So, what makes a $3500 revolver better than a glock?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado

In case anyone was contemplating this question, I recently found the answers in Hamilton S. Bowen's book "The Custom Revolver." He goes into a good bit of detail about the work that goes into a custom revolver. Also, what really made those old Smith & Wessons so great (come to think of it, nothing was said about a lock at all). He talks about the various calibers, finishing, modifications, sights, weight.... He talks about why some new production guns can never get refinished as good as the old production models were.

Anyway I thought some of the wheel gun fans and gunsmiths, and those who work on guns might like check out the book.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    So it goes into why they cost more, not why they're better? :D

If someone finds an online PDF of this post it up, I'd like to read a little.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    I think some of us are too blinded by their love for the black tupperware pistol to realize the thread title was a joke and a play of another popular thread about the glock.

trigger643

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Kingwood
    I'm fascinated and in awe of the skills required and the labor intensiveness of producing a truly fine firearm, whether it be shotgun, rifle, revolver or pistol. There is a cost for true craftsmanship and the time invested to assemble a great firearm.

This is a cost many are unable or unwilling to pay and I can appreciate their perspectives, even if they are not my own.

A Glock will never be confused with a work of art, nor will it ever be labeled "Fine" or "Most Excellent" in the truest sense. A Glock will never be associated with the words "craftmanship", "artisanry", "elegant", "jewel" or "treasure".

A Glock to the gun world is what a Toyota Corolla or a Hyundai Elantra is to automobiles. It's practical, reliable, affordable and efficient. If any of you think it is more or less than that I'll refrain from offending you further.

Last edited:

mikepizz

LA CHP INSTRUCTOR # 308
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Maurepas, LA
    The person behind the gun is what makes a $3500 revolver better than a glock?

In case anyone was contemplating this question, I recently found the answers in Hamilton S. Bowen's book "The Custom Revolver." He goes into a good bit of detail about the work that goes into a custom revolver. Also, what really made those old Smith & Wessons so great (come to think of it, nothing was said about a lock at all). He talks about the various calibers, finishing, modifications, sights, weight.... He talks about why some new production guns can never get refinished as good as the old production models were.

Anyway I thought some of the wheel gun fans and gunsmiths, and those who work on guns might like check out the book.

Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T
    Show me the BLING:}

Engraving, Art, Bling a few words that come to mind:}

homfs72gl55uf4jm4dy.jpg

w05qmcxekkxc90tdkksd.jpg

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    A Glock to the gun world is what a Toyota Corolla or a Hyundai Elantra is to automobiles. It's practical, reliable, affordable and efficient. If any of you think it is more or less than that I'll refrain from offending you further.

Very well stated. To me it's all about suitability for an intended purpose. To compare a $3500 custom revolver to a Glock is fools folly. It's like comparing a pack mule to a thoroughbred. Each is well suited to it's own useful purpose.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    I'm fascinated and in awe of the skills required and the labor intensiveness of producing a truly fine firearm, whether it be shotgun, rifle, revolver or pistol. There is a cost for true craftsmanship and the time invested to assemble a great firearm.

This is a cost many are unable or unwilling to pay and I can appreciate their perspectives, even if they are not my own.

A Glock will never be confused with a work of art, nor will it ever be labeled "Fine" or "Most Excellent" in the truest sense. A Glock will never be associated with the words "craftmanship", "artisanry", "elegant", "jewel" or "treasure".

I believe Zev would disagree.

8385401738_d05beefa36_k.jpg

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom