Show & Tell - My overnight/3 day pack

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    So I am carrying 18lb 4oz total before water and food. That is not as bad as I thought. With the new sleeping bag and dropping some items I think the next trip will be a little easier.

That's actually really good, considering you have some heavier items!

I do have an ENO Hammock and Atlas straps, but have only used it on day hikes. I think the next trip, I may bring it. It should shave 3-4lbs easily.

MTregre

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    St. Charles Parish
    I just put a pack together for some 2-3 day hiking trips. Relatively new, so I'm sure I'm missing something and should be missing something.

I too went with the Kelty Redwing 50. The main problem I am having is my tent, those damn poles don't pack down under 24", but the tents been great.

In the Pack:
    Thermarest sleeping pad, Eureka SilverCity sleeping bag, Eureka Timberline
    Jet boil w/2 spare fuel cans, Lrg poncho (camo), Lrg yellow poncho, 2.5L bladder
    Spare batteries in hard case, bio TP, 3pairs socks, 1 pair pants, 2 Tshirts
    Firstaid/trauma kit, 72hr's food, 2 bottles water for cooking

Pockets and sides:
    Tent poles, hothands, 2 emergency blankets, headlamp, 75' 550
    bio wash towels, waterproof cell phone case, repair kit, rope, bag cover
    utencils, electric light stick, 2 dryer lent tinder rolls, matches
    bio soap, instant towels, spare headlamp, mulitool, hygiene kit (not pictured)

On me:
    sun glasses, knife, lighter, and I have one of the long side pockets empty for snacks and my water bottle.

Its a bit heavy, but carries well. Ill put it to the test overnight soon. I need to add my machete. I could easily loose the extra shirts/pants, water bottles. Opinions are more than welcome. Point is, this pack has plenty of room.

20151004_201426_zpssdjwpzjx.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]
    20151004_213310_zpste7udvy1.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]
    20151004_203029_zpsilycczhf.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]
    20151004_203023_zpstfznngwq.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I just put a pack together for some 2-3 day hiking trips. Relatively new, so I'm sure I'm missing something and should be missing something.

You're on the right track, but you may want to weigh everything out. It's a real eye opener when you see how heavy some things weigh, and you will question if they are truly relevant. I'm unsure where you will be hiking, but I already see a few things you could leave out or change.

I'll actually be putting my Kelty Redwing up for sale. It's a great pack, but it just doesn't do what I want it to do in a pack. I was thinking of keeping it as a heavy haul range bag, which would work great, but I think I'm going to downsize. It's actually larger than I need.

Edit - I highly recommend you invest (the measly $20) into a Sawyer water filter. We used three on a recent hike, and they all performed flawlessly.

Last edited:

MTregre

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    St. Charles Parish
    You're on the right track, but you may want to weigh everything out. It's a real eye opener when you see how heavy some things weigh, and you will question if they are truly relevant. I'm unsure where you will be hiking, but I already see a few things you could leave out or change.

I'll actually be putting my Kelty Redwing up for sale. It's a great pack, but it just doesn't do what I want it to do in a pack. I was thinking of keeping it as a heavy haul range bag, which would work great, but I think I'm going to downsize. It's actually larger than I need.

Edit - I highly recommend you invest (the measly $20) into a Sawyer water filter. We used three on a recent hike, and they all performed flawlessly.

I had decided on the LifeStraw. I see the Sawyer filters better, Ill check it out. Thanks.
    As for weight, its heavy, 28lbs with food and water. Not as heavy as a ruck, but heavier than Id like. Ill have to try it out a couple of times and shed from there. I have the "bring that too" complex right now.
    The tent alone is 5lbs 13oz. I could cut the food in half and scrap the redundant stuff. But please share what you would remove! I am all ears

Rigolette

Pronounced "Row Gully"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2014
    Bossier City, Louisiana
    I've done quite a bit of backpacking throughout Louisiana, Arkansas and Oklahoma, mostly Arkansas, when I was a Boy Scout Scoutmaster. I took my boys on two backpacking trips each year and would only allow them to carry no more than 25lbs. in their pack. Mine normally weighed in around 30 lbs. The Caroline Dorman trail is an excellent choice to try out your gear. It's located in the Kisatchie Hills Wilderness. http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/kisatchie/recreation/recarea/?recid=34823

Top Bottom