Smell-Tech Pee .32

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bonephish

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    Rant: I bought a used Gen 1 Kel-Tech P32 which looks to be in VG-Excellent condition. So I gleefully trot on down to the indoor range and, to my extreme displeasure the little pistol has a FTE problem. So I removed the extractor and spotlessly cleaned it and the springs. Same issue. :mad:

So I call Kel-Tech and try to buy a new extractor, couldn't find the parts on their website. The tech support guy sends me the parts N/C. Happiness. :)

Then I install the new extractor, spring, roll pin, and off to the range. Now it has a FTF issue, won't go into battery unless you smack the slide. WTF? :mad::mad:

i call Kel-Tech and they suggest sending them the gun for a 6-7 week turnaround. Kurt, the gunsmith at the range, looks at it and recommends "polishing the feed ramp and the top of the chamber." Off to Ace Hardware to buy a Dremel polishing doohickey that looks like a bullet (who knew?)

More advice from Kurt and I get some white rouge and polish, polish, polish... Test...same issue. Call Kurt again and he tells me to keep polishing and check for any rough places with a dimple pick (what's a dimple pick?) :confused:

Polish, check, polish, check, test...better but not perfectly reliable. Now that I'm seeing some progress, I'm intense in my polishing, check, polish, check...

Test, bingo! It works perfectly. Test several more times and no issues. Now i'm impressed with my new found gunsmithing "skills." :)

APPLAUSE? :D

BTW, I most like the little gun because it weighs 10 ounces loaded with 8 rounds of .32 cal. 71 gr. FMJ.

wcweir3

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Gonzales, LA
    I have this same pistol that is a backup for my wife and we have run a lot rounds through it never a problem with, not our first goto but it is small and and will sting you LOL

Bonephish

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    I don't know if I would feel comfortable letting my wife carry it after all the malfunctions. I find flitz works very good for polishing. Good job!

Thanks, machinedrummer. I'll carry the .32 in my pocket. My wife chooses to carry her grandfather's 90-year-old French Pyrenees Unique Model 10, 8 rounds .25 cal. I shot 25 rounds through it today. Runs like a Rolex watch.
    12556277_2_l.jpg

nwmousegunner

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Homer,La.
    I think what Kurt said was dental pick. When pulled across the metal surface you would feel any rough spots that you had missed. Go to the Kel-Tek forum and read about the fluff and buff that is recommended for new pistols, sounds like the previous owner didn't do it. I bought a P11 and a P38T five or six years ago both were used. I had never heard much about Kel-Tek at that time so I searched the internet found that all of them would benefit from polishing the feed ramp and frame and slide rails. Mine have never failed to function since. I still have the 380 and carry it when I am concerned about printing.

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    I have two Kel-Tecs, P3AT and PF9, neither of which have ever given me problems. I know two co-workers who had problems with Kel-Tecs and got excellent customer service to repair/replace their weapons. Kel-Tec is apparently the Nickelback of the firearms industry, either people have them and don't get worked up or they have unending hatred for them down to the marrow of their bones.

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    The fact that two people you personally know had problems is enough to scare me away.....forever.

Well, give up on Glock then as well. I have one currently locked up with a live round in the chamber due to an as yet uncertain problem with the rod/spring, and I know of someone who actually managed to seize one up just putting it back together, Glock was so impressed that they replaced it just to analyze the one he got stuck. There you go, two problems, guess it's HK from now on.

Bonephish

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    The solution was simple from the start:
    1. Throw Kel-Tec in the trash.
    2. Buy a Glock 42.

Might buy a Glock 42 (but Glock are fugly.)

I have a small collection of subcompact pistols. The P32 is significant to me as it's a Version 1 and the lightest S/A pistol made at 6.6 oz empty and 10 oz loaded with 8 rounds. And after my gunsmithing it runs just fine.

I also have a Ruger LCP .380 with CT laser and a Sig Sauer P232 .380. My small 9mm's are a Sig P938 and a Walther PPS M2.

Other considerations to add one day in the future: Walther PPK .380, Sig P238 .380, Seecamp LWS 32, Kahr .380, Beretta Bobcat .22 or.25, Beretta Tomcat .32.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    This is just my opinion on small carry guns. I think it's like trying to find a motorcycle helmet that is barely just enough to prevent your brains from being moped up if you are in an accident. With modern IWB holsters it's possible to carry mid-full size pistols that have a great trac record as far as function, capacity, and ballistics. Mini-me pistols just seem to have issues that I don't want to chance it happening when I most need it. Just my opinion. I feel bigger is better. With guns...

Bonephish

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    This is just my opinion on small carry guns. I think it's like trying to find a motorcycle helmet that is barely just enough to prevent your brains from being moped up if you are in an accident. With modern IWB holsters it's possible to carry mid-full size pistols that have a great trac record as far as function, capacity, and ballistics. Mini-me pistols just seem to have issues that I don't want to chance it happening when I most need it. Just my opinion. I feel bigger is better. With guns...

My time in the Army during the 1960's developed my marksmanship skills under stress. A .22 will do the job if you can use a handgun with any degree of proficiency. The way I look at it, if you're carrying around an extra 3 pounds of steel in your pants every day and half the night, better keep your chiropractor on speed dial. A 10-ounce pistol in the pocket of your cargo shorts when it's 100 degrees, is a lot better on many levels..

BigNick73

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 21, 2008
    Brandon, MS
    Since it's a gen 1 I'd recommend replacing the recoil spring. gunsprings.com has them, I'd go with the factory 9lb. I've got a gen 1 .380 I bought new back when they first came out. It's well broken in and the only time I had any issues was when the recoil spring got weak which gave me the same FTF issues you're having. I'd suspect the polish job will only be a temporary fix otherwise.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    I thank you for your service. Like I said just my opinion and what I choose to carry. You are correct under stress shot placement can be tough. That's why I prefer bigger holes on target. I also have a few carry pistols that weigh less than 3 pounds. Lol I'm not what I once was but even an extra 3 pounds shouldn't send me to the doc. Lol
    My time in the Army during the 1960's developed my marksmanship skills under stress. A .22 will do the job if you can use a handgun with any degree of proficiency. The way I look at it, if you're carrying around an extra 3 pounds of steel in your pants every day and half the night, better keep your chiropractor on speed dial. A 10-ounce pistol in the pocket of your cargo shorts when it's 100 degrees, is a lot better on many levels..

Brawny

lol
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 3, 2015
    Anderson, SC
    One advantage these wee pistols have is that they are so easy to carry therefore people actually tend to use them. Sort of like the Uncle Henry pen knife. Is it as useful as a kabar to spear pigs? No, but it feels right at home in your front pocket.

Bonephish

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    The recoil spring is working better now that I replaced the plastic guide rod with a black stainless one. I have a complete selection of recoil and firing pin springs from Wolff for my LCP which will work if I decide to replace the spring in the P32. I read Fluff & Buff on one of the KT forums and many the older KT's needed polishing of the feed ramp, chamber and the face of the breech. Evidently, tolerances on the Gen-1 pistols was inconsistent.

I ran another 50 rounds through it today and had 4 misfeeds in the first 25 and none in the last 25. I bought another 100 rounds of different brands and will test again over the weekend. If it misfeeds at all this weekend, I plan on polishing the face of the breech a bit more.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Demmickb
    Top Bottom