Speeding ticket question. Alexandria

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swagge1

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I received a speeding ticket in Alexandria on the interstate last week. The only info the officer took was my license. No registration or insurance. How can they send this ticket info to my insurance co. if they don't even know the company? Is it somehow linked to my lic.# ? Anyway, I'm trying to keep this ticket off my insurance. Any tips?

deuxlatch

Airbus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Lafayette, La/Houston Tx.
    Sometimes you can write the local DA and give them a sob story and they will reduce it to a non-moving violation. You'll still have to pay the fine but it won't go on your record. I did that in Vermilion Parish. But that may all depend on which agency issued the ticket.

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I don't think that the police generally inform your insurance company about speeding tickets or the like. Your insurance company may check your driving record periodically (not likely), but their main concern is the number of accidents (ie claims) that you have. When you apply for auto insurance from a new carrier, they will check your driving record and at that point they may see the moving violation and raise their offered rate. If you stick with one insurance company, a speeding ticket probably won't harm your rate - this has been my experience and I have received a fair share of citations for moving violations over the years.

My advice... Go to court on the hearing date, plead not guilty and see what the prosecutor comes up with... If the cop doesn't show, you're off the hook, but they tend to show up these days. The prosecutor may offer you some type of pretrial intervention program so you can get the whole thing dismissed- you'll have to jump through a few hoops, maybe a class or two and an admin fee, but nothing will show up on your record. Or... You may be able to get it knocked down to a non-moving violation, pay the fine and go on your way. A non-moving won't affect your insurance rate. If you can't afford to pay the whole fine (moving or non-moving) you can usually get more time (30 days) to pay it if you ask.

Good luck!

ETA: If you have a clean record, feel free to tell the prosecutor that you're really trying to keep it off your record and they will usually help out.

Last edited:

glimmerman

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    CSA
    Call Richard Starlings' office with the City of Alexandria. He is the city Judge. Should be able to access his office number off the City of Alex. web page. Good Luck!

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    The insurance companies look that info up themselves. Sometimes they will perform random checks of insured. They do that on my delivery drivers sometimes after about two years on the job.

Additionally, if you have ever read the 5000 pages of BS in your policy (like we all do), I wouldn't be too surpeised if you are supposed to self-report any instances that could affect your driving record; like tickets, crashes, etc...

They (auto insurers), perform a worthwhile and needed service; but they can be parasites!

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    If it was issued by the state police, call the number on the ticket. If you have a good driving record, they will allow you to pay the fine and keep it off your driving record. If it was from a city, it will probably be more complicated, but they should work with you if you have a good record and are willing to pay. This is Louisiana after all, Money talks and B.S. walks.

glimmerman

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    CSA
    Daymn..:eek4: How fast were you going? I've seen street races out there on 49 if you can't do at least 150 MPH, you'd better not even show up........faster if it is one of those Hi Ya Boosa's!:noes:

I was told that the "off duty" Po Po was a spectator too! :peep:

Last edited:

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    I don't think that the police generally inform your insurance company about speeding tickets or the like. Your insurance company may check your driving record periodically (not likely), but their main concern is the number of accidents (ie claims) that you have. When you apply for auto insurance from a new carrier, they will check your driving record and at that point they may see the moving violation and raise their offered rate. If you stick with one insurance company, a speeding ticket probably won't harm your rate - this has been my experience and I have received a fair share of citations for moving violations over the years.

My advice... Go to court on the hearing date, plead not guilty and see what the prosecutor comes up with... If the cop doesn't show, you're off the hook, but they tend to show up these days. The prosecutor may offer you some type of pretrial intervention program so you can get the whole thing dismissed- you'll have to jump through a few hoops, maybe a class or two and an admin fee, but nothing will show up on your record. Or... You may be able to get it knocked down to a non-moving violation, pay the fine and go on your way. A non-moving won't affect your insurance rate. If you can't afford to pay the whole fine (moving or non-moving) you can usually get more time (30 days) to pay it if you ask.

Good luck!

ETA: If you have a clean record, feel free to tell the prosecutor that you're really trying to keep it off your record and they will usually help out.

I do believe that is slightly inaccurate information.

You can go to court on your traffic court appointed day to plead not guilty, and proceed to a trial. At that point on your official trial date, the officer will show up (or not).

Now, I've been to traffic court exactly once. I failed to pay a ticket (variety of reasons several years ago) and they removed the bench warrant BUT I had to show up for court. At no time did the Alexandria judge cut slack to anybody. That was in 2004 so your miles may vary and the judge sitting in traffic court may certainly be different but *that* one… Cordial but what I would politely call "brusque". In other words if you can't haggle with the DA, and you don't want to go to an actual trial… I'd pay the fine and plead. I think it was Yeager.

Last edited:

US Infidel

TRUST NO ONE
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Earth
    File an Article 894 when you go to court to pay your ticket. It wont go on your driving record if you dont get another ticket for a certain amount of time, I forgot how long that time is. Your insurance comany will inform DMV if your not insured and it will usually show up on the computer when your plate is run.

Last edited:

swagge1

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Thanks everyone. I think I'll just pay it. US Infidel... Ive always heard to save your Article 894 for a serious charge like Reckless op or DWI.

LabRat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Speed limit goes from 75 to 60 in the Alexandria area on I49 and it is very hard to maintain 60 after driving so much faster for a long time. Feels like going 10 mph :D

I got a ticket at 3am with no one else on the road for doing 68 in a 60. He also asked for nothing but my license and it only took about 5 minutes total to be on my way.

swagge1

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Speed limit goes from 75 to 60 in the Alexandria area on I49 and it is very hard to maintain 60 after driving so much faster for a long time. Feels like going 10 mph :D

I got a ticket at 3am with no one else on the road for doing 68 in a 60. He also asked for nothing but my license and it only took about 5 minutes total to be on my way.

Thats the same exact thing that happened to me. License, where are you going?, have a nice day. On to the next one.

US Infidel

TRUST NO ONE
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Earth
    Thanks everyone. I think I'll just pay it. US Infidel... Ive always heard to save your Article 894 for a serious charge like Reckless op or DWI.
    There's also an article 893 for a more serious offense. Just don't get a DUI or reckless op charge and you'll be o.k.

swagge1

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge, LA
    There's also an article 893 for a more serious offense. Just don't get a DUI or reckless op charge and you'll be o.k.

Its a little too late for a reckless op. 2002 Trans Am... and 23 years old down Coontrap road in Gonzales around 2004. LOL I almost got my license revoked by the judge for that one. I've been a good boy since then though!

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dpoirier63
    Top Bottom