Some Questions about AR builds

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chibajoe

Pratertium terminus est
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 29, 2007
    New Orleans
    Barrel twist rate is not exact. For example, a 1:9 marked barrel might actually be closer to 1:8 or 1:10 (although most newer barrels tend to err on the fast twist side). This, to some extent, explains why a "1:9" twist barrel will stabilize heavier bullets than it is supposed to. A quick and dirty way of measuring the actual twist of a barrel is to shove a cleaning rod with a semi-tight swatch on it down the barrel and measure how many times it turns over a certain length.

The military uses 1:7 because they need to stabilize tracer ammo, but it is actually not an optimal twist rate. It degrades accuracy for 55gr and lighter ammo, and causes excessive drag, reducing muzzle velocity (slightly). 1:9 was a good compromise for civilian shooters because it would work with just about any ammo until the advent of the new heavy bullets (70+gr). 1:8 is popular with precision shooters because it will stabilize the heavier rounds without the excessive drag of 1:7 (I guess for them even a couple of FPS advantage is important).

If you're looking for a good barrel, Nordic Components has 1:8 Wilson stainless mid-length barrels for $179 with free shipping. I doubt you're going to find a better deal on a better barrel. They also have Lilja barrels for $289, which might seem a bit much, but are arguably the best barrels money can buy (although I suspect these are the "budget" non-hand lapped barrels - still excellent barrels for the price).

Last edited:

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    I have seen in the past when barrels that stabalize bullets they "shouldn't" that the twist rate is not what the owner thought/bought. For instance; I have an old Bushmaster with a 1/9 Barrel that when gaged was actually found to have a twist rate of 1/8.?. I think it's fairly common in Button Rifled Barrels.

That's probably exactly what the deal is with this barrel-- and frankly, I couldn't be happier. :rofl: Thanks, false advertising and/or faulty construction! :bigok:

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    DPMS makes an 18" 1:8 twist stainless barrel for ~$180 with a gas block. It's what I've got on my latest build.

ar15.jpg
    Thats DPMS's game gun, its made for 3 gun, we use the 69gr a lot, I think it comes with a JP trigger also, its worth their asking price

msuitepyon

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 6, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    It sure is good looking, too. Not classical, but stylish. I really like that thing.

Thanks. The whole thing isn't from DPMS, just the barrel. The rest I pieced together.

MEGA Stripped Lower
    Bushmaster LPK
    Magpul MOE pistol grip and buttstock
    Spike's (blemished) upper
    Spike's M16 BCG
    DPMS 18" 1:8 medium profile barrel and railed gas block
    Midwest Industries 12" FF railed handguard
    ARMS polymer BUIS

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members