So the brake tag guy told my wife her windows are illegal

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    Section D(2). Go to a reputable installer. He will put a sticker behind the tint which states that it is legal. If you have that sticker, they probably won't even get the meter out. The problem comes in when guys try to do it themselves. They read the law and it states that they can have 40%. They put 40% on and it turns out illegal due to the tint built into the glass from the factory.

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    Section D(2). Go to a reputable installer. He will put a sticker behind the tint which states that it is legal. If you have that sticker, they probably won't even get the meter out. The problem comes in when guys try to do it themselves. They read the law and it states that they can have 40%. They put 40% on and it turns out illegal due to the tint built into the glass from the factory.

DING DING DING - we have a winner!

That is apparently exactly what happened here. Dealer sent me to his tint guy and paid for the old stuff to be pulled off. I paid for the legal stuff to be put on. Problem solved, hopefully.

After reading through the law and looking over the car, I have to wonder about the "5-inch" rule for tint on the front window. The law doesn't say how to measure the 5 inches, and since windows all have different angles to them, 5 inches measured directly along the windshield is not the same as 5 inches measured from the roof line straight down, with the windshield being the hypotenuse of a right triangle. The first way can result in useless tint being too narrow to do any good. The second way seems like it would give a better sun-blocking effect, but would result in a strip longer than 5 inches along the windshield.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    DING DING DING - we have a winner!

That is apparently exactly what happened here. Dealer sent me to his tint guy and paid for the old stuff to be pulled off. I paid for the legal stuff to be put on. Problem solved, hopefully.

After reading through the law and looking over the car, I have to wonder about the "5-inch" rule for tint on the front window. The law doesn't say how to measure the 5 inches, and since windows all have different angles to them, 5 inches measured directly along the windshield is not the same as 5 inches measured from the roof line straight down, with the windshield being the hypotenuse of a right triangle. The first way can result in useless tint being too narrow to do any good. The second way seems like it would give a better sun-blocking effect, but would result in a strip longer than 5 inches along the windshield.

Windshields are factory marked "AS1".

Scylas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    Baton Rouge
    Some inspection sticker places are shady if you ask me. Back in the day when I was a teenager I took my car to one of those places and they told me my brake light bulbs were the wrong color and wouldn't pass the inspection until I got some new brake bulbs. They conveniently had a spray paint bottle on hand and said they'd spray the bulbs for $20 to make them pass the inspection. Wasn't worth the hassle of going to AutoZone or even finding another inspection place so I just rolled with it. I'd probably go to a different inspection place if that happened to me today, but I'm about 95% sure the guy was full of it. Moral of the story though is that if they're trying to sell you something you don't think you need, you might be getting hustled.

Not saying this is the case for you, but perhaps you can think back and maybe they offered to take the tint off for some amount of money for you or something.

If you ask me, the inspection business in itself is corrupt, though. I will never again go to another place that only does inspections and nothing else.

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    There is no incentive to pass a vehicle. The station makes the same if they pass or fail a vehicle. If your vehicle fails, they put a rejection sticker on it. After corrective action is made, they will replace the rejection sticker with a good one at no charge.

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    Pretty sure you can't tint below that line.

While that may be the custom of some installers, the law does not mention that (go back a page and see what charlie12 posted)

The applicable wording in C(2) "(2) A transparent material, not red or amber in color, affixed to the topmost portion of the windshield not to extend more than five inches down from the top."

Notice that it doesn't say to measure along the windshield. It says "down." I think one could make a good argument that because "down" means toward the center of the earth, one could construct a right triangle with the 5 inches being drawn down to a point where a right angle turns toward the windshield. The windshield then becomes the hypotenuse of the triangle. If the windshield is VERY sloped and the second side of the triangle is 10 inches, the length along the windshield would be a bit over 11 inches. A modest angle with a bottom length of 7 inches would result in a windshield limit of about 8.6 inches.

I wonder if this has even been argued before.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    While that may be the custom of some installers, the law does not mention that (go back a page and see what charlie12 posted)

The applicable wording in C(2) "(2) A transparent material, not red or amber in color, affixed to the topmost portion of the windshield not to extend more than five inches down from the top."

Notice that it doesn't say to measure along the windshield. It says "down." I think one could make a good argument that because "down" means toward the center of the earth, one could construct a right triangle with the 5 inches being drawn down to a point where a right angle turns toward the windshield. The windshield then becomes the hypotenuse of the triangle. If the windshield is VERY sloped and the second side of the triangle is 10 inches, the length along the windshield would be a bit over 11 inches. A modest angle with a bottom length of 7 inches would result in a windshield limit of about 8.6 inches.

I wonder if this has even been argued before.

It must be painful when you go "down" a slide!

US Infidel

TRUST NO ONE
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Earth
    Think this is too dark? I may need a second layer.
    59993168830c92c15a16190e3ca52537.jpg

Last edited:

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I've seen a few 2 year stickers on vehicles in East Baton Rouge. Some of the people working in the junk yard lots are taking MVI stickers off wrecked ones and selling them. I saw a guy wanting to buy one because his check engine light was on and he couldn't get a sticker. The one he was going to buy came off a Honda car and was a 2 year sticker and he was going to put it on a Chevy truck :doh:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Cognac.cal
    Top Bottom