Sig P290

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bronzdragon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Yardley, PA
    Interesting, I had just caught a youtube video on it, and it seemed kinda thick. And you're right, I was comparing it to the lc9 as a new model for my wife and possibly me. Good call.

~rc~

Ryan316

My way or the highway
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Kenner, LA
    I'm getting either a P290 or the Kimber Solo. They're close to the exact same size although I think the Kimber is lighter. They both look really nice. Whichever one feels better is the one I'm getting. I haven't personally seen either yet in stores but I've seen both on gunbroker. I'd guess they'll be showing up in Nola in about 6-8 weeks?

bronzdragon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Yardley, PA
    The Kimber solo does look pretty nice. I would be hesitant to switch to Kimber from Sig, just due to my good experience with Sig over the years and from what I've heard on Kimbers. It is tempting though....hrm.

~rc~

Ryan316

My way or the highway
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Kenner, LA
    The Solo has had some reliability and finish issues.

The P290, in best recent Sig tradition, is shipping with ONE magazine.

If it was me, I'd wait a while before jumping on either of these new pistols.

I'm definitly waiting. I figure 6-8 weeks before I pick up both to see the grip, etc, & then an uncertain amount of time to see what kind of problems arise with either. I haven't heard jack about the performance of either though, what have you heard about the Kimber's reliability? I've never owned a Kimber or Sig pistol before.

Ryan316

My way or the highway
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Kenner, LA
    Several mentions of reliability issues, and numerous mentions of some sort of finish problem regarding the slide. I didn't pay very close attention, but I did skim the threads.

These posts were on the Sig Forum and Defensive Carry forum.

Thank you, I'm gonna go check them out.

visco

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Pearl River
    Last weeks Cabelas add in the TP has the 290 advertised for $669 with 2 mags. Didn't make it to BR to check it out though.

Rahllin

Geaux Tigers!
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I don't understand why everyone feels the P290 is so thick. I have heard this several times. I have not handled one yet, but I would think that either it would be the same thickness as the LC9 which is only 1/10 of an inch thicker than the LCP... OR, Sig lied on their specs on their site? I don't know. I think I need to just find some of these and handle them side by side.

Rahllin

Geaux Tigers!
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    In my former profession, we called that "a clue"... ;)

But, that doesn't make sense given the specs listed by Sig... "thick" is a word of comparison. Is this "thick" compared to an LC9? 0.9in is 0.9in Yes that is "thick" in comparison to a car key, but not in comparison to a car. According to Sig the slide of the P290 is .9in thick... this is "slim" in comparison to the Kahr PM9 at 0.94in, however, it is the same as the LC9. I didn't say your opinion was wrong, it is your opinion. What I said was that I don't understand WHY people, not just you, say the Sig P290 is "thick" when it is right at the exact same width as the thinnest 9mm's commonly available...

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I handled both at jims firearms on Thursday. I wasn't impressed by either. I will stick with the kahr and kel tec. The sig did feel quite thick and awkward and the price was $699. They had both in stock so if you are around there stop in and look for yourself.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    If you somehow meant the opposite of this statement, then yes, that would be true.

:chuckles:

I literally just finished reading an article about the Solo, and the P290 has one right behind it in the same gun rag.

Like LSP, my first thought was-- striker fired pistol + safety = why bother. Seems rather gimmicky, especially with the rag writer reminding me every paragraph that it was a compact 9mm with 1911 ergonomics. Yay! He also said that the only reliability problem he ran into was making sure the round at the top of the mag is properly (think he meant "perfectly") seated. Of course... there were 5 Kimber adds in that magazine, not including the one he called a "review". :mamoru:

To be completely fair and honest, I don't have any interest at all in this particular market niche. Pocket pistols are one thing; compacts are another. Something in between definitely doesn't appeal to me-- but I have the luxury of full sized carry 90% of the time. I have shot (a mag through) a PF9, and while the gun felt good in the hand, it was not very pleasant to shoot. And no matter how well made a pistol of similar dimensions, I can't imagine it'd be notably better. YMMV of course.

Baldrik78

Misanthrope Savant
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    There will be plenty of folks interested in it, though. I just hope not too many of them get hosed with a problematic pistol.

Most of the people that would buy it probably don't shoot enough to know are getting hosed. Buy it, load it, stick it in the night stand and forget about it until they go scrummaging in the drawer for a condom or a pair of tweezers. Perhaps both.

Top Bottom