SOF Prefers 9mm over .45 Caliber

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    As if we didn't know this by now, but;

I have received a lot of email responses from my July 3 article
    on the Army’s Modular Handgun System praising .45 caliber as far superior to 9mm.
    "Army Wants a Harder Hitting Pistol"

Pistol-caliber choices are personal and everybody has an opinion.
    But opinion isn’t fact, and there is some misinformation out there that needs to be addressed.

Many readers are under the impression
    that U.S. special operations forces have returned to using .45 caliber pistols
    since the adoption of the M9 9mm in 1985.

This has some truth to it,
    but in most cases SOF units use 9mm, experts maintain.

The Army’s Delta Force adopted .40 caliber, but the elite unit is having the same problems as the FBI
    – the heavier caliber is causing excessive wear problems in guns that were originally designed to be 9mm.
    Delta is now using 9mm Glock 17s, 19s and 34s. READ MORE @Kit Up

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    I had been reading a lot about this on the web until a little Vanilla bird gave me the facts and have since ignored all the articles just adding to the confusion.

Keeping my 9mm as EDC projectile. Mind you, I was a sole 45acp guy and I still love it but seeing, doing, and learning on the 9mm has convinced me for now that it’s what I am comfortable with.

I am convinced now that my previous 45acp experience in a real third world situation was a lot of luck! The last few years have been eye opening thanks to a few guys who have put up their time and expertise in real world experiences to teach me and drill knowledge into my hard head.

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    Remember Boys and Girls!! Handguns SUCK!!!! So arguing over calibers is stupid! Get to your long gun and "Problem Solved"! :D

radney

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Mandeviille
    I'm just curious as to why so many have switched to Glocks. I was over from 02-04 and don't remember ever seeing them. Lots of HK and m9s with us units depending (occasional 1911) and a mix of stuff with the Czechs, frogs, etc. Dark siders just carried whatever they wanted.

Longer service life, more reliability?

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    I'm just curious as to why so many have switched to Glocks. I was over from 02-04 and don't remember ever seeing them. Lots of HK and m9s with us units depending (occasional 1911) and a mix of stuff with the Czechs, frogs, etc. Dark siders just carried whatever they wanted.

Longer service life, more reliability?

A decade of lessons learned. Reliability, ammo availability, shootability. Nobody ever like the HK. It was foisted on units. The Glocks in 9mm are probably the perfect Service Pistol.

radney

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Mandeviille
    A decade of lessons learned. Reliability, ammo availability, shootability. Nobody ever like the HK. It was foisted on units. The Glocks in 9mm are probably the perfect Service Pistol.

I don't know about that. I heard multiple guys say how much they liked the USP over there. Plus I thought the ammo problem was just a recent anomaly? Seemed like the only thing that was never in short supply was ammo back then. I'm wondering if there is any data or things just trended that way (I know the Europeans have largely switched).

But i do know the 1911 has been a disaster in the sand - saw that firsthand.

Last edited:

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    Mr. Cool Guy with his POF .308.

"You shut your mouth when you're talking to me!"

attachment.php

:chuckles::naughty:

gandog56

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2013
    Mobile, AL.
    Here's the way I look at it. If you are a lousy shot, get a 9mm with lots of rounds. If you're a good shot, .45 would be better. Just my opinion. Personally I like 10mm or .40 S&W over either of them.

.40 cal S&W
    40SW.jpg

10mm
    dwgroup.jpg

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Here's the way I look at it. If you are a lousy shot, get a 9mm with lots of rounds. If you're a good shot, .45 would be better. Just my opinion. Personally I like 10mm or .40 S&W over either of them.

.40 cal S&W
    40SW.jpg

10mm
    dwgroup.jpg

Were those groups shot at 25 yards?

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    I don't know about that. I heard multiple guys say how much they liked the USP over there. Plus I thought the ammo problem was just a recent anomaly? Seemed like the only thing that was never in short supply was ammo back then. I'm wondering if there is any data or things just trended that way (I know the Europeans have largely switched).

But i do know the 1911 has been a disaster in the sand - saw that firsthand.

No military unit assigned to SOCOM ever had USPs. They were the Mk23 crew served pistols, and a small number if USP Compacts. Even in Peace Time .45 isn't easy to get. I was in a couple units that carried UMP45s on the MTOE just to justify the requirement for .45 ammo on the STRAC Table. In large areas of Afghanistan you are dependent on NATO Logistics for food, ammo, fuel, and fluids. None of the NATO Partners use .45 so they don't stock it. That's trouble.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008

.40 cal S&W
    40SW.jpg

10mm
    dwgroup.jpg

That's nice shooting but it's in no way representative
    Of non consensual gun play.

radney

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Mandeviille
    No military unit assigned to SOCOM ever had USPs. They were the Mk23 crew served pistols, and a small number if USP Compacts. Even in Peace Time .45 isn't easy to get. I was in a couple units that carried UMP45s on the MTOE just to justify the requirement for .45 ammo on the STRAC Table. In large areas of Afghanistan you are dependent on NATO Logistics for food, ammo, fuel, and fluids. None of the NATO Partners use .45 so they don't stock it. That's trouble.

Isn't the usp just a copy of the mk23? Thought it was the name they gave the civilian version. Semantics aside I thought it was the same other than a little size

Last edited:

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington

.40 cal S&W
    40SW.jpg

10mm
    dwgroup.jpg

Why would the marginal increase in lethality trump the increase in capacity and control?

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TonyGuillory
    Top Bottom