Shooting Technique question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Btl_Rkt_Sci

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    So this is my second year bow hunting. A couple of questions:

Does anyone else find that they are more accurate and consistent if, rather than trying to hold the sight steady over the target, you start either above or below and release when the sight crosses? I found my accuracy to be much better when I aim about a foot above the target, lower as I exhale and release when I cross the target. I can pretty regularly put three arrows in about a four inch group from 25 yards this way.

Also, what is the recommended contact points for the forward hand on the grip? I initially used the webbing between my thumb and index finger until a guy at the range told me having too much surface area contacting the handle could lead to torquing, which seems to make sense. He advised I touch the grip with my muscle on the outside of my palm. Although the method didn't improve my accuracy yet, is it a change I should make to improve my shooting in the long run and deal with the adjustment period for now?

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Unless you are going to compete it is far better to use a style that allows you consistency over time than what is considered "proper" technique. You are hunting deer correct? You need to put an arrow where you aim! doesn't matter how you get there. I find that a relaxed sight point works better when my arm gets fatigued; usually right before hunting season preparation starts. Then when the muscles get back to form, I hold steady on aimpoint, breath, and slowly release.

If you can group three to four arrows consistently, you can kill a deer with one.

as for your fore grip, my advice would be to stay "traditional". That guy that told you that may have it work for him, but your two years in, don't try to re-invent the wheel. Bowhunting is about repitition. You want to get to a point, where you don;t even have to think about what you are getting ready to do.

Besides that, I hope you know that you don't actually "grip" or "grab" the forearm handle, you just use your finger/thumb webbing to push the pressure back from the draw. The bow should fall away from your hand when you realease the arrow.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    I also find that a little controlled movement works better than trying to hold on one point.
    There should be no finger contact with the bow hand only surface contact with your palm to push. Some push then grab the bow after breaking the shot or you can use a wrist strap to let the bow roll forward until the strap catches it.

Renegade

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Red Stick
    Personally, I don't like the idea of pointing an arrow above the target... for safety reasons and errant arrow retrieval purposes. But, I do agree that holding on-target is shaky. I like to start my aim a foot or so below the target and ease up to it. Another benefit to this is that you have full view of your target while aiming below. And, like Emp said; no gripping the forearm, just consistent pressure from your webbing is all that's needed.

lsu fan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metry
    I don't recall the exact wording, but F&S had a tip about circling the target with the pin, or something like that. I guess it's similar to what you are saying. I don't do this though, I hold steady on the target, and I don't have too much trouble keeping on target. There is some movement but it's minimal. The point is, you're always going to move a bit, so it's better to concentrate that movement into a 2" area.

If you start getting tired during practice... stop. If you try to keep shooting when you're worn out, all you're going to do is develop bad habits.

I use the webbing or "v" between my thumb and index finger, and that's the only point that touches the grip. I keep my fingers straight out.

Bottom line is, if something is consistently working for YOU, keep doing it.

cbr900son

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    broussard la
    I had a lot of shakes till a buddy let me borrow a bigger stabalizer and it seemed to help a good bit. Had the stock 45" one that came with my bow and a 10" bar helped a lot.

Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    I have found that I, personally, shoot much better since I took the sights off my bow and sight down the arrow. Do whatever works best for you.

Top Bottom