Springfield Armory Mil Spec advice

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cleburne

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    May 31, 2008
    Thibodaux
    For you 1911 experts, .... a co-worker's son has a Springfield Armory 1911A1 Mill Spec in stainless steel he wants to sell. It's like new in the box. Says he paid $700.00+ for it and is asking $650.00 with aftermarket pearl grips, about 20 defensive rounds, and 20 ordinary ball rounds. Comes in the factory plastic foam-lined case, with the loose factory grips, plastic magazine carrier and holster. Not knowing the value, I stuck my neck out and offered a flat $600.00. He's come back with a counter offer of $625.00. I've read good reviews of the pistol online but the prices I've found are all over the place and from a couple years ago. I'm basically a wheelgun affectionado but did like the look and feel of the pistol. Friends all have 1911's and they're starting to grow on me (awful news dollarwise). Any feedback from those familiar with the piece and its current value will be much appreciated.

KvichakKing

Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Aug 19, 2012
    Walker, LA
    $720 gets you a new one from budsgunshop dot com with free shipping. Add to that the transfer fees and you're somewhere between $735 and $750. If you're Jones'n for it just give the kid the cash and call it good. I don't have a SA 1911 but sure enjoy expending ammo out of my Colt Defender.

Cleburne

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    May 31, 2008
    Thibodaux
    Thanks for the response. It's a lot of money for me, especially this time of year with tax season approaching. But from a look at Gunbroker within the last few minutes, I think it's a fair price for the quality. Plus, I can always sell something else to help offset the expense. <sigh>

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Fair price for a solid gun.

BTW, there are two pistols people call the Mil Spec. The GI model which has the little bitty front sight is sometimes called the Mil Spec. The actual Mil Spec takes the GI and gives it a lowered and flaired ejection port and bigger white dot sights.

Last edited:

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    What I learned from owning a few 1911's but one with all the features you want. Bc what might start off as a good deal may cost you a bit once you start ordering parts. May wanna look into a range officer or loaded model, both have lowered ejection ports and a beaver tail. Range officer has adjustable sights. I like a Magwell and front strap checkering. So I opted for a trp.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    Price seems fair. I own one (the regular mil-spec, not the GI) and love it. Very traditional looking 1911. If you don't mind the standard beaver tail (no problem for me) and like the stock sights (will need a gunsmith to dovetail the slide to change) it's a great buy. The extractor on mine needed to be replaced around 5000 (went with Wilson Bulletproof Extractor, home install, no issues), but other than that, runs great. I change the springs every couple thousand to be safe. Shoots factory ball and HP 100%, it's a go-to house gun, and I'd stake my life on it. My handloads hang up about 1 in 300 or so, F T feed, the hang up clears with a quick re-rack (I think it's my lower power load, or maybe the fact I use brass till I wear a hole in it!). It's a good, solid 1911 with the SA name, If you like the stainless finish, I'd go for it.

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    That is a good fair price for a GI Mil Spec and if its the later Mil Spec with the higher sights, I'd say it is a real good price. I sold my SS GI Mil Spec only because the sights were the short original GI type and my old eyes just didn't like them anymore. Next 1911 I get will have the 3 dot sights. The one I had ate everything I put in it and never had any problems whatsoever--they are very nice 1911s for the money.

Gunfighter

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 13, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I agree. I have a Govt model, rough texture, no frills, parkerized finish. Just a plain old 1911 and I like it very well. Never experienced a FTF with it. The trigger was a bit gritty out of the box so I had a trigger job done to slick it up a bit. $625 is a fair price.

Cleburne

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    May 31, 2008
    Thibodaux
    Thanks for all the feedback. I declined, not because I thought it overpriced, but because I simply have more guns than I can shoot already. Am thinking of moving one of my Ruger Vaqueros or possibly my 10/22's to free up both money and space. Then I'll feel less guilty about the expenditure.

Cleburne

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    May 31, 2008
    Thibodaux
    Okay, I caved to the temptation. My co-worker will bring the pistol tomorrow and I'll bring the cash. Sheech, what a weak will I have. But I do rationalize that it's only parking some family funds until the need arises when I'll cash it back in, hopefully with interest. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom