Sight upgrade for a Ruger Security Six

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scott.Thornton

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Denham Area
    I had the opportunity to pick up a 4 inch stainless Ruger Security Six recently and I hate the front sight. A black rear sight is good by me, but that front blade sucks for me, and my wife. I've done some quick googlefu and come up with the xs big dot and the standard dot for the nose of it and was wondering if anyone knew of anything better? The gun is really just going to be a range toy with a solid amount of time sitting by the bed for a bump in the night gun. I can't mount a white light on it like I'd prefer but a more visible front sight couldn't hurt for either purpose. So what do the revolver people on here know that I don't know about this fine firearm.

marmy7451

Bill
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Livingston Parish
    XS makes a big dot specifically for the J frame that fits over the existing front site. From looking at my J frames and the old security sixes I believe that the front blade is thicker than the J frame. I suspect you could mill it to the correct thickness and use the J frame XS. I have a 3" J frame with the XS and it performs well.

Scott.Thornton

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Denham Area
    XS makes a big dot specifically for the J frame that fits over the existing front site. From looking at my J frames and the old security sixes I believe that the front blade is thicker than the J frame. I suspect you could mill it to the correct thickness and use the J frame XS. I have a 3" J frame with the XS and it performs well.

They actually have a made to fit big and standard dot. I'm trying not to mill the original since it is a cool gun as is. Reminds me a lot of shooting my dads security six growing up, but his has a hair trigger in single action.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    Hope you are satisfied with stealing that piece from me.:(

Really wish I would have had the $ to hang on to it, just got caught in a spot. On another note, I am glad that you didn't get a verbal beat down for bringing it home, or at least I assume you didn't being that the wifey is shooting it too.:D

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Ha! My wife was mad at me for selling my speed six years ago! She liked that gun. I pointed it out when it was listed but she said no, she didn't want it for Christmas...

I had the same problem with the front sight. I added a dot of white paint to the front sight about 3/4 of the way up and it helped a lot.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado

Really wish I would have had the $ to hang on to it, just got caught in a spot. On another note, I am glad that you didn't get a verbal beat down for bringing it home, or at least I assume you didn't being that the wifey is shooting it too.:D

I admit, it was a good deal. It wasn't what I was looking for, but I had to think about it a little. :)

I had one just like it for a little bit and that front sight is just a pinned front blade. You can get a orange insert for them..... I think Jim's has some in the back because I needed to replace mine. You have to drill and file to fit them though. It shouldn't be hard to find a sight and have it fitted and installed. I know bowen classic arms does this, but some local gunsmith should be able to do this.

Personally, I would just keep the original serrated sight on it. It will work better for target work.

Scott.Thornton

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Denham Area

It was more of a tounge lashing actually, and since she wasn't able to shoot for the last 9 months I think she would enjoy shooting anything. I do appreciate it though, and I promise I'll take good care of her.

Scott.Thornton

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Denham Area
    I admit, it was a good deal. It wasn't what I was looking for, but I had to think about it a little. :)

I had one just like it for a little bit and that front sight is just a pinned front blade. You can get a orange insert for them..... I think Jim's has some in the back because I needed to replace mine. You have to drill and file to fit them though. It shouldn't be hard to find a sight and have it fitted and installed. I know bowen classic arms does this, but some local gunsmith should be able to do this.

Personally, I would just keep the original serrated sight on it. It will work better for target work.

I agree it would work better for target work, but I just don't pick it up quick enough for the bedside gun aspect of it. You are also correct in the pinned in front blade part of your statement, I need to get on brownells and find a pin punch now. It's gonna be tiny.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom