Some Questions about AR builds

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Law1911

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    Denham Springs
    I've been toying around with the idea of buying a stripped lower and slowly building up an AR. I've never done this before, so I was wondering how much is really involved, and would it be something a novice could do? If so, any tips on how the best way to get started?

I own a bushmaster AR already, but I was thinking building one would be a fun, and less expensive way to add another gun to the collection. I probably wouldn't want to build anything fancy, just something that I could put rounds downrange with.

JimmyB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    Berwick
    It’s not difficult at all to build a AR upper and lower. Anybody can do. A few simple tools is all that’s require. Like anything, it’s always good to get help from people that have done a few
    There are probably plenty of people that live near you that can help you and they will already have the tools

As far as saving money, not very likely unless you want a basic, off the self lower

Personally, I like and use 6 position buffer tubes, Magpul grips and stocks, I also use Wolff buffer springs
    I don’t like trigger problems. I tried Jard and others. The basic AR trigger is OK with me and it’s the one I use

It’s also good to start with a good quality lower. Don’t try and save a dollar on the upper or lower.
    The good stuff isn’t expensive

When you build your own, you will end up with a very good rifle

What do you want the rifle to do?

Law1911

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    Denham Springs
    What do you want the rifle to do?

Just general plinking probably. I really like my bushmaster, but I bought it used without doing really good research first (it was a good price). My main problem with it is it has a heavy barrel which makes it uncomfortable to carry around all day (I'm a LEO). I've actually thought about selling it to get another similar bushmaster that was lighter.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    Lowers are crazy simple to assemble, buffer tube wrench and some punches are really the only specialty tools. Uppers require a vise, receiver block, and a barrel wrench so they are a bit more complex.

EDIT: just saw your other reply, buy a lightweight barrel and swap it to your bushmaster, then use the bushmaster barrel for your plinking gun build. I'm sure members here would let you borrow tools or assist you with the swap.

Last edited:

Law1911

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    Denham Springs
    EDIT: just saw your other reply, buy a lightweight barrel and swap it to your bushmaster, then use the bushmaster barrel for your plinking gun build. I'm sure members here would let you borrow tools or assist you with the swap.

What's a good place to look for just a barrel? I know that prices will vary widely, but what would I be looking at price wise?

5.45 Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Evansville, IN.
    I've been toying around with the idea of buying a stripped lower and slowly building up an AR. I've never done this before, so I was wondering how much is really involved, and would it be something a novice could do? If so, any tips on how the best way to get started?

I own a bushmaster AR already, but I was thinking building one would be a fun, and less expensive way to add another gun to the collection. I probably wouldn't want to build anything fancy, just something that I could put rounds downrange with.

It is so easy I wouldn't call it a build it is more of just an assembly.
    Here is the complete assembly video for the stripped AR15 lower.

http://www.lifelibertyetc.com/Content/Video/LLE_AR15StrippedLower.wmv

I did my 1st AR build in about 30 to 45 min. it was just that easy.

Last edited:

dtd80

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Abbeville, Louisiana
    Besure to set your budget and follow through with your plans. It is very easy to think that you could get something better for a little more and you'll end up short on cash. Then your project would be on hold and you could lose interest depending on how long it'll take to come up with the money to finish it.

I will be building one sometime. Still researching because it'll be a simple bare bones light as hell rifle. Some guys have gotten down to a little over 5 lbs. So I will compare some components from their setup to the ones I want. When you have careful planning, executution is the easy part...

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    One problem you will run into is that it is harder to find a quality 1/9 Barrel. There are quite a few people making really good 1/7 Lightweight Contour Barrels; BCM, and Daniel Defense to name two. To find a LW 1/9 Barrel I guess you would have to look at White Oak or some other Barrel Shop or have a Barrel turned down.

Tim67

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    EBR
    All I know about the DoD's reason for the 1:7 is that it was said to stabilize tracers-ridiculously long in 5.56mm. There just seems such a huge gap in twist rates between the A1 and A2.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    That very well may have been the point in the beginning. As the variety of 5.56mm Bullets in a broad range of weights has increased it has been determined 1/7 Stabilizes a wider Variety of Bullet Weights. For the Military bullets are gonna be 62gr or heavier up to 77gr. 1/9 will stabilize 62gr bullets but will not stabilize the heavier bullets. 1/7, however, will stabilize the full range.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Mild point of contention--

Twist rate and stabilization follows a basic set of rules, but they aren't written in stone when you start looking at individual rifles. (An extra few inches of barrel can have an effect as well.) And when you're talking about stabilization, you might have excellent groups with one combination out to 100 yards, and then keyholes at any distance past that.

Despite not even being close to fully understanding the physics and mechanics of the whole thing, I know first hand that the rules don't always apply. For example, I have a 16" chrome lined 1:9 heavy barreled AR that will stabilize 75 grain Hornady TAP (at .223 pressures no less) out to 150 yards. Not sure past that, as I've never stretched its legs on this bullet. This rifle also prefers 69 grain SMK OTM over any other round I've fed it-- and this from 3 different factory loadings (Bitter Root, Remington and Federal). While it's widely accepted that 1:9 will stabilize up to 69 grain rounds, it's rare that they favor them over the 55-62 grain range.

Now, all of that said, my "best" rifle is 1:7 and that's what I recommend to folks looking for a serious use rifle-- or anything other than general plinking. As VG pointed out, they will consistently digest a wider range of weights/lengths-- including the heavier bullets that are preferable in many (if not most) instances. And while you could possibly get feasible stabilization out of a 1:9 twist, the rifle I describe is by FAR an anomaly-- the generalizations are true the vast majority of the time.

Good luck finding an affordable 1:8 twist barrel. Just as you're hard pressed to find a high quality 1:9, you won't find a moderate quality (i.e. affordable) 1:8 as they all seem to be match barrels, in my semi-limited experience.

VG, as usual, hit the nail on the head-- look at BCM and DD barrels, they offer impressive bang for the buck. I have a cold hammer forged BCM 1:7 and have always been very happy with the consistency.

msuitepyon

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 6, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    DPMS makes an 18" 1:8 twist stainless barrel for ~$180 with a gas block. It's what I've got on my latest build.

ar15.jpg

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    DPMS makes an 18" 1:8 twist stainless barrel for ~$180 with a gas block. It's what I've got on my latest build.

ar15.jpg

Nice! That's the only one I've ever seen. Still seems more geared towards match (or even hunting) than field use, with the 18" stainless.

Is it chambered for 5.56 or .223? Sure does look good on that rifle, btw.

msuitepyon

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 6, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Also, if you'd like to build it yourself and have access to a vise, I can lend you the upper receiver block and maybe an armorer's wrench (I had to modify it with a Dremel to fit my Midwest Industries barrel nut).

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    I have seen in the past when barrels that stabalize bullets they "shouldn't" that the twist rate is not what the owner thought/bought. For instance; I have an old Bushmaster with a 1/9 Barrel that when gaged was actually found to have a twist rate of 1/8.?. I think it's fairly common in Button Rifled Barrels.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    ER Shaw = Button Rifled I believe. I am not a barrel making expert just basing my opinion on my observations. Most places that make predominantly 1/7 Barrels have no interest in changing up tooling to make batches of 1/9.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Demmickb
    Top Bottom