Small Revolver Suggestions for CCW

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Robhic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Destrehan, LA
    Last week a friend that took the class with me used his smallish, old Taurus 5-shot revolver for the course. He favors revolvers (I am not completely sure why...) and anticipated using his Taurus as his CCW. He called me last night asking for a recommendation for a gun he might use for a CCW. I think he wants an excuse to buy a new gun, anyway. :)

I told him I had no idea what to recommend in a revolver. But I told him I'd check here and ask people who know some **** to give me some suggestions. He kinda liked my Glock G26 so a semi-auto recommendation might be acceptable if there's one you think would be a good choice.

Thanks for any suggestions you can come up with for a revolver (or other) that can be a good CCW.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Colt Agent or Cobra. My Cobra is 18.1 ounces loaded with six rounds of 38 special. The agent has a slightly shorter stock (Colt never called stocks grips.) Of course they have not been made for 12 years maybe? So he'd have to search and then find one in good shape.

Dave

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    I love me some 5 shot snubs. They fit in your pocket so well. They pack alot of punch for the package.

Smith and Wesson and Ruger has what your buddy wants. I have a couple of Taurus snubs, they work fine for me (I've shot mine a bit).

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell
    I love me some 5 shot snubs. They fit in your pocket so well. They pack alot of punch for the package.

Smith and Wesson and Ruger has what your buddy wants. I have a couple of Taurus snubs, they work fine for me (I've shot mine a bit).

Hard to go wrong with a S&W Airweight.
    Taurus and Ruger would do quite well also.

Robhic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Destrehan, LA
    Interesting. S&W and Ruger. Sounds like good choices as far as quality. He's not opposed to pawn shops so a Colt Agent or Cobra might not be outta the question -- IF he wants to wait. He mentioned he thought the Taurus (and / or others in the Taurus line) would suffice but seems to have changed his mind about his gun and the brand in general.

I'll mention these above and thanks for the input. I'm sure some $$$ must be burning a hole in his pocket! :D

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    Maybe I'm biased but.....can't go wrong with a S&W J frame. If he can handle .357mag...well,by all means! If not,a .38+P will more than efficiently do the job. Practice,practice,practice. If he can practice assesing,drawing,presenting,shooting and assesing again from a concealed draw,that would benefit him more than just dumping a bunch of lead downrange.

I carry a J frame more than 90% of the time. Either my airweght 438 or my standard weight 640.

Last edited:

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    Sir Isaac Newton has a really nice Smith for sale, with loaders, holsters, grip mods, etc. Check the "firearms classifieds".

Robhic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Destrehan, LA
    Again, thanks to all! I am writing down these choices and will give it to him. He's a big country boy and been around guns all his life. He has full-sized .357 and .380 so those calibers would be fine for him. I'm gonna give this to him so he can start looking. Of course, if he's smart, he would look closely at the Glock G26!!!! :D:D:D

Robhic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Destrehan, LA
    Sweet J frame Smith & Wesson for sale on the forum and it is a no lock model.

Noted and will give him the information. I spoke with him last night and he seems to want a new gun. A used, maybe, but he seems set on getting something NIB. Thanks for the heads up.

Top Bottom