split case in .41 mag

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mr. frog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Vi-Lou
    Had a factory load split on me the other day. Seems like the split started at the head space and went toward the neck. There is a burnmark left behind in the cylinder that I can't seem to clean off, but no cracks or pits. Should I have any concern? Its a ss taurus tracker...

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    It's probably fine, but you could see if a gunsmith could magnaflux it just to be safe. Might try some better cleaners and brushes.

Ijaw

Unknown Camper
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Bayou Tigre, LA
    Revolver? The ID of the cylinder bore may be out of mfg specification.

Cylinder bores machined/reamed to large allows the factory load casing to expand and split during discharge. I would return the defective firearm for a full refund or exchange.

Last edited:

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    How many rounds have you shot through it? I personally couldn't say what the problem was with revolver with the amount of information provided. Do you own a set of calipers? A quality set of measurements wouldn't hurt for tracking down the problem. If one or more of the cylinders are over sized this could be the problem. If the ammunition was out of spec that could be a problem. Most factory loaded ammunition has extremely high quality control, higher than Taurus anyway, but sometimes a bad round will manage to find it's way through.

Dave

Last edited:

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    There are a number of companies doing commercial reloads. If it is possible your factory loads were reloads, the brass could have been suspect.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Before you clean that cylinder, mark it somehow. If you have similar problems, from the same cylinder, then you'll know you have a cylinder out of spec. Try different brands of ammunition as well.

As others have said; You really don't give the complete story here. Was this the first time firing this firearm?

The fact that it's a Taurus leads me to suspect the firearm if it's new.

Brazilians are good at making skimpy outfits for beautiful women, but not quite so good at making revolvers as others.

mr. frog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Vi-Lou
    it is not new, it was inhereted. the factory ammo was 210 gr jhp federal. the person i inhereted it from DID reload and cast his own boolits, but this was his newest and he was barely developing loads for it, so nothing too hot went through. i have marked that cylinder and have shot several more rounds through it without any problem. that particular cylinder doesn't seem to affect the groups i get either. i appreciate the feedback.

Top Bottom