Small Dog Breeds

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 5star

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    West baton rouge
    AlaskanKleeKaiKaia1.JPGMy wife wants a klee kli. Mini Siberian husky.

thomjb

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Southern IN
    Not small, but rather midsize, Brittany Spaniels were hard to beat. Yep had hair, but what great family members. Had them for 20 plus years when the kids were growing up. Got a rescue German Short Hair that was a doll also.

sgt z

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Hammond, LA
    Check out Beagles or beagle-mix. disposition, training, maintenance, one of the better options in small dog. often overlooked

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I have a Miniature Schnauzer and my parents have both a Havanese and a Maltese.

The Schnauzer is low maintenance. I don't keep her cut like a schnauzer, and she maybe gets groomed once every 2-3 months. She's 1.5 years old and behaves amazingly. Doesn't bark a lot when she's just with me, chases squirrels and birds, and is a great walking/running dog (my mom enjoys walking her because they can go 4-5 miles). She weighs 13 lbs.

Maltese is high maintenance. She has to be brushed out every other day and groomed at least once a month. Weighs about 7 lbs. She's incredibly yappy. Will bark at a leaf blowing around in the wind.

Havanese is also high maintenance. She has to be brushed out every other day as well, groomed at least once a month. Weighs between 9-10 lbs. Semi yappy. Only barks at people for attention, deliveries, and when we open the door.

I'm getting the schnauzer certified as a therapy dog because she loves children and is incredibly calm despite what people usually say about schnauzers. I know a lot of them can be high strung, but Ms. Oakley is incredibly mellow.

A lot of people will advocate getting a rescue, and rescues are a great way to go. But I personally have allergies and needed a hypoallergenic dog. All of these breeds are hypoallergenic and don't shed.

Clockwise from left: Havanese, Maltese, Mini Schnauzer.

8402D6F2-4448-40A6-8A5A-70C68CF02BDA_zpsl7hanqet.jpg

Just saw your experience with the Schnauzer. I hope you know there aren't bad breeds, only bad owners. Raised properly the Schnauzer shouldn't have reacted that way without being antagonized or something (not blaming you I swear).

I grew up with a Standard Schnauzer. She lived to be 15 years and grew up alongside my younger brother (we got her when she was 2 months and he was 10 months). Never bit anyone with the exception of being shuffled around after Hurricane Katrina and being in strange places and only then was it one time. Other than that, she was an amazing dog until the day we had to put her down.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gordoloco
    Top Bottom