Sig 226 broke

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadslugga

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    The takedown lever on my SIG 226 9mm broke. The lever itself is just loose so it no longer rotates the bar. The gun still works, but I can't disassemble it, which means I can't thoroughly clean it, and I just can't have that!

The thing is old. I got it used. It says "made in west germany" on it, so it is pre-berlin wall I guess. I've put tens of thousands of rounds through it. I guess it is about time something wore out. Of all things though. I don't even know what caused it to break. I guess I'll have to send it back to SIG.

Does anyone know if they do this kind of repair for free? I might go ahead and get them to do a spring replacement/refinishing service while it's there.

swamper

Curmudgeon in Training
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Pineville
    I had the exact same thing happen to my P229 about a month or so after I bought it brand new. You can use a flathead screwdriver to rotate the takedown lever from the other side. I would recommend wrapping the screwdriver blade with tape to prevent removal of the finish on the gun however. It's a pretty simple DIY if you want to do it yourself.

If you need to get another takedown lever, Top Gun Supply usually has these in stock. I got mine much faster from them than when waiting on one from Sig.

Blue Takedown Lever

Nickel Takedown Lever

Gumbo

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Lafayette
    The takedown lever on my 229 was either corroded or was improperly finished at the factory, but after about 2 months, it was a brownish rust color while the rest of the hardware maintained it's finish. I sent an email to Sig customer service, never heard back. Sent another one two months later, got a reply almost immediately, gave her some info, and had the two takedown lever in my hands two days later, free of charge. Sig customer service is a crap shoot these days. I'd call them up and send in your gun. Sounds like it could use some TLC.

Top Bottom