So So Experience at Jefferson Gun Outlet

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nomadicdread

Apr 1, 2010
    Seattle
    Myself and my lady went to Jefferson Gun Outlet today, looking for a .357 revolver and giving another look at the FNP-45.

When asked what we were looking for, I told them a .357 revolver for her to carry and that she wants one in a 4". One guy pulls out an Airweight S&W and says, "This is a concealed carry revolver. You don't want to carry anything larger. Also, in .357 it's to much to handle in a small frame." That's about that point where is was ready to leave and I'm thinking, "You're a prick."

If my woman wants to carry a .357 4" revolver, then she will and shoot it well with practice.

Also, the same guy makes another reference to concealed carry guns are small frame and pulls out another one or two. At that time we informed him that I carry a Kimber Pro Carry II, everyday, everywhere. That's when he finally stopped talking about small frame weapons are concealed carry weapons.

Now, there was another guy behind the counter that didn't keep making idiotic statements about concealed carry weapons are small frame. He was cool.

madmax4x4

HONKY
    May 31, 2009
    New Orleans
    I don't see anything wrong with him saying a smaller 357 would be a better ccw for the lady. Or maybe he didn't know you are a know it all. :p

spanky

Gold Member
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    I don't see anything wrong with him saying a smaller 357 would be a better ccw for the lady. Or maybe he didn't know you are a know it all. :p

Nothing chaps my ass more than trying to buy something and being told that I want something else.

Obviously the OP feels the same way. :p

madmax4x4

HONKY
    May 31, 2009
    New Orleans
    He didn't say no you want a glock. :) I don't see anything wrong with someone working in a gun shop to recommend one ccw over another. If you have people coming in all day that want to carry .500 s&w, you shouldn't take it the wrong way when you are shown a gun that is a bit more popular ccw that's all.

sraiford

Pro Castle Law
    Jun 1, 2009
    Baton Rouge and Mobile
    Here's my 2 cents... The person behind the counter needs to be a salesman with the knowledge of what he/she is selling. The salesperson needs to ask what your looking for and maybe even ask for what reason. You don't go to a car lot and the guy immediately try to put you in the 15 passenger van, he/she asks what are you looking for and then shows you what they have that matches what you want.

My co-workers know I like guns, so if they are thinking about a gun they come talk to me. They say things like "I'm looking to get a pistol what should I get". With that I always ask this "what is it for", "will you carry it or just keep it in the house", "will you use it to hunt with", "will your wife use it"..... and so on. I think everyone here would agree that theses are legitimate questions, that will help guide what type of gun would be best. I the guy says "just something to take the wife and kids out to plink with", then I'm not recommending the Desert Eagle in 44 mag.

Hitman

® ™
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Experts in their own minds are everywhere.

In Academy I heard a guy behind the counter telling a customer that Full Auto's were illegal in this state.

At Star Gun & Archery in Leesville, I heard another guy behind the counter telling a customer that they couldn't sell Real Silencers on their GSG5's b/c Silencers were made illegal in the early 1900's. He said this with full confidence too. I couldn't help myself but ask, :Who told you that", he promptly replied with Sgt. D-something from the Leesville, PD. I shook my head and walked out.

The ignorance carries on everywhere;

I went to buy some formula for my 18 month old daughter b/c she was sick and not holding anything down. We did this under Dr. recommendation.

We'll the lady at the counter asked how old the baby was.

I said "18 months"

she pops her head back and says "AND she STILL on Formula!?"
    (rather loudly I might add.) while rolling her eyes.

I said uh No, she's throwing up and not holding down real food so the Doc said to try some special formula.

She says, "Why Would you do that, don't you know this stuff will upset her stomach MORE than it already is!?" with the same snappy attitude.

I said, "Don't you know that you're NOT a Doctor, you’re a Wal-Mart cashier, and your only job is to pass whatever products are brought to you over the scanner and tell me the price so I can pay for it! Why don't you try doing your job! (Rather loudly back I might add)

I HATE to be rude, but sometimes I just get fed up with people who just can't stfu and do their job. Since when did family counseling fall under Wal-Mart cashier duties?

rooster

Sep 11, 2009
    Lake Charles, LA
    Experts in their own minds are everywhere.

In Academy I heard a guy behind the counter telling a customer that Full Auto's were illegal in this state.

At Star Gun & Archery in Leesville, I heard another guy behind the counter telling a customer that they couldn't sell Real Silencers on their GSG5's b/c Silencers were made illegal in the early 1900's. He said this with full confidence too. I couldn't help myself but ask, :Who told you that", he promptly replied with Sgt. D-something from the Leesville, PD. I shook my head and walked out.

The ignorance carries on everywhere;

I went to buy some formula for my 18 month old daughter b/c she was sick and not holding anything down. We did this under Dr. recommendation.

We'll the lady at the counter asked how old the baby was.

I said "18 months"

she pops her head back and says "AND she STILL on Formula!?"
    (rather loudly I might add.) while rolling her eyes.

I said uh No, she's throwing up and not holding down real food so the Doc said to try some special formula.

