Silencer/supressor help

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fng

Rating - 100%
    23   0   1
    Nov 2, 2008
    St. Charles Parish
    I *think* I have decided to put a can on my .308, & will go the trust route for sure *if* I decide to buy one, and pay an attorney set it up for me so its done right. Aside from the obvious noise reduction, what other ways do silencers/supressors effect the way this type of rifle will shoot? Will recoil be any less, will I lose any accuracy?Now, I need some help choosing the right gear, for those of you who have put a can on your bolt action 308 or similar, please post your set up or any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    With a quality suppressor, you should experience a reduction in recoil or muzzle flip. You will likely have a shift in the point of impact, but the shift is generally consistent.

I have an AAC SDN-6 that I put on a Tikka CTR .308. My understanding is that the SDN-6 in not considered a great option for precision shooting, but it serves my needs fine, and the noise reduction is substantial. I have found it to be superior to the Silencerco Saker 762 in that regard. It does have a point of impact shift when I attach it, but at 600 yards and closer, the shift is negligible and predictable. Just learn your hold over/under and its not a problem for hunting or shooting steel plates.

ETA: Depending on how much shooting you are doing in a single sitting, and the distance, you may consider investing in a suppressor cover to reduce mirage.

Last edited:

tikanni

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    Metairie, LA
    I run the Surefire Socom 7.62 suppressor on my Remington 700 .308. Very little to zero point of impact with the can. It's a really nice suppressor.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428719925.594288.jpg

BlueHeaven

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 16, 2014
    Kenner, La
    My experience

I have a Remington 700 .308. Silencerco Specwar shooting HSM subsonic. Very little recoil. Very quiet.

Need a trust and class III items. I use Kenny @ Meplat Group in Metairie.

lattin1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Gun trusts are a pain in the ass, especially if you decide to add somebody to the trust after the fact. Its way easier to just register your class 3 stuff to an LLC in my opinion.

tikanni

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    Metairie, LA
    I *think* I have decided to put a can on my .308, & will go the trust route for sure *if* I decide to buy one, and pay an attorney set it up for me so its done right. Aside from the obvious noise reduction, what other ways do silencers/supressors effect the way this type of rifle will shoot? Will recoil be any less, will I lose any accuracy?Now, I need some help choosing the right gear, for those of you who have put a can on your bolt action 308 or similar, please post your set up or any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance

If you gonna do a gun trust, PM to JCcypress. He is a lawyer that does them. He is a great guy, easy to deal with, fast, and does great work.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Gun trusts are a pain in the ass, especially if you decide to add somebody to the trust after the fact. Its way easier to just register your class 3 stuff to an LLC in my opinion.

That's not true at all. With a properly written trust it literally couldn't be easier to add/remove individuals.

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA

For my clients, adding a trustee only requires a phone call (all clients have my personal cell number) and I don't charge for it.

I can help establish LLCs also, but the initial fee, and annual fees to the Secretary of State are usually a turn off to my clients. Plus, I believe that the Secretary of State charges to file amendments to the articles of organization. That said, LLCs do have the advantage of being perpetual in nature. Just depends on one's personal desires, I guess.

bravo619

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 1, 2012
    TULSA,OK
    Trusts are a must especially if something were to happen to you otherwise your dogs will be shot and the and will be all up in your house! Claiming what you left them!

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:
    1. Jesus Christ
    2. The American G. I.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Lafsnguy

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 11, 2009
    Lafayette
    Using a silencer can reduce recoil, increase accuracy and lead to an overall more enjoyable shooting experience. Generally I would recommend a direct thread can if all you plan on putting it on is a bolt action rifle. They are usually lighter and have less point of impact change. Or you could go with something like the Omega that has direct thread and QD options available. If you do end up buying one just be prepared because you can't own just one haha.

Top Bottom