Should Louisiana teachers be allowed to conceal carry?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Because my kids aren't walking with her and she isn't in a classroom where crossfire is a major concern and school kids are potential backstops. LEO who go through way more than a 4 day class make mistakes all the time

Motor51
    No one would /force/ her to pull the trigger more than anyone else in any environment they have a gun in. But if they /do/ have a safe shot, it'd be nice if she had the choice.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I've remained consistent.

My side is that the teachers should be able to exercise the rights to bear arms the same as they would outside of school. That is, in Louisiana, that if they go through the proper CHP process, be able to carry at work. I've never said different. I find it incredulous that people would say that they shouldn't carry because of gender issues. I find it unbelievable that people are talking about 'accepting' that some places should be "gun free" and that our God given rights are for subject to the fickle and fancy of pick-and-choose empowerment.

Do you think going through the CHP class gives you enough training to confront an active shooter in a school full of kids?

Motor51

JamesBlake

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Picture this...an inner city classroom made up of 35 thugs and one 26 year old 122 lb female teacher with a handgun on her person.... and the thugs know that she has the handgun. This is not going to end well..

With proper training she would have the gun well concealed and retained, and I would say if students are trying to disarm her they will be close enough for a no miss shot. Same as the world, if your big enough to try to disarm a teacher you get what you get.

I'm a no to pepper spray, that would seriously cloud the water for first ..I mean second responders.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    No one would /force/ her to pull the trigger more than anyone else in any environment they have a gun in. But if they /do/ have a safe shot, it'd be nice if she had the choice.

That's kind of my point. If he/she is not confident with her abilities because of lack of training he/she is not going to shoot. Now you have added an extra firearm to the situation.

Motor51

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Do you think going through the CHP class gives you enough training to confront an active shooter in a school full of kids?

Motor51
    I think the tools you need to assess the situation are completely independent of any training class. You shouldn't need a class to know whether or not you have a safe shot to take.

My 5 year old knows the 4 rules, which include "Don't point your gun at anything you're not willing to destroy" and "Know your target, background, and foreground"

I believe that anyone who takes their life seriously and carries a gun for the protection of themselves or others should seek as much training as they can stomach. I don't believe it should be /required/ before you're allowed to possess a tool that increases your chances of survival against evil forces.

I believe that everyone has the right to bear arms and that any restrictions or requirements before being "allowed" to carry them is an infringement on that right.

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    My mom is a teacher and it's a daily occurrence where she has to get between two students who are about to fist fight as the only way to stop it. I'd be horrified if she was carrying and a student grabbed her weapon in one of these circumstances.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    So what do you guys think the requirement should be for someone to get to exercise their rights protected by the Second Amendment of the Bill of Rights, and our own State Constitution?

Should we have a permit to carry in some places, and a different permit in others?

How many hours before I get to carry in government buildings? :rolleyes:

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    So since the problems here are about there being a crowd... should I be allowed to carry in a movie theater? A mall? Pretty crowded places if you ask me...

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    The only thing that we CAN safely assume beyond the shadow of any doubt whatsoever on this subject is that an UNARMED teacher confronting an active shooter is most-likely going to DIE. Period.

I am not ready to say for certain that a teacher carrying concealed who hasn't gone through SWAT-level training will make a school shooting worse than it already is with no possibilty of armed resistance.

But I can assure you that will be the exact arguement those favoring tighter gun restrictions will use when posed with this same question. ;)

Here's something interesting, as well...

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Ind-law-already-allows-teachers-to-carry-guns-4135005.php

Last edited:

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    Properly trained to what goal?

To be able to have "permission" to bear arms and protect themselves?

I train as much as finances practically allow - I know what it means to train with the interest of being ready for professional criminals. That doesn't mean I think everyone should /have/ to do what I do in order to get /permission/ to exercise their inalienable rights.

No offense, but you're badly out of touch with reality. Your "soapbox rhetoric' has nothing to do with competency.

Based on your previous posts, it's clear that you derive some level of enjoyment or satisfaction from internet debates. Hopefully that enthusiasm will carry over into some serious (significant) handgun training. In the meantime, have fun posting.:rolleyes:

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    So since the problems here are about there being a crowd... should I be allowed to carry in a movie theater? A mall? Pretty crowded places if you ask me...

