SKS magazine question - Can I switch magazines?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • crewdawg

F-15 Eagle Crew Chief
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    Amite, LA
    I have an SKS with the 10 round magazine that is attached to the rifle. I've seen other SKS's with 30 round detachable magazines and was wondering if it is possible to replace my magazine with a detachable magazine. This is the SKS.

kjtdgxrr79oupdnlnkc.jpg

Last edited:

username123

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    St. Bernard
    yes you can! but stay away from the metal 30rnd mags, they suck!!!! get the Tapco 20 rnd mags! they work way better. and you can look it up on youtube how to replace it, its very easy, just did it 2 weeks ago!:)

crewdawg

F-15 Eagle Crew Chief
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    Amite, LA
    yes you can! but stay away from the metal 30rnd mags, they suck!!!! get the Tapco 20 rnd mags! they work way better. and you can look it up on youtube how to replace it, its very easy, just did it 2 weeks ago!:)

What is wrong with the metal 30 rounders?

gbundersea

Just my 2¢
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jun 4, 2007
    Walker, LA
    It sucks, but keep in mind that merely changing the magazine takes away the rifle's C&R status, and the 922r bullsh!t then applies. Unless you follow the "10 or less" rule, don't get caught with it in its "illegally modified" configuration.

That said, the Tapco 20-round mags are the ONLY way to go!

I bought several Tapco 20-round SKS magazines, along with a Tapco muzzle brake, from MilSurpStuff.com. They have the Tapco mags for $16.49, which is their regular price.

If you are a member of SKSboards.com, you can also email MilSurpStuff to get a 5% discount code!

(BTW, SKSboards.com is an INCREDIBLE source of information on SKSes and other arms as well.)

jetmech1983

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Watson, la
    Or sell it and get a sks-m. They take the ak mags from the factory. Stay away from the cheap 30 rounders that fit the regular sks though. They all suck. Tapco all the way.

electronicwiz

Rating - 100%
    107   0   0
    Jul 20, 2008
    Brusly
    I have a few old 30 round metal mags that work great. I agree that the new metal mags really suck. USA brand are the ones I have from way back. They are getting kinda hard to find now.

Magpie

Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Aug 1, 2007
    Gonzales
    Disclaimer: The following is only my interpretation of what I have gathered and should NOT be taken as fact and I suggest the subject be thoroughly researched before making any changes to an imported firearm.You can do what you want to a weapon made in the U.S.(well almost anything)

To be more specific on 922r (which I believe is...well you know) A firearm that is considered an "assault rifle" imported into this country must have a certain number of U.S. made parts to be legal according to the B.A.T.F. (Bureau Of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms) An "assault rifle" is a firearm that has most or all of the following:
    A Pistol Grip
    A Detachable, High Capacity Magazine
    A Muzzle Attachment (flash hider, compensator, grenade laucher, etc.)
    A Bayonet
    A Folding Stock
    And I think some other things which I can't think of off hand.

The SKS is now considered C&R (Curio and Relic) so the rules for it are slightly different.
    In their original imported state, they are considered legal even though they may have a combination of some of the items described above such as the bayonet and grenade launcher combo on the Yugo SKS. Any modification of an original (such as removing the original 10rd fixed magazine and replacing it with a detachable 20rd or replacing the stock with a pistol grip type) will possibly/probably make the weapon considered illegal by the authorities. If you replace the fixed 10rd "imported" magazine with a U.S. made 20rd U.S. made detachable (counts as 3 parts), you will then be required to replace a number of other "imported" parts with U.S. made parts in or on the weapon to make it 922r "compliant". Parts that are replaceable in or on the SKS with U.S. made components are, in no particular order:
    bolt
    firing pin
    gas tube
    stock (some U.S. replacements count as 3 parts)
    gas piston
    a U.S. made bayonet (I think would count)
    muzzle attachment (compensator, etc.)
    magazine (most count as 3 parts, body, floorplate and follower)

So, if you replace the original fixed 10rd magazine with a U.S. made detachable 20rd, you would then be wise to replace everything you can on the rifle with U.S. made parts even though there is a certain number that actually would meet the requirement. Be sure any part you replace has clearly marked or stamped on it it's U.S. origin.

I hope this is useful, today is my 48th birthday and I just felt like doing something constructive or helpful as a token. Please feel free to comment/correct anything that I have possibly mis-interpreted and stated. Moderators please feel free to delete if it in in violation of site policy in any way Thanks and good luck!

Last edited:

Magpie

Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Aug 1, 2007
    Gonzales
    Very well put. As I stated, I have never claimed to be an authority on the subject nor a literary scholar. I don't write that much very often and I'm certain that there are many grammatrical and punctuational errors in the post. Thanks for the input, that is certainly a true statement from my perspective. It is also certainly a confusing as hell subject. Especially to someone who knows nothing or very little about the subject to start with.

Last edited:

Longshot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    The lips on the detachable magazine strike the bottom of the bolt when the rifle is in battery, so you can't remove or attach a magazine unless the action is open. Yeah, you can buy a bolt that has the bottom guide ground off, or you can modify your own bolt (if you don't care about collector's value.) Just keep track of the parts count if you decide to start making permanent changes.

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=23876.0

Top Bottom