So. I'm an awful shot.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Let me know when you have some time to shoot and we will work on improving your shooting.

oscar615

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    SE LA
    So I am kind of in the same boat. INot near as accurate as I would like to be. Went shooting on Sunday at Honey Island range. I had not been pistol shooting for almost a year. Used the steels. Got about 60% with my xd.45 and 0% with my new LC9. I literally do not think I hit one with the LC9. It was quite frustrating. What kind of training are you all talking about? A basic pistol course or some kind of tactical pistol training? What would the class be called.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    The steel plates at precision are notoriously difficult to knock down. If you were shooting 9mm you have to hit them at the very top or they don't fall. I wouldn't worry about it. Get on some paper. Steel plates are not really for training.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Google: "Improving Accuracy Overnight"

This is a very useful guide to get you on course with proper technique. I know there are vids too.

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    So I am kind of in the same boat. INot near as accurate as I would like to be. Went shooting on Sunday at Honey Island range. I had not been pistol shooting for almost a year. Used the steels. Got about 60% with my xd.45 and 0% with my new LC9. I literally do not think I hit one with the LC9. It was quite frustrating. What kind of training are you all talking about? A basic pistol course or some kind of tactical pistol training? What would the class be called.

Everybody's different, but what I've seen from most guys at the range is To Fix Accuracy, just to shoot straighter, nothing else, all they need is some formal education in marksmanship. A basic pistol class fills up time with a lot of stuff range vagrants already know, and a "tactical" type course is really hard to get the most out of if your basic fundamentals are all screwy.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    A Basic Pistol Course can be a Tactical Course. Any good course should build skills via progression. If your interest is in gaining proficiency in handgun combatives and tactical course is a good starting point. Combative skills and marksmanship are not mutually exclusive.

George

Don't tase me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Denham springs
    Dry fire, dry fire, dry fire! Doing this you will see what your front sight is doing. My guess would be squeezing too tightly with your off hand and even anticipating the recoil so you are actually pushing the gun forward.

But like most have said, proper coaching on fundamental techniques first.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Don't just dry fire at home. Dry fire at the range. Shoot a few strings live fire then empty your gun and dry fire. I bet you a beer you flinch. I shoot with people at the range all the time who swear they are not anticipating the recoil but as soon as I make them shoot dry it's obvious from the first shot what the problem is.

George

Don't tase me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Denham springs
    Don't just dry fire at home. Dry fire at the range. Shoot a few strings live fire then empty your gun and dry fire. I bet you a beer you flinch. I shoot with people at the range all the time who swear they are not anticipating the recoil but as soon as I make them shoot dry it's obvious from the first shot what the problem is.

Why not dry fire at home?

SimpleGreen

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    Livingston, LA

Actually, you made a point.

I was running Winchester white box ammo. Not great stuff, but it's affordable.

Anyways, I was halfway through a magazine when I hit a dud round. I distinctly remember flinching to some degree when I noticed the gun didn't fire! Dropped the mag, racked the slide. Fully impacted primer. No fire.

I have wanted to get some dummy rounds and let someone load them at random in my mag but I haven't found any reasonably priced locally.

SimpleGreen

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    Livingston, LA
    Why not dry fire at home?

I think he mentioned why before but I forget. I do however dry fire my pistol at home at times. When I do I take all the ammo and magazines and put them in my ammo can in another place. Can't inadvertently load the gun then.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Putting a dummy round in helped me a ton, but I am out of practice. I haven't been shooting as much as I should have and I was dry firing Sunday (how can you not dry fire watching walking dead reruns) and noticed I was pulling to the left a little at first.

cajun_64

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 22, 2012
    Abbeville

Shoot that LC9 at paper. Are you a righty or a lefty? I bet you a beer you are hitting low left if you are a righty and vice versa if you are a lefty

oscar615

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    SE LA
    I am much better with my xd. But I want to carry lc9. The xd is too heavy. How do I correct the problem?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

cajun_64

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 22, 2012
    Abbeville
    I am much better with my xd. But I want to carry lc9. The xd is too heavy. How do I correct the problem?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

For me it was the loooooooong trigger pull that made my trigger finger feel like it was back in my palm. I went back to glocks and and the problem went away. Try the xd-s or the s&w shield.

Btw, that is the same reason i bought one

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jamesernestomurray
    Top Bottom