Silencer/ bullet marking question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Can LEO determine if a recovered bullet was fired through a silencer? Does it change the rifling marks or leave a different amount of powder residue on the base, etc?

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    The bullet should not hit the baffles in any way, so it should not make any marks. I'm using logic, but someone else probably knows more than I.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I wasn't even thinking of it hitting the baffles! I was thinking of the burning powder and gasses being able to flow ahead of the bullet inside the silencer and leaving residue in the marks from the lands and grooves.

I was watching a tv show recently (csi, ncis, bones, etc.) and they looked at a bullet taken from a corpse in a microscope and announced that it had been fired through a silencer. Just wondering if this was possible.

madmax4x4

HONKY
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    New Orleans
    Can LEO determine if a recovered bullet was fired through a silencer? Does it change the rifling marks or leave a different amount of powder residue on the base, etc?
    . The extra rifling marks they talk about on TV only come from half ass home build integrally suppressed guns. When some guy drills a ton of holes down his barrel and puts the can over it. The bad drill job is what put the marks on. A good can will not. Not even a old can with wipes marks puts more rifling marks on. But yea it's TV.

sonanth

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    New Iberia, LA
    Possible residue from an ablative medium used in the can found on bullet :dunno:? I don't believe there is a way to tell just from bullet alone.

slogoat

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 29, 2007
    Lake Charles
    If anything, I would think less gas would get ahead of the bullet out of a suppressor. The can slows the gas down, not the bullet. (in a baffle strike free world)

madmax4x4

HONKY
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    New Orleans
    search
    On TV they can get DNA results back the same day!
    Picture-12.jpg.html

Last edited:
    Top Bottom