She says, "Why Would you do that, don't you know this stuff will upset her stomach MORE than it already is!?" with the same snappy attitude.

I said, "Don't you know that you're NOT a Doctor, you’re a Wal-Mart cashier, and your only job is to pass whatever products are brought to you over the scanner and tell me the price so I can pay for it! Why don't you try doing your job! (Rather loudly back I might add)

I HATE to be rude, but sometimes I just get fed up with people who just can't stfu and do their job. Since when did family counseling fall under Wal-Mart cashier duties?
    Well said my friend.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    May 18, 2009
    I totally agree! This man was waay out of line suggesting a .38 snubbie when you asked to see a 4" .357- the jerk.

He should have suggested a Glock 19.:cool:

richiespng

Jun 13, 2009
    Picayune, MS
    I can certainly understand you being upset. I would never try to push someone into something that they didnt want. That being said, a lot of the people that we speak with in the shop really have no idea what they really want. It's not their fault, this may be their first gun, or maybe they are just getting into CCW. Sounds like this salesman has had his fair share in his shop.

I probably have 4 or 5 people a week come in and say "I want to buy a *insert brand name here*.". Usually I follow with "which model?" and they say "Oh, I dont know. So-and-so said that I needed to buy a _____.". Usually, this is just bad information that their buddy gave them. Sometimes it's spot on. We try to fit the person with a gun that works within its intended purpose. If I have a feeling that someone doesnt really know what they are looking for, I take my time and put as many guns in their hands as they need to feel comfortable with their purchase, going over the pro's and con's of each model and giving my personal opinion (not veiled as fact) when I have hands on experience.

Hope you find that 4" .357 you are looking for. Sounds like your S/O has her priorities in order. :D

Last edited:

mct601

Airborne IV Peddler
    Sep 24, 2008
    Hattiesburg
    Cool story and all, but man you got a badass wife to WANT to carry a .357 lol

and ignorance is everywhere. My friend went to buy an AK at FITS, the person had to get the manager or whoever and ask if its legal to sell an assault rifle to an 18 year old.

sgt z

Premium Member
    Mar 21, 2008
    Hammond, LA
    I think it all depends on what the gun goes with. I think he was just keeping in mind the warmer weather and trying to keep things light. It might be a great idea to consider at least four weapons, one for each season. Hurricane season is right around the corner and the consensus opinion is that magnums aren't going to do a thing for hurricane attire.

GypsyMama

Apr 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    Here's my thing if I go into a store to look at guns, the salesman asks what I'm looking for, and I tell him specifically, then I don't need him to correct me. If I want a Colt Python or Trooper .357 4", then that is what I want. I don't need a lecture on how maybe I should take a look at this 9mm or .38, since I can probably handle that better. I mean, I couldn't have ever shot a real gun, much less a .357, since I have a vagina, right?

I'm at the gun show a few weeks ago, and this guy is telling me how I need to take his conceal carry class, since even if my husband or uncle were in the military they might not be able to properly teach me how to handle a weapon. First, why would it have to be my husband or uncle? Why not my aunt or mother? Second, who are you to assume that I was never in the military? Actually, I (yes the tiny person with breasts) enjoyed serving my country in the U.S. Army very much, thank you.

All I'm saying is, be a little more mindful of the fact that just as many women serve in the military, grow up shooting guns, and hunt as men these days. Don't automatically assume they need you, the gun salesman, to educate them. Ask some more conscientious questions to get a feel of their knowledge before you put your foot in your mouth.

P.S. He actually did pull out a Glock for me to look at.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Here's my thing if I go into a store to look at guns, the salesman asks what I'm looking for, and I tell him specifically, then I don't need him to correct me. If I want a Colt Python or Trooper .357 4", then that is what I want. I don't need a lecture on how maybe I should take a look at this 9mm or .38, since I can probably handle that better. I mean, I couldn't have ever shot a real gun, much less a .357, since I have a vagina, right?

I'm at the gun show a few weeks ago, and this guy is telling me how I need to take his conceal carry class, since even if my husband or uncle were in the military they might not be able to properly teach me how to handle a weapon. First, why would it have to be my husband or uncle? Why not my aunt or mother? Second, who are you to assume that I was never in the military? Actually, I (yes the tiny person with breasts) enjoyed serving my country in the U.S. Army very much, thank you.

All I'm saying is, be a little more mindful of the fact that just as many women serve in the military, grow up shooting guns, and hunt as men these days. Don't automatically assume they need you, the gun salesman, to educate them. Ask some more conscientious questions to get a feel of their knowledge before you put your foot in your mouth.

P.S. He actually did pull out a Glock for me to look at.

Thank you.

richiespng

Jun 13, 2009
    Picayune, MS

I agree 100%. Not everyone can be read by just looking at them. We have a woman that comes into the shop quite a bit and I had a very good conversation with her about ballistics about a month ago. I tell people all the time about how I have taken my daughter (now 15) shooting since she was 11. A fair number of times I get the "Ahhh, how cute. Does she shoot a .22?" line of questioning. I happily follow with "Heck no! She has her own SIG P220 in .45 ACP. She thinks .22 are for wimps!". :rofl:

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
    Top Bottom