SP-101 concealed carry?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • speedster

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    My SP-101 (2.25 inch) should be delivered tomorrow to my FFL and i'll be picking it up. SUPER PUMPED! What are yalls thoughts on it being a CC gun? I've read it's a tad heavy, but other than that it seems like a great choice.

Opinions?

Also, I'll likely be ordering a set of badger grips for it after I get my CCL.

Leopardcurdog

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 9, 2009
    Hattiesburg, Ms
    I carry one everyday, most all day. It's in a Desantis Nemesis, or a Superfly, in a front or rear pocket, or on my belt in a leather holster. It is a very accurate easy to carry and easy to shoot weapon. Very easy to conceal as well. Heavier then what? That's all relative to what you get used to. I think you'll be very happy with it. I can't say enough good things about mine.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    It might be a little big for pocket carry, but maybe not. I carry a Taurus 605 (.357 Mag), but it's a tad shorter as it's more like a J frame in size. I wear Dickies cargo pants a lot and the pockets are just deep enough for the Taurus, but not sure about the SP101. I don't feel the weight will be a concern though. Good luck.

blanepara9

just some dude
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    lafayette
    I "thought" it would be too heavy myself. But a few months ago i wore it to the hunting camp all weekend and then built fence all day with it and I can't believe I was going to use it as a truck gun!!! I carry this baby everyday and I love it. I'm sure you'll enjoy it, if not Ill take it off your hands!!!

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Should be a good reliable tough as nails DA revolver. Of course with that short of a barrel the 357 magnum usually doesn't develop it's full velocity. From what I've been led to believe by people who've tested it a 38 special +P and a 357 Magnum will have similar velocities in a barrel length of 2 inchs. I do KNOW the muzzle flash from a snubbie 357 magnum is impressive for sure. :)

Dave

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I wouldn't say heavy, but its thick. Also speed loaders are harder to conceal than single stack mags. OTOH, if you can conceal it and are comfortable carrying it then you're well armed (not quite as well as with a 1911 but that's another discussion :) ). Remember, if its so bulky you don't feel like carrying it, they you're better off with something smaller (better a .22 in your pocket than a .44 at home in a safe...).

Leopardcurdog

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 9, 2009
    Hattiesburg, Ms
    Use a speed strip, load it with 4 rounds (leave the 2 middle holes open), and drop it in a pocket (not the same pocket as the gun obviously!) If you practice a lot, you can get pretty dang fast with a speed strip. As for velocities differences between 38 spl+P and 357 mag, I've chrono-ed several different rounds, and there are substantial differences. I realize "substantial" is objective too though.

tibodoe

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    I use a 2.5" SP101 as my nice clothes carry. It is more concealable than the Glock 23 that I carry to work. The SP101 is built like a tank,
    easy to conceal, and the recoil with hot loads is much more friendly than an LCR.
    Bret

oldman45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    northwest LA
    Well, I do not have one but would not be adverse to owning one.

As to carry, I have some advise. No hand gun is too heavy to carry if one takes the time to get accustomed to do so.

The first time one picks up any gun, it will usually appear to be heavy. As time goes on, the weight is not noticable. As time continues, the bulk is not noticed either.

Most people do not carry a firearm long enough to get used to the size, the weight and the position of the gun. They decide it is not for them and often stop carrying all together.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    I started to carry a Ruger LCR as a backup gun, I use the Desantis Apache Ankle Rig.

The same rig can be used for the SP-101.

Very comfortable, it spreads the weight of the gun and it doesn't shift much during the day. There is also a strap that allows for a secondary point of contact closer to the knee which transfers the weight even more.

I like this little rig A LOT

So far I like this little rig a lot.

tea333

Dysfunctional Vet
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    I've been CCing with a Ruger SP 101, 2 1/4" barrel for the better part of 10 years now. Have it riding in a Galco OWB holster that I bought at Ruger's website. Loaded with 125gr JHP's. For me it's a great CC pistol.

mmclin

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    Denham Springs, Louisiana
    How big you are will determine how difficult it will be to conceal. Personally though, I feel that anything can be concealed, you just have to find the right way. I daily conceal a P226, and have little issue doing it. I just can't shoot small frame pistols, despite many hours of practice with different guns and calibers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Top Bottom