the older man the benefit of the doubt.

He took measures to try and fix the situation.
    The situation turned physical at a rate that "scared the hell out of him" (His testimony)
    He feared an assault was imminent by a much larger and younger aggressive acting male
    (after the cell phone and popcorn was thrown at his face)
    In fear of his life, he drew and fired one shot.

:dunno:

At any rate, I don't see a trigger happy retired police officer shooting a man....just b/c that man threw popcorn in his face or wouldn't turn his cell phone off.

WHOLE lot more going on there than that.

Here's something to consider;
    Is it possible,
    the old man couldn't see after being hit in the face/nose with the phone? watery eyes?
    or having the salt from the popcorn in his eyes? burning?
    Being older and in a dark room will already limit his vision enough right?

Now he's got a pissed off, huge 6'4" younger man aggressively engaging him.

His eyes are burning, his nose is hurt, he can barely see....what's next?
    a punch? a kick to the face?....should he have waited to find out?

....... :dunno:

Tim I don't think your statement accurately defines the situation.
    That, "You don't shoot someone for throwing popcorn in your face"

it just wasn't that simple of a situation....IMO.
    /

You make some valid points. And I guess that these points will be what decides the outcome of this case in court. That said...the old guy had better have a good bankroll in order to hire a very good lawyer.
    And if the old man gets off...he will have probably gone broke defending himself. Unfortunately...that is the nature of the beast. Shoot someone...anyone...and in most cases...the legal costs will eat you up.
    Thats my main reason for just walking away from this kind of stuff. Its easier...and cheaper to just walk away. The world is full of assholes. And standing ones ground can be a life changing occurrence. Forget about who is right or wrong....just walk away.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I hear ya Tim. I'm the most passive, 'want no trouble' guy on the streets, especially with the family.

I've got nothing to prove to anyone and you can curse me and pump your ego
    in front of your girlfriend all day. Makes no difference to me, I'm walking away.

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    I hear ya Tim. I'm the most passive, 'want no trouble' guy on the streets, especially with the family.

in front of your girlfriend all day. Makes no difference to me, I'm walking away.
    Yep...I totally agree. I've got nothing to prove. Heck...I already know I am an ass. They aren't enlightening me.

bsoileau24

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Around ville platte

I am the same way hitman. I am a grown a$$ man and have nothing to prove to anyone. All i care about is my 2 year old daughter and my wife who is six months pregnant with my son. They are my only concern to keep safe and cant do that locked up.

Peacemaker

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    Slidell, La
    How is texting rude? As long as the phone is on silent, I don't see why it would bother anyone. Especially with newer phones that auto-dim in darker rooms. I seriously doubt my 4" phone screen is such a big distraction that you can't watch the 80-foot movie screen. Some people need to quit worrying about what everybody else is doing, and quit starting **** over stupid crap.
    this statement speaks volumes on the type of person you are!

Peacemaker

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    Slidell, La
    Looks like the older man spoke softly and carried a stick... good for him. A few more situations like this and people won't be so quick to put their hands on other people. .

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Donut Man
    Top Bottom