Smith .460

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ironman26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Patterson, La
    my question to anyone that owns one...Are you having any issues with misfires caused by the firing pin??? I bought my gun about 1.5 years ago and have been having trouble with misfires caused by what I think to be the firing pin !!! When I have a misfire I remove all fired rounds and shoot a little bit of breakfree in the firing pin and work the action cocking and decocking...put the misfires back in and they fire no problem on the second go around...Seems that the firing pin is not extending far enough out to strike the primer...any suggestions are welcomed...I know...I need to take it to a gunsmith !!!

HitNmiss

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2012
    norco,la
    Are you u using the same brand ammo u used 1.5 years ago?or have u recently switched?when it fails to fire I assume it has a ligh primer strike on the non firing case.

Reason I ask that is because I have a mini 30,not a smith n wesson.But saw u had 55 views and no response so figured I'd give u a little info.

But on my mi I with good ammo she functions fine,moment I put crap or mil surplus ammo in it it has the same problem u have.itll fire fine and everyone in awhile I get a non fire with a soft primer strike when I know it's just hard primers.

That's the reason I ask about ammo.no need to take it to a smith and spend money when that mite of been your problem.but if that's not it,sorry I tried to help

Ironman26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Patterson, La
    Are you u using the same brand ammo u used 1.5 years ago?or have u recently switched?when it fails to fire I assume it has a ligh primer strike on the non firing case.

Reason I ask that is because I have a mini 30,not a smith n wesson.But saw u had 55 views and no response so figured I'd give u a little info.

But on my mi I with good ammo she functions fine,moment I put crap or mil surplus ammo in it it has the same problem u have.itll fire fine and everyone in awhile I get a non fire with a soft primer strike when I know it's just hard primers.

That's the reason I ask about ammo.no need to take it to a smith and spend money when that mite of been your problem.but if that's not it,sorry I tried to help
    Thanks HitNmiss for the reply...I'm using the same ammo I used when I first bought it...no reason to change unless I ever get my reloading set up going....had to put that on hold...! as a matter of fact I have never used anything but Hornady ammo.....

JimmyB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    Berwick
    I’m not sure what you mean by misfire. Was it a light strike?
    Did you look at the primer on the round that should have gone off?
    Did it have a light dent compared to the rounds that did fire?

I would say your strain screw backed off. A simple retightening will fix the problem

If the firing pin is broke, it should protrude a little from the frame.
    You may have to shake it loose while holding it muzzle down but it should drop down a little
    It’s no big deal to remove the side plate and check the firing pin

First thing I would do is check the strain screw. This is probably the problem
    Next thing would be to remove the side plate and check the firing pin
    If everything checks out, I would order a leaf spring and an new extended firing pin from Brownells

Ironman26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Patterson, La
    I’m not sure what you mean by misfire. Was it a light strike?
    Did you look at the primer on the round that should have gone off?
    Did it have a light dent compared to the rounds that did fire?

I would say your strain screw backed off. A simple retightening will fix the problem

If the firing pin is broke, it should protrude a little from the frame.
    You may have to shake it loose while holding it muzzle down but it should drop down a little
    It’s no big deal to remove the side plate and check the firing pin

First thing I would do is check the strain screw. This is probably the problem
    Next thing would be to remove the side plate and check the firing pin
    If everything checks out, I would order a leaf spring and an new extended firing pin from Brownells
    AS much of an indention that the firing pin made,the round should have gone off,I'm gonna take another look,thanks JimmyB!!!

Last edited:

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    Try the simple solutions like he said with the strain screw.
    S&W has outstanding customer service for repairs. You can contact them and they will send a shipping label. Also make sure the primers are fully seated in the cases unless you are talking about factory ammo but check that also. the firing pin could be pushing the primer deeper in the pocket as it fires or it could be the ammo. Might be some trash in there blocking the full force of the hammer blow. It seems that these issues probably are not the cause since you are getting deep firing pin indentations on the first go around.
    You may have to part with her awhile and let S&W make it right for free.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeyy504
    Top Bottom