SKS anyone?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doug76

Road Warrior
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2012
    Southshore
    I bought a Yugo SKS last year, from Cabela's when they had them on sale and in stock. A never issued, all numbers matching M59/66A1 built in 1986 according to a serial number chart I found online. Paid $280 for it.
    My best friend had a Russian SKS, and was using it successfully for hog hunting. I liked it, so I bought one as soon as I could.
    Then I went a little crazy with it. I reckon the term is "tacticalized it".
    I installed the Tapco stock on it, not the usual black, but one in OD green. Removed the bayonet and grenade launcher, installed the necessary parts to make it 922r compliant, and proceeded to have a blast with it. It's not any lighter, but it is better balanced, and fits me better now than it did in it's old furniture.
    My friend liked it so much he did the same to his Russian, in black.
    We both kept all the old parts, just in case one day we want to covert them back to original.

bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I'm pretty sure 922r applies to manufacturers not the end user.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

It applies to whomever takes a rifle out of sporting (importable) configuration and makes it "non-sporting" such as the OP did.

(r) It shall be unlawful for any person to assemble from imported parts any semiautomatic rifle or any shotgun which is identical to any rifle or shotgun prohibited from importation under section 925 (d)(3) of this chapter as not being particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes...

Basically if it could not be imported the way you make it then you need to do the ten parts or less thing for 922r.

bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    wow. gov makes so much sense.

Sent from my SAMSUNG using Tapatalk 2

You can thank Bush I for that gem. They originally wanted it to be only one foreign part allowed but it was negotiated to ten.

http://www.nytimes.com/1989/07/08/us/import-ban-on-assault-rifles-becomes-permanent.html

"Larry Pratt, executive director of Gun Owners of America, called today's action ''a slap in the face to millions of Americans who voted for George Bush because of his well-publicized opposition to new gun control.'' The import ban, he said, would have no effect on crime and drug problems, but would ''simply be another infringement on the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding American citizens.''

The National Rifle Association said it would ''fight this decision in the courts, on Capitol Hill and at the ballot box.''"

johnmichael

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Hammond, La
    Yep, my Grandfather left me a Norinco when he passed away, I did the whole 'Tactical' thing and then after a couple years I came to hate the way it looked. I brought it back to stock because I wanted to remember it in the way it was left for me. Never had an issue with, low recoil, and powerful round. Its one of the guns I recommend to anyone. :)

trigger643

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Kingwood
    The only SKS prohibited from importation is the Chinese SKS. The others fall under C&R and 922r application applies only to Chinese type 54, 'sporter' and 'national match' polytech and norinco imported SKS rifles. As all but the 'sporter' and 'national match' models were already military configuration, changing original parts on all but the two aforementioned non-military types does not fall under 922r.

Romanian
    NVA capture type 54
    Russian
    Norinco imported type 54

DSC00189.jpg

Last edited:

bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    The only SKS prohibited from importation is the Chinese SKS. The others fall under C&R and 922r application applies only to Chinese type 54, 'sporter' and 'national match' polytech and norinco imported SKS rifles. As all but the 'sporter' and 'national match' models were already military configuration, changing original parts on all but the two aforementioned non-military types does not fall under 922r.

That is wrong. It has nothing to do with what is prohibited from importation by Clinton such as the Chinese guns. An SKS with the bayonet alone would be prohibited from importation as "non-sporting" but is allowed in as C&R. That does not give it a free pass for all future modifications. If you change it from the imported C&R configuration you need to follow 922r.

trigger643

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Kingwood
    If they're tacti-cooling it, yes, they fall into the 10 parts rule http://www.tapco.com/section922r/ . If they are changing only the stock for a Tapco-non pistol grip, no.

Personally I think anyone that tacti-cools an SKS falls into the same catagory as someone who would do this:

custom-ride-love-the-rims-custom-rim-car-chopped-stupid-human-1298845455.jpg

and probably would better spend their money on this:

img_6268-tfb.jpg

bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    If they're tacti-cooling it, yes, they fall into the 10 parts rule http://www.tapco.com/section922r/ . If they are changing only the stock for a Tapco-non pistol grip, no.

Personally I think anyone that tacti-cools an SKS falls into the same catagory as someone who would do this:

Correct, if you leave it in sporting configuration, such as with a Monte Carlo stock which it already has, then you have not changed it into a "non-sporting" configuration which 922r does not apply to. The ATF has also said you can take off certain features without removing the C&R status (such as removing the bayonets or Yugo grenade launcher).

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    I'll be trading a .54 Lyman great plains rifle for an sks(unsure of the model) with a cracked bolt carrier.
    It's definately gonna get fiddled with. Lol

justsomeguy

deranged.......
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 26, 2011
    Gretna
    Im trading a ruger 10/22 for a yugo sks this coming sunday. Guy says his 12 year old son cant handle it and wants to see him get a .22 to learn with instead. Its all good. I still have my ruger sr22 rifle. :)

Last edited:

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    Nothing against the sks, but it does nothing better than an ak in the smae caliber, and alot of things much worse. Detachable mags are a joke, allo f the tapco parts are just an ergonomic nightmare, and the action is neither built for precision nor ultimate reliability. There is a good reason the russians went with the ak over the sks...

