Springfield 1911 loaded model lightweight

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wadewilson

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 8, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    I'm thinking about purchasing this gun, but it has an aluminum frame, so I'm a little antsy about the recoil. This will be my first 1911, AND my first .45 caliber handgun. I'm not buying it to carry, I'm buying it because I want a gun to take to the range. I'm not dead set on this gun, so I'd just like to get the opinion of anyone who's fired this gun or a lightweight 1911 similar to it. I just want honest opinions, it's not gonna break my sweet little heart if a dozen people respond back and say "the frame is too light for it to be a manageable target gun." But, if the recoil isn't that bad, this gun will probably remain my first choice.

Also, I've been told I should only buy Springfield 1911's made in the US, and steer clear of the Brazilian ones. Thoughts?

SA_1911_Loaded_Lightweight_Bi-Tone_PX9104LP_A.large.jpg

Ranger57

Rating - 98.1%
    53   1   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Buy a Kimber. Warrior or something comparable to. I'd let you run a few mags through mine to see the quality between mine and the Springfield...

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    NOTHING wrong with that gun, I just got rid of a SA LW Champion OP and she was a tack driver, only reasson why she was sold is because I moved away from the 1911 platform.

Recoil was very managable, its just not recommended to shoot thousands of rounds of +P ammo on the lightweights, other than that go at it.

I would stay FAR away from a Kimber unless she was built prior to 2005, you can do your own research though dont take my word for it.

IF I was to buy a 1911 Springfield Armory would def be one to consider.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I wouldn't avoid an aluminum frame if I found a smokin' deal on one, but given the choice I would go for a steel frame. The difference in recoil isn't drastic, I just prefer the feel/balance of the steel frame, and unless you're carrying it the aluminum frame doesn't offer any advantage.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    I've got two friends with Kimbers..... an SIS and a Ultra Carry, both start to jam after 100 rounds if it doesn't get cleaned. If I were to get a Kimber, it would probably be a Warrior, but they don't come without a rail. I think they could get the problems fixed, but one sold his and the other just switched to "premium" ammo.

I'd get the SA as I prefer the 70 series type of firing system with the light firing pin over the Swartz Safety in the Kimber.

If they'd make a Royal without the Swartz safety and without the front slide serrations, I'd probably want one.

I'd probably get an all steel model since this is your first.

Last edited:

wadewilson

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 8, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    I've got two friends with Kimbers..... an SIS and a Ultra Carry, both start to jam after 100 rounds if it doesn't get cleaned. If I were to get a Kimber, it would probably be a Warrior, but they don't come without a rail. I think they could get the problems fixed, but one sold his and the other just switched to "premium" ammo.

I'd get the SA as I prefer the 70 series type of firing system with the light firing pin over the Swartz Safety in the Kimber.

If they'd make a Royal without the Swartz safety and without the front slide serrations, I'd probably want one.

I'd probably get an all steel model since this is your first.

Besides the aluminum gun looking a lot sexier than the parkerized gun, the ONLY reason I'm asking this question is because I want the loaded model. Now, the store I'm looking at has a loaded model parkerized, but it's made in Brazil, and I've been told to steer clear of the Brazilian made SA 1911's. However, they also have a parkerized range officer that's made here in the US, and they've shipped in a lightweight loaded model. I'm probably gonna wait until that lightweight model comes in. If it's Brazilian manufacture, I'm going to take a hard look at that range officer. I really like the night sights on the loaded model, but I mainly want this for a target gun, so I guess I should get used to those adjustable sights at some point.

Top Bottom