Silencerco mounting options for centerfire cans.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Can someone post some videos or links that gives in depth and detailed explanations of the different types of Silencerco branded mounts for their centerfire rifle cans? Im trying to learn and visually weight out my options for my hosts for when I get a few new toys. Thanks.

Commentary on pros and cons of each mounting system would be nice too. I like yalls input.

Lafsnguy

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 11, 2009
    Lafayette
    I don't have a video but can explain the different mounting systems. Their ASR mount is similar to the AAC 51 tooth mounting system. Basically you spin the can on the mount and then rotate a collar which pushes down some arms that engage some teeth on the back of the mount. It's better than the 51 tooth mount because when removing it and mounting it the teeth aren't rubbing against each other so they won't wear out. Downside to this mount is it can't be mounted under a hand guard and you need two hands to remove it.

The trifecta mount that is standard on the saker is a tapered mount that can be mounted and removed with one hand. You put the can on the mount and spin it until it drops down on the mount and then continue to spin it until the can is securely mounted. There are some arms inside the mount on the can that extend out and press the tapered flash hider into the mount. To take it off is just the opposite. Problem I have seen with this mount is after shooting it and letting it cool it can sometimes be difficult to remove. However if you hit the end of the can with your hand on the top bottom left and right side it pretty much solves this problem. If I had to pick between the two I would probably take the saker mount over the ASR just because it's a one hand deal. Both mounts are solid and work well just my personal preference. What rifles are you planning on suppressing? Reason I ask is if you are looking at the Omega it isn't rated for say 6.8 on anything less than a 16 inch barrel. I would look at what calibers/barrel lengths you are planning on suppressing and use that as your starting point.

Lafsnguy

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 11, 2009
    Lafayette
    Also forgot to add direct thread obviously. It's the simplest way to attach a silencer. Also is the lightest because you don't have a flash hider or muzzle brake and generally speaking direct thread silencers are lighter than their QD counterparts. Only issue with direct thread is that the silencer can back off. QD doesn't solve that problem just makes it less likely to happen.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    I was thinking the Saker 7.62. I have a 7.5" 5.56 and a scar 16. Will be getting something in 308 sooner than later. Im just not certain what I want yet. I like the scar heavy but theyre so damn expensive. Also going to build a 300blk sbr upper too...I may do that 1st because my Octane will handle up on the subsonic loads.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I have quite a few 300 blk uppers if you ever want to try out. I live in the westbank and I'm not sure if y'all allow it to be shot in your range at gretna gun, but I would be willing to bring it over if you did.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    I have quite a few 300 blk uppers if you ever want to try out. I live in the westbank and I'm not sure if y'all allow it to be shot in your range at gretna gun, but I would be willing to bring it over if you did.

300blk Subs should be OK on the range. Just no super sonics. Do you have a Octane/osprey can and or piston to direct thread onto your upper?

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I have an osprey and a 762sdn6, and uppers in 8.5, 9, and 10.5 inch. Don't have a piston for direct thread though

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Off the top of my head I don't know what Pistons I have, I know I have two, one fits my fnp tactical and the other fits my usp tactical

US Infidel

TRUST NO ONE
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Earth
    Are yall talking about a regular octane 5/8 x 24 piston? I have a direct thread with a spacer if you need to use it. Let me know, I'll bring it with me today just in case.

Last edited:

NOShooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2014
    New Orleans
    I have an octane fixed mount as well.

I would not go saker. The saker is the only Sico can that isnt using the specwar/omega mounting system. It's the bastard stepchild. I've heard of lockup issues with the saker mounts.

I have not had an issue with my specwar style mounts. they lock up tight. Just remember, rocksett is your friend. Normal threadlocker will liquify and your attachment device will come off with the can.

Depending on how much you enjoy timing muzzle brakes, you make want to look at the flash hider mount option.

I have the brake on my 5.56 DMR, a remmy 700 and my 9" .300AAC SBR. I have the flash hider on my POF-USA piston gun.

The specwar 7.62 is a tough SOB. Still waiting on my omega to get out of atf limbo.

Last edited:

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I have an octane fixed mount as well.

I would not go saker. The saker is the only Sico can that isnt using the specwar/omega mounting system. It's the bastard stepchild. I've heard of lockup issues with the saker mounts.

I have not had an issue with my specwar style mounts. they lock up tight. Just remember, rocksett is your friend. Normal threadlocker will liquify and your attachment device will come off with the can.

Depending on how much you enjoy timing muzzle brakes, you make want to look at the flash hider mount option.

I have the brake on my 5.56 DMR, a remmy 700 and my 9" .300AAC SBR. I have the flash hider on my POF-USA piston gun.

The specwar 7.62 is a tough SOB. Still waiting on my omega to get out of atf limbo.

I'm currently looking for another rifle can, haven't decided if I want another 762 can or go dedicated 556. Issue is, I have about a dozen rifles sporting the 51t, And would hate to have to change mounts or have 1/2 using 1 mount and 1/2 using the other. What do you think of the Saker using the MAAD module that accepts the 51t?

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    I was leaning towards the Saker style because you can mount it under a handguard. It would be nice to have a little bit longer guard on my shorter 7.5" barrel.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I was leaning towards the Saker style because you can mount it under a handguard. It would be nice to have a little bit longer guard on my shorter 7.5" barrel.

If I may add my 2 cents, Though I like the look of a suppressor under the rail. There are some down sides to it. For instance, You CANNOT shoot the rifle unsuppressed. The gas and pressure and ruin your rail if you tried, and possibly hold your hand incorrectly and burn yourself. Also the heat may transfer to your rail a little quicker considering how hot a suppressor gets from shooting (I've melted quite a few things by laying my suppressor on it after a day of shooting). With the right suppressor and hand guard combo, you can get a "flush" look which may alleviate some of those issue, and also opens your options on suppressors and mounts.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    My saker locks up tight!! I haven't heard any problems about lock up, only hard to take off sometimes

From what I read about the saker, it's not about how tight it locks up, it's about how hard it is to take off, sometimes requiring banging the suppressor to get it off. Still a great suppressor though, and is one of the ones I'm looking at due to being able to accept a 51t.

NOShooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2014
    New Orleans

I thought that too and did a 12" handguard on my 10.5" SBR and direct threaded my Octane. I then built another SBR with a 9.25" barrel and a 9" handguard to use with the Specwar.

After that I bought a direct thread gemtech 300blk can to put on the 10.5" gun, because i wanted to shoot supers out of it.

I'm still waiting for the gemtech can to get to me ( ATF limbo).

The look of the 9.25" gun is actually more to my liking now. I may cut the handguard back to be 10.5" on the original gun.

YoungMarine

Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    W. Feliciana
    Saker with trifecta is hard to get off of 5.56 guns if you let them cool. I would not recommend mounting it under handguard because you may have to take off the entire rail to remove it from barrel. I use welding gloves to take it off gun while hot, but sometimes that doesn't work and I have to use the included wrench on the rearmost maad module slots to get it off. Definitely use Rocksett on your mounts as someone mentioned earlier. Haven't really had a problem with .300 blackout or .308 hosts, but I don't get them nearly as hot. Great can, but just be aware that one-handed removal may not be an option all the time.

Top Bottom