So I bought a .35 Whelen...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    Hey guys, I got my first mid bore rifle today, a H&R Handi rifle in .35 Whelen. I plan on using it for deer and pigs, and I'm honestly a bit lost about what kind of optic I should be looking for.
    I know the rifle's cheap, but I want good quality glass that'll stand up to the recoil.
    I'm thinking an illuminated recticle with decent light gathering, and I'm assuming my max range is going to be about 200 (oh, and I'd really like to keep it under $400)
    Can anyone point me in the right direction?
    Also: Oh My God the ammo's expensive. Not going to be a range toy lol.

old jim

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I've been shooting one ever since Mississippi made them legal several years ago. I put on a Bushnell but with it's big ocular end I had to go with high rings to clear the hammer. Mine shoots the Federals best and doesn't like the Hornady super performance.

cnodie1

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    New Orleans
    We used to put Shooter's edge scopes on the new "primitive" rifles we sold. They were cheap China scopes but held zero phenomenally. Only time they ever failed is when people put them in vises to sight them in while shooting 45-70s and at 80$ it was a sweet deal. I have a few :D

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    thanks for the reply's guys. I hadn't really expected to spend less than 250 though.
    I heard that some of the Handi Rifles didn't like the hornady ammo, weird.

cnodie1

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    New Orleans
    We had a few that had a problem ejecting the ammo including mine. HR fixed them no questions asked. But it wasn't specific to hornady ammo so idk.

gmshooter

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    328   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Gramercy La.
    Nikon prostaff 3-9x50 is all you need $205.00. I have some in stock if you are interested. This is what i mount on 90% of the primitive weapons that i sell.

cnodie1

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    New Orleans
    Just make sure you get the high mounts to fit that 50 and to allow you to reach the hammer. I would get a hammer spur to make pulling back the hammer easier though.

JLouv

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Youngsville
    Mueller makes a nice optic. 2x7 with an illuminated diamond reticule. I have one on my cva 45/70 and also on my cz527 in 762x39.

It's a real nice close range brush gun scope

<<There is a better than average chance this post contains sarcasm>>

Maelek1970

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2012
    new orleans
    general rule of thumb....your scope should cost as much or more than your rifle. You get what you pay for. I havent had to touch my Leupold year to year since i sighted it in 7 years ago. I dont miss the headaches that i used to have every year before hunting season. Leupold is a solid scope maker with a lifetime warranty. Bonus is that they are made in the US.

Top Bottom