shotgun buckshot and slug smooth bore barrels

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Goatman

Gone hunting or fishing!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2012
    Bossier City, Louisiana
    I been playing with the idea of hog hunting with my shotgun, but I don't know the effective range of buckshot and a slug.

I have a 12 gauge semi auto and 20 gauge pump. I plan on hunting with both guns so any help will be grreatful!

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I've had good luck with 000 buck in a 12 bore. Especially the Remington 3" mag variety. For some reason, unlike 00 buck, it keeps a tighter pattern from a full choke. And the difference in longer range punch is definitely worth the bother. Whatever the case, I'd pattern the gun with that and see what's what. As far as slugs go, if you find the type with the plastic skirt, stabilizer fin or whatever it's called, they are fairly accurate from a smooth bore. Fiochi makes some real nice ones that I've found online on a few sites. I would opt for the 1500+fps over the low recoil 1100+fps though.
    Go kill some pigs!

Last edited:

tactical723

3 Gun / F Class Player
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    Northshore - Covington, LA
    Smoothbore slug should be very accurate up to 60 - 75 yds. I have shot decent groups at 125yds with my 21" Benelli smoothbore. Buckshot should be accurate up to 50 yds. All of the above where with low recoil rounds that we use for 3 gun

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    8atu2yna.jpg

This is a slug by Royal. It has a steel core but I wouldn't consider it to be armor piercing. It is the second most accurate slug I've fired from a 18.5" cylinder bore barrel, falling close behind the Fiocchi "aero slug". They both have similar designs and both emit a very audible hiss in flight. I don't know for certain if they truly spin stabilize from a smooth bore because I don't have a video camera that records at a brazillion frames per second, but they punch round holes downrange and tight groups from an old Ithaca deer slayer with iron sights. The advertised muzzle velocity is 1560 fps and they weigh 1 oz. The Fiocchi slugs come in 1560 and 1100+ for the low recoil.

If the op would like to try either or all of the three I mentioned and can't find them, PM me and I will do my best to get some to you.

Truthfully, if you are using a bead front you would be better served just buying some decent cheap "rifled" slugs and shooting a few practice rounds at range. In my experience, shooting with a bead sight just puts you in the ballpark and I wouldn't expect to shoot any better than a 5 inch group at 50 yards with any slug. But I can promise you this, whatever brand or type of slug you use will knock that pig flat on his ass if you hit the kill zone.

Last edited:

Gambit

Mall Ninja
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Baton rouge, louisiana
    Need to buy a rifled slug. the lead is rifled as shown in above posted pic by magdump. for hogs i reccomend buck shot just because its easier to make quick shots, dont have to be dead on if youve got a 3" spread.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    alwill112
    Top Bottom