Sig P238 feeding issues

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CajunCracker

Beastmode
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 15, 2011
    Lafayette
    Hey guys,

So I just bought a new sig p238 today. Now I love the little mini 1911's because of my wifes Colt Mustang. So I saw this gun and decided to get it for me since the colts are way more expensive and these seem to be pretty good quality. First thing I did was load some Winchester supreme elite 95 grain jhp's in it to see how they fed. I immediately had issues with it stove piping, and that was just cycling it by hand. The slide was having trouble just pulling back. I'm not sure why. I really had to get into it a couple times. Long story short I threw some fmj's in it and they cycle fine. Now I'm just trying to really figure out if I just need to break it in by shooting it (which obviously I need to do to make sure there actually is a problem which I'm pretty sure there is) or polishing the feed ramp real good. I am afraid of the results I will get though. So, basically I'm wondering if anybody here has had the same issues and what their solution/fix is or whether I should send it to Sig.
    Thanks!

JL

Crimson

Hk convert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Monroe, La
    Shooting it will break it in and show the areas you need polishing the worst. Once you see what needs polishing you can smooth it out from there.

deadidunn

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 3, 2010
    Hineston, LA
    Like the others said, shoot it. I've read through several articles lately with .380 comparisons and several of them noted problems with Winchester hollow points, but as I recall it was a feeding issue, not so much a stove piping problem.

CajunCracker

Beastmode
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 15, 2011
    Lafayette
    Yeah that's what I was going to have to do anyway, I just didn't like at all the guns inability to feed the hollow points just by simply manually cycling it. I don't think that should ever be an issue with such a ( so called) high quality handgun. I feel like this should be a non issue. If push comes to shove I might just have to shoot fmj out of it for my carry rounds. I'm gonna try some other brands of hollow points and see what I've got. But, before I hit the panic button, I'm gonna go shoot it and r break it in real good.

aaron_j

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Meraux,La
    i know its "modeled" after a 1911, a proper break in on one is 200+ rds. go run another 3 boxes through it, itll loosen up. my sig pro .40 i bought used off a guy who only shot 1 mag through it. had a few issues rhe first two times i shot it but not it runs just fine. ive probably put about 250rds through it since.

jguilletjr

Saw Bones
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Lafayette, La
    The only feeding issues I have had with mine was some of my handloads. It has functioned perfectly with all factory ammo.
    Did you clean and lubricate it prior to shooting, or just take it out of the box and go with it?

My issue with the reloads was my error and I have since worked it out. Now the little 380 functions perfectly with every thing I feed it.

I have read that the early Sig P238s had some problems. Their website shows a recall on some early production modles. You might check on that.

Shooting a couple of hundred rounds through it to break it in is a good Idea. If the proablem continues contact Sig.

jguilletjr

Saw Bones
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Lafayette, La
    Yeah that's what I was going to have to do anyway, I just didn't like at all the guns inability to feed the hollow points just by simply manually cycling it. I don't think that should ever be an issue with such a ( so called) high quality handgun. I feel like this should be a non issue. If push comes to shove I might just have to shoot fmj out of it for my carry rounds. I'm gonna try some other brands of hollow points and see what I've got. But, before I hit the panic button, I'm gonna go shoot it and r break it in real good.

I use the Hornaday critical defense ammo with no problems at all.

Irish750

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2013
    Small-town, Texas
    Bought a p238 couple of week ago and had feeding problems with first round. Two conditions made it worse: hollow-point as opposed to round nose ammunition and loading the magazine to full capacity--it worked better if I stopped 1 round short of magazine capacity.

Looked like the hollow-points were jamming on the feed ramp. Feed ramp felt a bit rough. I polished the feed ramp to actually be shiny smooth with a Dremel tool, cloth bit and jewelers rouge. Next trip to range, fired 150 rounds without issues.

Either polishing the feed ramp worked or got the gun broken in....not sure which!! Bottom line, very pleased with it. Pleasure to shoot--accurate, minimal recoil...love the smooth single action trigger.

Crippler7815

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Lafayette, LA
    Had the exact same problem last week, but loaded 7-8 mags w/ hollow points and a hard nose as the first round to chamber.

Fired flawlessly, once I got 30-35 hollow points through with the hard nose helper, they fed no problem for the rest of the range session.

About 550 rounds at the end of the session, for reference.

Ben Segrest

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Lafayette
    Hey guys,

So I just bought a new sig p238 today. Now I love the little mini 1911's because of my wifes Colt Mustang. So I saw this gun and decided to get it for me since the colts are way more expensive and these seem to be pretty good quality. First thing I did was load some Winchester supreme elite 95 grain jhp's in it to see how they fed. I immediately had issues with it stove piping, and that was just cycling it by hand. The slide was having trouble just pulling back. I'm not sure why. I really had to get into it a couple times. Long story short I threw some fmj's in it and they cycle fine. Now I'm just trying to really figure out if I just need to break it in by shooting it (which obviously I need to do to make sure there actually is a problem which I'm pretty sure there is) or polishing the feed ramp real good. I am afraid of the results I will get though. So, basically I'm wondering if anybody here has had the same issues and what their solution/fix is or whether I should send it to Sig.
    Thanks!

JL
    I read the OP twice and still don't understand what stovepipes and feed ramps have in common.

jguilletjr

Saw Bones
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Lafayette, La
    Hey guys,

Thanks!

JL

Did you clean it prior to shooting? Mine never missed a beat on a variety of Ammo including my hand loads. That being said shoot a few hundred rounds through it If the problem persists Contact Sig.

Top Bottom