Some Thoughts on IWB Holsters

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Anyone else use the M-Tac from Comp-Tac?

I have been carrying my XD40 around in one and it is fantastic. Possibly the most comfortable IWB holster I have found. (Have tried quite a few including the summer special/summer comfort designs)

I do.

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    My IWB is a Crossbreed Supertuck, worn at about 4 o'clock. I got the horsehide instead of cowhide - I've been told horsehide is more comfortable in our kind of climate. The ability to tuck in my shirt around this rig was important because I have to wear dress shirts at work. On days when I have a jacket, the shirt can go behind the holster; or I wear my Blackhawk Serpa OWB.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    Horsehide provides more commensurate rigidity for less material than cow hide. IOW, a maker can use a thinner piece of leather for equal stiffness/rigidity. That may be where the "more comfortable" aspect you heard about came from; but, if you think about it, there isn't any other truth to that.

Also, horsehide doesn't go "soft" as soon as cow hide does. Well-used cow leather will grow progressively less rigid as time goes by. OTOH, I have a Ken Null ankle holster, made from horsehide, that I purchased in 1983 and wore pretty much every day for over 20 years. It is still quite serviceable. A lesser-brand ankle holster, purchased when I got out of the academy in 1978 and worn every duty day (and some off-duty days), got "soft" within three years. It had a thumb snap and still held the gun okay; but when I switched to the Centennial frame Chief, I needed a holster with no manual retention device- thus it needed to hold the gun firmly on its on.

Horsehide is best for that.

FWIW, my beltman belt is horsehide, and it is very strong. Horsehide is supposed to be more resistant to abrasion as well. I love it.

dangermoney

C'est Chaud Peur Lot
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Gonzales, LA
    The Beltman bullhide belts are great too. I've been wearing one every day for over two years and it's still going strong. Still look's great too.

Top Bottom