Squirrel hunting

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tote412

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 24, 2012
    Sterlington
    Since the season opens Saturday, I was wondering if its legal to hunt squirrels from a boat.
    I'm thinking of floating down bayou bartholemew and hunting next week.
    I guess you could only shoot the ones on limbs that overhang the water though.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Progress must be ceased on the boat too. Be careful!

Check your facts on this! Hunting squirrels from pirogues and canoes is a tradition as old as Louisiana itself! Motor power vs man power?!?

The "movement must be ceased" clause is definitley in effect for migratory waterfowl, however.

Renegade

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Red Stick
    Check your facts on this! Hunting squirrels from pirogues and canoes is a tradition as old as Louisiana itself! Motor power vs man power?!?

The "movement must be ceased" clause is definitley in effect for migratory waterfowl, however.

Exactly! For everything other than fowl, the boat simply cannot be under power. Moving with the current or using a paddle/push-pole are ok.

ALSO NOTE: You cannot have a loaded weapon in a boat under power!!! This includes a full mag/empty chamber, big no-no!

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009

Exactly! For everything other than fowl, the boat simply cannot be under power. Moving with the current or using a paddle/push-pole are ok.

ALSO NOTE: You cannot have a loaded weapon in a boat under power!!! This includes a full mag/empty chamber, big no-no!

What these guys said! Squirrel hunting from a Pirogue is okay with paddle/push pole. And yes- a trolling motor is still considered a motor- so don't do dat. :D

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    I know that it used to be legal for squirrels but not for fowl. And I think it used to be legal for deer but was reversed at some time.

Quas

IT'S GOOD TO BE THE KING
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    You can hunt squirrels(NO FOWL) from a moving boat under power. The only problem is if you shoot a squirrel and it lands on the ground you have to have permission from the property owner to retrieve it...So basically you need to have permission to hunt someone's property before you hunt it even from a boat...

Renegade

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Red Stick
    I think a little bit of clarification is necessary:

1) No migratory game birds may be taken from a boat under power or with motor in the water - EVERYWHERE
    2) No deer may be taken from a boat under power or with motor in the water - EVERYWHERE
    3) No Raccoon or Opossum may be taken from a boat at all - EVERYWHERE
    4) No loaded firearms may be present in a boat under power - WMA ONLY

So, if you're hunting from a waterway, you may shoot squirrels/rabbits on private property from a moving boat (under power) with the property owner's permission.

Reference: http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/sites/default/files/pdf/publication/35748-hunting-regulations-2012-2013/la_hunt.pdf

Quas

IT'S GOOD TO BE THE KING
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Not sure about rabbit. But yes, 2 different sergeants said it is legal. Like you stated, WMA's don't allow a loaded gun while under power. One also recommended bringing a good dip net because they sink pretty fast!

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    I think a little bit of clarification is necessary:

1) No migratory game birds may be taken from a boat under power or with motor in the water - EVERYWHERE
    2) No deer may be taken from a boat under power or with motor in the water - EVERYWHERE
    3) No Raccoon or Opossum may be taken from a boat at all - EVERYWHERE
    4) No loaded firearms may be present in a boat under power - WMA ONLY

So, if you're hunting from a waterway, you may shoot squirrels/rabbits on private property from a moving boat (under power) with the property owner's permission.

Reference: http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/sites/default/files/pdf/publication/35748-hunting-regulations-2012-2013/la_hunt.pdf

Also, there is a partial exception to your #2 item for amputees. In this instance, the boat can't be under way but the motor can be in the operating position.

Last edited:

mudmixers9

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 24, 2011
    labadieville la
    I have been hunting squirrels from a boat for years and have great success. We use troller motors or paddle by using oars. the game wardens never tell us anything for using a troller motor.Its really what method you choose to use. personally i have killed more squirrels while oaring than using a troller motor, but its so much easier using the trolling motor

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Demmickb
    Top Bottom