Smith & Wesson 500 Front Sights

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FORman

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    Lafayette LA
    I just bought a used S&W model 500 with an 8 3/8" barrel. It came with two different hight front sights, which I figgured would be course adjustments for different distances. After some internet research I see many are using them for the 200+ grain difference in bullet weights.

Ammo supply may be what I can find, instead of what I want. Considering cost and availability testing different loads will be difficult. I have plenty of cheaper to operate, and easier on the body paper killers, it will mostly be used for shooting water filled jugs etc. I'm waiting till this week-end to shoot it.

Anyone with experience?

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    I got one earlier this year from a member here.
    The only ammo I've been able to find is 300gr Hornady at $55 per 20.
    Really enjoying this beast.

FORman

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    Lafayette LA
    I got one earlier this year from a member here.
    The only ammo I've been able to find is 300gr Hornady at $55 per 20.
    Really enjoying this beast.

I'm with you on the beast part. Really enjoying may be an understatement. I've never shut down a range before when everyone put their guns down to watch me. One spectator got hit in the belly with a dirt clump from the berm, twenty yards away, that left a mark on his shirt before falling to his feet. Many laughs were had by all.

I changed it out to the taller front sight for 15 yards. With 300gr Hornadys (local $69/20) I didn't have to make a rear sight adjustment. Recoil was more managable than expected, no doubt do to the buffer zone in the grip. I liked shooting it so much I did not want to put it down.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    I picked mine up very lightly used from Daves in Lafayette. It only came with one painted ramp front sight installed. I wonder if mine was supposed to come with another? I haven't shot it much. I'd like to start reloading for it. Mine is the Performance Center 7.5". From what I've heard there were only a limited number made in 2004. Also the rifling in the barrel does no look like traditional rifling. I've heard that some of the 500's had Lothar Walther barrels too.

1242_10151148883126891_76003343_n.jpg

429041_10151159933086891_632181175_n.jpg

FORman

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    Lafayette LA
    Very nice, rcm192! Mine is not a perfomance center gun, it came from Daves also. The owners manual leads me to believe none of the 500s have traditonal rifleing and will lead foul quickly if your not using jacketed bullets.

That would be a blast (pun intended), 3fifty7, which brings up the question, is it still plinking when shooting a S&W 500 magnum. Sherburne isn't far from halfway.

Last edited:

FORman

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    Lafayette LA
    I picked mine up very lightly used from Daves in Lafayette. It only came with one painted ramp front sight installed. I wonder if mine was supposed to come with another? I haven't shot it much. I'd like to start reloading for it. Mine is the Performance Center 7.5". From what I've heard there were only a limited number made in 2004. Also the rifling in the barrel does no look like traditional rifling. I've heard that some of the 500's had Lothar Walther barrels too.

Your front sight is dovetailed and wasn't designed for a quick change. With interchangable front sights the sight is retained by a spring and a pin. While pushing aft on the front sight, the fwd end will pull up to clear the barrel and the sight will pull out at a 45 degree angle.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Last time I stopped at Dave's all they had used was a 6" model, which is ideally what I wanted only with a full lug, but of course S&W and myself have differing opinions.

FORman

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    Lafayette LA
    Last time I stopped at Dave's all they had used was a 6" model, which is ideally what I wanted only with a full lug, but of course S&W and myself have differing opinions.

I agree 100%. I think S&W did it backwards, the 8+ inch barrel would point much better if the lug would have stopped after the xtraction rod, and the 6+ inch model would have looked so much better with the full length lug and would have handled well without being overly nose heavy. Actually I handled the 6 and the 8 at Daves and decieded that if I was going to buy a big stupid handgun I might as well go all the way. When asked about the 8.38" barrel I'll say "Think the opposite of balanced." After shooting it, I've changed my mind about it being stupid. Sometimes you gotta pay to play.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gordoloco
    Top Bottom