Not knocking any sks owners here, I just do not see the point of the sks, when you can have an ak. Mags are cheaper, and better. The operating system is more robust, and the entire platform has had continual attention for the last 60yrs. Any and all parts and upgrades have much more r&d behind them. Like I said, I see the sks as the wrong answer to an old question...

Granted it will still put holes in stuff, but I see zero reason modding a sks, when the money could be spent on a good ak or other proven platform. Maybe as a range gun? Or something to give as a gift to people you would prefer to not be very well armed?

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Nothing against the sks, but it does nothing better than an ak in the smae caliber, and alot of things much worse. Detachable mags are a joke, allo f the tapco parts are just an ergonomic nightmare, and the action is neither built for precision nor ultimate reliability. There is a good reason the russians went with the ak over the sks...

Not knocking any sks owners here, I just do not see the point of the sks, when you can have an ak. Mags are cheaper, and better. The operating system is more robust, and the entire platform has had continual attention for the last 60yrs. Any and all parts and upgrades have much more r&d behind them. Like I said, I see the sks as the wrong answer to an old question...

Granted it will still put holes in stuff, but I see zero reason modding a sks, when the money could be spent on a good ak or other proven platform. Maybe as a range gun? Or something to give as a gift to people you would prefer to not be very well armed?

Not reliable?

I have mind because I got all but one for under $200, and they don't NEED mags

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    My dad and my uncle went in with a bunch of their buddies on a group buy for some chinese SKSms back in the early to mid '90s. They paid $125 for each rifle which included 1500 rnds of chinese x39 ammo in 750 rnd spam cans.

bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge

I agree completely on modifying them with all of the Tapco stuff. If you want an AK just buy a damn AK! But I could see some people liking the traditional Monte Carlo style stock over a pistol grip. I have a Norcino SKS-M which has the "fancy" Monte Carlo stock and takes regular AK mags. I like that combination but I would still take an AK in almost any situation over an SKS.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    Not reliable?

I have mind because I got all but one for under $200, and they don't NEED mags

You are correct, a STOCK sks does not need a mag. However you are limited to 10rds of 7.62x39, and if I am going to shoot that round I will shoot it out of an ak, with a 20-30rd mag.

As far as reliability goes, a sks cannot stand up to the use an ak can, especially a yugo ak (stamped or milled m70) or a milled bulgy/polish/russian ak. Plus the sks is not proven like the ak series are.

I agree completely on modifying them with all of the Tapco stuff. If you want an AK just buy a damn AK! But I could see some people liking the traditional Monte Carlo style stock over a pistol grip. I have a Norcino SKS-M which has the "fancy" Monte Carlo stock and takes regular AK mags. I like that combination but I would still take an AK in almost any situation over an SKS.

A sporter saiga is a much better choice over a sks these days, if you want a "hunting rifle" style gun that shoots x39. Maybe if the sks was in a bigger caliber it would be more appealing, but it is just playing 2nd fiddle to the ak. I had a sks-m, did not really see much benefit save for the mags.

I just do not see the point of a sks... Maybe as a youth introduction pseudo-hunting rifle? SInce ammo is cheap they are good plinkers? Dunno, would rather a real hunting rifle if I was to go hunting, or a real "assault" style gun should I want something like that for SH/HD. Just my 2 cents, YMMV!

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    SKS's, as designed, are formidable rifles. They are no match for the AK in terms of functionality, but they only cost half as much. Even more so back when they could be found around $100, which wasn't long ago. If I only had a couple hundred bucks to spend on a defensive rifle, it would probably be an SKS. They are more than accurate enough, and very reliable if you don't mess with them. Like it for what it is, leave it alone and learn how to use it. If you want a pistol grip or detachable mags, trade it in on an AK. By the time you drop the money to try and make an SKS an AK, you could've just bought an AK in the first place and saved another SKS from a horrific Crapco fate.

jdaige33

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 29, 2011
    Lafayette
    SKS's, as designed, are formidable rifles. They are no match for the AK in terms of functionality, but they only cost half as much. Even more so back when they could be found around $100, which wasn't long ago. If I only had a couple hundred bucks to spend on a defensive rifle, it would probably be an SKS. They are more than accurate enough, and very reliable if you don't mess with them. Like it for what it is, leave it alone and learn how to use it. If you want a pistol grip or detachable mags, trade it in on an AK. By the time you drop the money to try and make an SKS an AK, you could've just bought an AK in the first place and saved another SKS from a horrific Crapco fate.

X5000

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spydy
    Top Bottom