Should Blind People have a right to Own Firearms?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Should a blind person have the right to own firearms.

• Total voters

Win1917

Win1917
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Lafayette
    General consensus is of course they can own. COmpletely my fault, but I was looking more for feelings about their use.
    Of course they can shoot with assistance, aids, and in controlled environments. How do you feel about someone with no eyes being armed next to you and the possible issues that could entail if they decided to start shooting in a public setting in what they perceived as a legit SD situation.

That's an important distinction. I was reading this all along with the perspective of the original post. Blind guy shooting himself and being burglarized. That could happen to anyone blind or not so I didn't see why they should be treated differently.

I have no problem with them owning guns or using them with assistance for hunting, target shooting, etc. Or in home defense (to me that would qualify as a "controlled environment"). Using a gun for defense out in public though, I think a good argument could be made for not allowing them to use them in that manner. Without any way to assertain what's behind their target it's just a matter of luck as to whether or not they hit unintended targets. I would think a taser or something like that wold be a much better defense weapon for the blind in public than a gun.

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    Answering one question, I agree that I would be uncomfortable around a stone blind individual packing. Foolish not to be.

But my copy says "keep and bear," Period.

Win1917

Win1917
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Lafayette
    There are plenty of examples where citizens aren't allowed to own guns and/or places where they aren't allowed to be used. So it isn't actually "period"

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    There are plenty of examples where citizens aren't allowed to own guns and/or places where they aren't allowed to be used. So it isn't actually "period"

Actually it is (or perhaps,more accurately; it should be!). Your comment is correct, yet it only highlights that OUR 2nd Amendment rights have already been abridged and are continuously under assault.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance"

Last edited:

kirkdbergeron

Zombie Killah! LOL
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Morgan City, LA
    qodd80.jpg

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    In public, in private, the round belongs to the person holding the weapon....blind people would have better sense than to shoot in a public area unless it were contac...same should be nearly true for everone

Responsibility.....you have the right till you demonstrate you shouldn't have, just like everything else ( should be )

JustinB

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Metairie
    Once one of your senses goes the others "pick up the slack" so to speak. I wouldn't doubt that a blind person could shoot (slightly) more accurate than some of the brain dead people Ive seen at the range. lol

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    Answering one question, I agree that I would be uncomfortable around a stone blind individual packing. Foolish not to be.

But my copy says "keep and bear," Period.

In a nutshell, this. Pretty cut and dried after reading the arguments. Personal opinion doesn't factor into the 2A.

Last edited:

Win1917

Win1917
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Lafayette
    All examples of allowing free men to not keep and bear arms are wrong IMHO.

In most all cases I agree. In the case of convicted felons, known mental problems, etc. I don't have a problem not allowing them to buy guns but we'll probably just have to agree to disagree on that.

blind people would have better sense than to shoot in a public area unless it were contac

My sentiments exactly. Realistically I doubt there are any blind people who would be trying to open fire on someone in public. The chance of hitting their intended target is essentially zero.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    In most all cases I agree. In the case of convicted felons, known mental problems, etc. I don't have a problem not allowing them to buy guns but we'll probably just have to agree to disagree on that.

My sentiments exactly. Realistically I doubt there are any blind people who would be trying to open fire on someone in public. The chance of hitting their intended target is essentially zero.

If someone is not fit to legally own a firearm when they are released from prison, are they really fit to be released?

Nobody is advocating blind people trying to stop a Mall shooter, but we all should think hard before we let the government impose their version of common sense on us.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Right, yes! Ability to own, yes. Do they have the responsibility to use it safely, yes.

We're back to legislating away our rights. We want the nanny government to make all of our decisions for us.

I think if I were legally blind I'd load up a Judge with .410 rocksalt or rubber bullets. That way I don't have to worry about overpenetrating.

How's this for a hypothetical. You loose your sight in an accident. You get home from the hospital. Docs say you're blind, but in six months you'll have healed enough for them to do surgery and fix you. The law now says you have so many days to surrender all of your guns to the nearest police station. Are you going to go turn in your grandpa's Colt SAA he left you?
    Now tell me that's a law you want on the books!

Last edited:

JLouv

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Youngsville
    Dang it....I wish i'd read all the choices...

I instantly voted #1.....Yes without restrictions. They are citizens and therefore enjoy and exercise the rights of citizenship. That's a period there. The end. No questions. To my knowledge, there's no test to own a firearm, as opposed to...say, a driver's license.... :D

We all know how well that works. Google "elderly driving through mall". Happens all the time, but there's no max age to drive....yet.

After reading option #5....well....that seems plausible too :D

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jamesernestomurray
    Top Bottom