Is the crowd a bunch of adolescents who do not have fully developed brains that you will be around every single day? Will these overly emotional and immature people notice the handgun printing at any time? In the heat of the moment would they feel it necessary to disarm you to use the weapon against you?

That is my major concern. As a teacher you spend a lot of time with the same students. All it takes is one mistake for your gun to print or be exposed in some way. Quite a few of my mother's students aren't your normal kids they are 6 foot tall muscle bound adults with a kid's mind. Some of the students are flat out terrifying. Some are just plain thugs who would do anything to disarm my mother if they knew she was armed just to use the gun to aid their drug addiction.

My mother carrying a firearm at school would put her at a much greater risk than the tiny chance someone comes in to shoot up the school.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    I am on a pretty consistent trend of 2-3 professional classes a year, and do well, thanks.

It's not so much about internet debates - it's the shock of seeing people on bayoushooter of all places, willing to sell their freedoms up the river because they're scared. Says a whole hell of a lot. I see it in a lot of places, and just ignore it, for the most part, and engage it politely when possible to hopefully enlighten someone.

I expected better, here, though. I thought this Bill Ruger type ******** that hurt us so badly before was behind us. This "No Honest Man Needs More than Ten Rounds in a Magazine" crap has to stop. This "Guns are great except..." No. You either think people should be able to carry their weapons (BEAR arms, not just OWN arms) for personal protection and defense, or you are simply a traitor to a core principle this country was founded on. I know plenty people think guns are bad, ban guns, blah blah blah.

I juts didn't expect to see it here. Sorry if disappointment made me speak hastily and angrily.

wadepat2

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Jan 10, 2008
    Delcambre,La
    If a teacher is carrying to protect there self or family than I think they have that right just as we all should have. If they are carrying with the responsibilty to protect other peoples children than those parents have just as much right to set guidlines for the teachers training.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Is the crowd a bunch of adolescents who do not have fully developed brains that you will be around every single day? Will these overly emotional and immature people notice the handgun printing at any time? In the heat of the moment would they feel it necessary to disarm you to use the weapon against you?

That is my major concern. As a teacher you spend a lot of time with the same students. All it takes is one mistake for your gun to print or be exposed in some way. Quite a few of my mother's students aren't your normal kids they are 6 foot tall muscle bound adults with a kid's mind. Some of the students are flat out terrifying. Some are just plain thugs who would do anything to disarm my mother if they knew she was armed just to use the gun to aid their drug addiction.

My mother carrying a firearm at school would put her at a much greater risk than the tiny chance someone comes in to shoot up the school.
    Then by all means... don't force her to carry. Let her have the choice though, is all I'm saying. Let the teacher in the next room carry for her... let the principal carry.

The choice is what should never be taken away.

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    It's not just about her though I am only using her as an example. Let's say a 5' nothing female teacher with no muscle mass decides to carry at school and a thug notices the weapon. What then? It will only take one time for this to happen to send the media into a huge frenzy and set the entire pro gun movement backwards.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    It's not just about her though I am only using her as an example. Let's say a 5' nothing female teacher with no muscle mass decides to carry at school and a thug notices the weapon. What then? It will only take one time for this to happen to send the media into a huge frenzy and set the entire pro gun movement backwards.
    You're talking about situations that /might/ happen /anywhere/ and using it as an excuse to disarm a population.

I don't think we ought to bother talking about it - we'll never see eye to eye.

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    You're talking about situations that /might/ happen /anywhere/ and using it as an excuse to disarm a population.

I don't think we ought to bother talking about it - we'll never see eye to eye.

Why be on a discussion forum if you don't want to discuss. I see your view point. The 2nd amendment shall not be infringed. We all know the words and what they mean. Gun free zones are ridiculous but when it comes to giving students easy access to firearms it's not as easy as saying "let everyone who wants to carry a gun".

So your argument is teachers should be able to carry a gun in the classroom. I countered with my argument that some teachers will not take that responsibility seriously and will be practically giving a loaded firearm to an angry student. Your response is that my situation is a hypothetical one. Give me a hypothetical situation on your side? All teachers carry guns all students get along another school shooting never happens and everyone lives happily ever after? What experience do you have with teaching and schools and students/teachers?

Any discussion that involves children is going to be a messy one with no easy answer.

Top Bottom