small engine problems

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kook

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    New Iberia
    I have a generator with a 9 HP Honda engine. Had a batch of OLD gas run through it. It would run fine for while, then sputter and backfire. I brought to a local mechanic/shyster who said it needed a new carb. OK Fire it up, runs fine for 5 minutes, then starts to backfire again. I fooled around with the fuel line to the carb to make sure fuel flow wasn't impeded. Seemed to run OK. Then all of a sudden, it starts to backfire again. Noticed the tank was running low:rolleyes:

So, if the fuel was sloshing around in the tank, and carb sucked air, would this be the problem? Or is there something else I'm missing? Engine ran like a top until the bad gas issue. Bringing it back to a mechanic is a last resort, as the generator is at a camp, and finding a friend to help load in the boat is hard to do.
    Any suggestions?

jrfount

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Livingston, La
    Check the fuel cutoff valve that is attached to the underside of the tank. The Honda design is pretty notorious for clogging when old fuel is left in the tank. You can often blow air back up through it to temporarily clean it but once it cloggs again you'll start getting a lean condition and a backfire. Also if they changed/rebuilt the carb but there isn't an inline fuel filter you may have a clogged port in the carb again. Remember a speck smaller than a grain of sand can really play hell on a carb, particularly Honda's. Their intricate carbs give them great fuel efficiency and easy starting but they also suffer more from bad fuel and trash than a simpler carb.

On another note I've only ever had to replace one carb in all my years of working on engines and that was on a Tecumseh because it was designed to be a throw away. IMHO they shouldn't have had to replace the carb on a honda, a rebuild would have been cheaper and likely just as effective. But I didn't see it so I can't be sure.

Last edited:

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    Run some good gas through it first man.

Did he "fix" it? Could be a couple things. One is sucking air. Or draining the bowl of carb and can't refill. That could be either plugged fuel filter, restricted fuel line or sticking needle/seat.

FYI, bad gas won't ruin a carb. Maybe make it need a rebuild but not ruin. Chances are if the bad gas didn't sit in it, was just ran through it, running good gas through it will clean it up.

Kook

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    New Iberia
    It has GOOD gas in it now.
    Pulled the lines and has good fuel flow.
    I cleaned the original carb 3 times before bringing it in. I was so frustrated I agreed to the new carb.

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    Check your valve lash. If the valves are tight, they will only get tighter as the engine heats up, and the engine will sound like crap and then die.

That *MIGHT* be the problem, and isn't crazy hard to fix.

-Dave

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    Put a couple of ounces of fuel injector cleaner in the gas , and a fresh spark plug . See if that helps . It's worked for me before .

bearfutedninja

coming soon
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    lafayette
    how is the plug is it properly gaped? was the tank, petcock, and fuel filter cleaned before installing the new carb? its like shitting your pants and putting on a new set of underwear without washing your ass. at the time it sounds like a good idea but next time you take them off there is going to be crap in them

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dpoirier63
    Top Bottom