So who loves the Sig P220 as much as I do??

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    I have had a few sigs, never really cared for any of them save for the 220. One way or the other I have ended up with a pair of older west german made 220s. Pretty sure they were both cop guns. Both in good shape, look to be well kept.

Anyways, shot them back to back with my S&W 1911. I have to say I think I am a little quicker with the sigs. Plus I can reach the slide lever with my thumb (I have xl palms with L fingers, so control reach can be an issue).

Not going to sell my selection of 1911s, but I really like the sig 220. I also prefer uncocked and unlocked carry over cocked and locked. Another preference, and i am guessing nobody carries their sig cocked as that seems like a poor idea due to the lack of a manual safety. Trigger pull on both of mine are good, not as nice as the srt setup on the elite 220 I traded a while back (dumb move, I know).

Just wondering what you fine gents (and Chad) thought about the big sig?

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    Shot one through an entire POST academy and carried it for awhile, no issues. However, I never shot a perfect score on the course until I switched to Glock. I'd always drop one or two, typically one of the double action shots and usually left hand only. My wife and I had only been dating a few months at the time and she loved the Sig, so she bought it from me so I could buy a G17.

marmy7451

Bill
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Livingston Parish
    I have 2 P220's one 45 and the other 38 Super, and they are so old they have BROWNING on them as in BDA. They have 48 and 61 thousand rounds respectively. They still shoot as well as ever and I prefer the heel release on the mag to the "American" style. I foolishly let the other 3 of them get away from me but it was a BIG MISTAKE.

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    I carry my glock loaded with no safety. It's matter of preference and what you're confident with. When I started carrying my 1911, I started chambered, but hammer down. Then got a little more confident and moved to cocked and safety on.

Now I prefer locked and loaded with no safety.

Have you tried the P226? That was the first pistol I ever owned and shot. Extremely accurate even when I had even less an idea what I was doing.

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    I carry my glock loaded with no safety. It's matter of preference and what you're confident with. When I started carrying my 1911, I started chambered, but hammer down. Then got a little more confident and moved to cocked and safety on.

Now I prefer locked and loaded with no safety.

Have you tried the P226? That was the first pistol I ever owned and shot. Extremely accurate even when I had even less an idea what I was doing.
    Carried a 70 series 1911 on hot chamber hammer down Sugarbug? I do love the 220. It's the one I kinda miss when I went all 9.

Last edited:

chad

Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Fine gents and chad? I've never owned a 220. I tried for a 228 but it just wasn't meant to be. I've shot and played with a few 220s and they are nice guns.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I've never shot a P220. But I have shot a P6, P228, and a P226. How does it compare with the P226 in size and features? I understand early P220's had the european favored heal mag release.

Dave

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    Did you mean to sound like an ass or am I reading this wrong?
    This carry method had always scared me on series 70 so was thinking maybe you had a fire pin block gun. I've seen other people do it to . I was just asking and certainly didn't mean to sound like a ass though .... Sugarbug :D

bigoo7e

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 6, 2012
    Haughton, La. 71037
    I picked up a Sig P220 Carry Elite SAO with rail and Sig Night Sights... I love this gun! I "was" wanting to buy a 1911 and this gun has swayed me not too. I just need to find some more mag's and holster that work well with it and I will bet set!

Peace,
    Evan

Last edited:

Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T
    Don't know about the P220 however; I picked up a P250 Compact(250C-45-bss) with Night Sights in .45

My FIRST Sig so.......don't know much about them!

So far I like DAT me:}

cb8uv2cjo2q340wqpyca.jpg

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    This carry method had always scared me on series 70 so was thinking maybe you had a fire pin block gun. I've seen other people do it to . I was just asking and certainly didn't mean to sound like a ass though .... Sugarbug :D

Ah. Lol. It was a Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    I've never shot a P220. But I have shot a P6, P228, and a P226. How does it compare with the P226 in size and features? I understand early P220's had the european favored heal mag release.

Dave

It feeels like the p6, just with a longer grip (front to back). The curved backstrap portion of the grip fits my hand well. I prefer arched msh on 1911s so that may be an issue for those that do not. I did not really care for the p6 I had, mainly due to mag capacity (would rather have 8rds of 45 than 9). It is a heavy gun, compared to most 9mm and 40 cal guns, but seems to be a bit lighter to an all steel 1911 (likely owing to the al frame). I also have a s&w 4506 that I really like, but it is alot heavier than the 220 or a 1911.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    It feeels like the p6, just with a longer grip (front to back). The curved backstrap portion of the grip fits my hand well. I prefer arched msh on 1911s so that may be an issue for those that do not. I did not really care for the p6 I had, mainly due to mag capacity (would rather have 8rds of 45 than 9). It is a heavy gun, compared to most 9mm and 40 cal guns, but seems to be a bit lighter to an all steel 1911 (likely owing to the al frame). I also have a s&w 4506 that I really like, but it is alot heavier than the 220 or a 1911.

Thanks!

Steve-0

Rating - 96.9%
    31   1   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Close to New Orleans
    I see this is an older thread but i just now stumbled accross it. I also have an older west german 220 and i am in love with that gun. I like it better than my custom kimber, and im more accurate with it. I was thinking the other day if someone offered me 1500 for it i probably still wouldnt sell it. Im at the point now where i almost dont wanna shoot it so i dont blemish it up and wear the rifling down, but with a gun that fine, how can u not shoot it?

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PatRome
    Top Bottom