SS Wet Tumbling - Armor-All versus Detergent

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bayou52

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2013
    Slidell, La
    I previously switched from using Dawn detergent in the Thumler's Model B hi-speed tumbler to using Amor-All wash & wax in order to inhibit the return of tarnish on the brass.

I'd like to report on the results:

My recipe is 1/4 teaspoon Lemi-Shine, 1 ounce (4 tablespoons) of Armor-All, and cold water in the drum. I use 3 pounds of 0.047" diameter SS pins and tumble for 5 hours.

I tumbled a batch of brass today and compared the brass to a batch I tumbled 5 weeks ago and let lay out to open air. The results were that the freshly tumbled brass had a shine that was virtually indistinguishable from the shine still remaining on the brass tumbled 5 weeks ago and left exposed to open air.

Therefore, it apears that the Armor-All leaves just enough wax residual to inhibit the return of the tarnish. That was the objective, and it appears to work.

Hope this is informative to other wet tumblers.

Bayou52

lachef

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    New Orleans
    Not to be a Debbie downer.................but there are 2 tablespoons in an ounce. So you are using 2 ounces. What this changes well not much unless you are factoring in cost per ounce

Bayou52

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2013
    Slidell, La
    Not to be a Debbie downer.................but there are 2 tablespoons in an ounce. So you are using 2 ounces. What this changes well not much unless you are factoring in cost per ounce

Good catch, lachef!

I'm using a little one ounce measuring thimble cup to measure the Armor-All. That's what goes into each batch.....

Thanks, Bayou52

Last edited:

Swampman1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    south La.
    2 questions for the OP. The tumbler is rated for 5 lbs of SS media, so why are you using just 3? And 5 hours? Sheesh that's a long time. I go 2 hours, and the brass comes out better than new. Just curious.

Bayou52

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2013
    Slidell, La
    2 questions for the OP. The tumbler is rated for 5 lbs of SS media, so why are you using just 3? And 5 hours? Sheesh that's a long time. I go 2 hours, and the brass comes out better than new. Just curious.

Hi, Swampman1 -

You are quite correct when you say the Thumler's tumbler Model B high-speed is rated for 15 pounds, and thus 5 pounds of pins can work in it. The reason I reduced to 3 pounds of pins is that I was having a terrible time with this tumbler breakinjg belts - and for no apparent reason. Nothing out of alignment, bushings oiled, no excess oil anywhere, no burs on the pulley channel, etc. A replacement belt costs about $5.00, and I was getting only 3 - 4 tumbling sessions per belt before it would break. This was getting frustrating and expensive.

So, I reduced the weight of the drum by cutting the pins by 2 pounds to see if this helped the breaking belt situation. I had been tumbling 4 hours per session with 5 pounds of pins, so with 2 pounds fewer pins, I bumped the tumling time up by 1 hour.

I have since abandoned the standard Thumler's replaement belts and gone with the same size ethylene propylene o-ring (standard size 343, in case you are interested. I have an "equivalent o-ring size" thread posted on this forum), and I use this o-ring for a belt now. So far, the first o-ring is still working like new after many tumbling sessions, and it only costs 80 cents.

Tumbling for less than 5 hours will surely give a good result, but I shoot for impeccably clean cases with no residue or trace of tarnish or powder remaining anywhere. That level of result is subjective on my part. I just like it.....

Happy tumbling....

Bayou52

Last edited:

Cajun Chooter

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    So Louisiana
    I use the Thumblers Mod B also.. I tumble about 9lbs of brass (approx. 900 brass) with 3lbs of pins - 3/4 gal of water - 1 - tea spoon of dish detergent 1 - tea spoon of Lemi shine .. tumble for 2 hours.. brass looks like new... NEVER BROKE A BELT yet !!!

Sigforty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2007
    I might have to give that a shot. I noticed mine would tarnish, but was just living with it for now. What method do you use to dry your brass after tumbling? My biggest issue is always blowing out the brass as water likes to sit in the primer hole.

Swampman1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    south La.
    I might have to give that a shot. I noticed mine would tarnish, but was just living with it for now. What method do you use to dry your brass after tumbling? My biggest issue is always blowing out the brass as water likes to sit in the primer hole.
    I use a very simple method that works great. I remove the cleaned brass and spray it down with hose to rinse it well. Then I lay a bath towel out and dump the rinsed brass onto the towel. Holding all 4 corners of the towel, I lift one end then the other end in a see-sawing motion back and forth a few times. That not only removes water droplets from the brass, but also will remove most of the SS pins. (Of course you want to visually check to make sure). Then I lay them out on the towel in the sun for a couple of hours...done. Never had any tarnishing.

Bayou52

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2013
    Slidell, La
    I use the Thumblers Mod B also.. I tumble about 9lbs of brass (approx. 900 brass) with 3lbs of pins - 3/4 gal of water - 1 - tea spoon of dish detergent 1 - tea spoon of Lemi shine .. tumble for 2 hours.. brass looks like new... NEVER BROKE A BELT yet !!!

You're definitely having better luck with your drive belts than me!

Bayou52

Bayou52

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2013
    Slidell, La
    What method do you use to dry your brass after tumbling?

Sigforty -

Here's my method for drying the brass:

I use the rotary media separator as a "spin cycle". After the pins are separated and the water removed fron the rotary media separator, I leave the wet brasses in the rotary squirrel cage, throw in a dry towel and spin for 20-30 seconds. This removes 90+ % of the dampness. I then repeat a second spin with another dry towel.

These spin cycles will remove almost all remaining dampness. This is because the brasses are decapped, and moisture escapes from both ends of the brasses while spinning. Simply laying the brass out in open air will cause any remaining moisture to evaporate - usually in 10 minutes or so or less.

No need for any heaters, air blowers, dehydrators, ovens, etc, etc with using this spin cycle technique. Only a rotary media separator is used.

Hope this helps....

Bayou52

Bayou52

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2013
    Slidell, La
    are both pulleys lined up ? if not they put an extra amount of strain on the belts..
    Hi, Cajun Chooter -

Yes, those pulleys are aligned - I used a straight metal edge to make sure.

The good news is that the o-ring belt I am using in place of the Thumler's belt is holding up great - many multiple tumbles and still working like new. Not bad for an 80 cent substitute....!

Bayou52

Top Bottom