Skeet Gun

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WHEELER

Don't Tread on Me
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Looking to get a new shotgun for skeet shooting. Considering the Benelli M2 Field 12 ga semi-auto in the 26" variety. They also offer a 24 & 28" bbl.

Other shotguns to consider?

James Cannon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Laffy
    I've shot skeet and trap for 20 years with my Rem 870 12 gauge. It never failed and it never missed.

+1

I only gave up the 870 when I won a Benelli Nova in a raffle/pool fundraiser, once. I like the Nova better, but the 870 did me GREAT.

pntbllr228

Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Right by LSU
    I love my 870, but I like the ability two have two diff chokes in one gun. You can only get that in an o/u or side by side. If I was going to go autoloader, I'd go beretta. My 390 has and does shoot everything. As reliable for me as my 870 has been.

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    Benelli M2 field is not a clay sports gun. You may get lucky
    and find one that will cycle light loads with the
    inertia recoil action but it will still batter your shoulder if you
    shoot a more than a couple rounds, or a 100 bird sporting clays course. If you were
    asking about a hunting gun, the benelli would be a fine choice, but there
    is a reason that you see tons of Beretta 390/391's on the
    clays course. Check one out, they will cycle light loads, are gas operated so therefore are more enjoyable to shoot in volume, and are super reliable/tough in the field also.

Nail Gun

Blissfully Ignorant
    Rating - 97.4%
    38   1   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Slidell
    For REAL skeet I strongly feel an O/U is the way to go.

I always felt the pattern should follow the same path as the disc. For me I kept in mind is the bird from the high house is dropping almost intantly. The disc from the low house is climbing for the majority of the shooting distance. The top barrel on most O/U's is close to dead on with your average shot. The bottom barrel is set so the shot pattern is climbing. For instance at 5 yards the center of your pattern may be 1" below the bead. At 20 yards it may be 2" above the bead. I always used my barrel selector so the top barrel would for the high house, and the bottom barrell was for the low house. Because of that I would also use the bottom barrel when I shot trap. That theory may be complete garbage but I convinced myself of it and it worked for me.

If you have very quick reflexes you'll find you can get a 2nd shot off faster with an O/U than an auto. Back when I shot daily I my Citori was my main gun. After shooting it for awhile I was shocked when I tried my dad's 1187. After getting used to the O/U the auto sounded and felt like it was going in slo-mo. I could hear and feel the bolt going back and up. It threw me so badly I missed every doubles shot. It's been long enough though an auto now cycles much faster than me.

Most skeet shooters go with a 26" barrel for a quick swing. I went with 28" for longer trap shots, sporting clays and hunting. An O/U is also shorter than an auto or pump with the same length barrel because it does not have a bolt that needs to cycle. Therefore they should have a faster swing as well.

Just some misguided opinions to keep in mind.

JLouv

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Youngsville
    I love my O/U's, <got 3 of 'em> but if you're just starting out and/or on a budget

The 870 is popular for a reason. You can't go wrong with it. Get used to it <practice>, and like the guy above, an autoloader will seem slow.

I knew a guy years back that could toss 5 clays into the air and hit all 5 with his 870 before they hit the ground. I was never that fast, but I could still shoot faster than an 1100.

Never tried or shot against the Beretta's though :( They are very popular now-a-days

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    That is true; if you get used to a pump (or an O/U), you can shoot faster than an autoloader. I've never shot that much to become that fast, but I have seen it happen.

Nail Gun

Blissfully Ignorant
    Rating - 97.4%
    38   1   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Slidell
    I've heard a well practiced shooter can cycle a pump faster than an auto. It sure seemed the "manuals" were faster than the auto guys. By the time I got my 870 I had been out of it long enough my reflexes had gone to pot. I've only shot it while hunting so I don't have enough practice to keep up with an auto.

Hell, sometimes I forget it's a pump. I've shot it and caught myself wondering why it didn't fire the next time I pull the trigger... It is a hell of a gun though. It's one of my favorites.

If you ever plan on reloading an O/U makes collecting your hulls much easier too.

JLouv

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Youngsville
    Hell, sometimes I forget it's a pump. I've shot it and caught myself wondering why it didn't fire the next time I pull the trigger... It is a hell of a gun though. It's one of my favorites.

Oh Snap!! I'd never admit to that!! Even if I'd ever done it....

Which, for the official record.......I haven't. I also don't drink, smoke, swear and chase women of questionable reputation either.

:mamoru:

WHEELER

Don't Tread on Me
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    I have an old dbl barrel already, my shoulder would be killing me after a day of shooting.. guess I should try lighter loads. It also does not have removable choke, so looking for a major upgrade. Been quite a while and I am looking to get back into it.

Nail Gun

Blissfully Ignorant
    Rating - 97.4%
    38   1   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Slidell
    Oh Snap!! I'd never admit to that!! Even if I'd ever done it....

Which, for the official record.......I haven't. I also don't drink, smoke, swear and chase women of questionable reputation either.

:mamoru:

I'm secure enough to admit I'm prone to brain farts. :D My favorite is when I went to demo my company's new cordless nail gun. After 5 years of selling pneumatics I'm so used to air hoses I went to connect an air hose to the cordless nailer in front of my boss and one of my biggest customers.

That goes to show how strongly conditioning can control one's basic actions.

JLouv

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Youngsville
    I got a great story involving an electrical storm, cordless electric razor and an idiot....but it's way too off topic to post here.

LOL :D

BobKaro

Yellow Boxes? Sweet!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Youngsville, LA
    Put me on the list of Beretta 390 supporters. I have an 870 and it's a good gun, but the 390 has been just as reliable everywhere I've taken it. Walking the marsh, sporting clays, thick woods, pouring down rain... it's worked great for all.

Nail Gun

Blissfully Ignorant
    Rating - 97.4%
    38   1   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Slidell
    I have an old dbl barrel already, my shoulder would be killing me after a day of shooting.. guess I should try lighter loads. It also does not have removable choke, so looking for a major upgrade. Been quite a while and I am looking to get back into it.

If the gun is too light a round of skeet will kick your butt regardless of the loads you use. That's another reason I chose 28" pipes for my O/U. That adds just a bit more weight... A good recoil pad helps.

Top Bottom