St.Tammany Fracking

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    Please excuse me for ignoring most of you who do not live in my neck of the woods and who it will not affect should it go south. Being a family man with my families health and safety my #1 priority, I prefer not to play the odds. A zero possibility of health issues gets my vote.

Just FYI for my neighbors: Per the council meeting, Councilman Groby's efforts succeeded to have the council hire an attorney to bring the Parish through the potential fracking situation.

It’s a start in the right direction.

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell
    Please excuse me for ignoring most of you who do not live in my neck of the woods and who it will not affect should it go south. Being a family man with my families health and safety my #1 priority, I prefer not to play the odds. A zero possibility of health issues gets my vote.

Just FYI for my neighbors: Per the council meeting, Councilman Groby's efforts succeeded to have the council hire an attorney to bring the Parish through the potential fracking situation.

It’s a start in the right direction.

You aren't alone. I was "discussing" this with my coworker yesterday. He lives in Metairie.

My take on it is: I'm fine with fracking, and drilling for oil ANYWHERE that the water supply is not an issue.
    For us in St. Tammany, it is an issue. If something goes wrong, we are quite skrood. The Southshore won't be affected, so they pretty much don't care.
    We have several large businesses that depend on our aquifer. Abita Brewing Co, Kentwood Water, and several small companies as well, such as Covington Brewery. Zea's beers are brewed by Covington, so they'd be hit. Anyhow, even if it's 99% safe, that 1% is reason enough not to do it here.

Let them drill in the lake. Oh wait though, that might affect the cleanliness and fishing for people.. on the southshore.. can't have that!

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell
    A person can drink frack fluid. Most of it has less chemicals than the processed food we buy. Prolonged exposure to the sun will give you skin cancer. Might want to stay inside.

I have a question for the St. Tammany folks. How many of you get your drinking water from water wells on your property?

I grew up in a house with a well. Slidell City water comes from the aquifer, as does all city water on the Northshore.

Your gas bubbles in the marsh are methane created from decomposing plant and animal matter. That is nothing even remotely similar.

gunut

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Cut Off, Louisiana
    Your gas bubbles in the marsh are methane created from decomposing plant and animal matter. That is nothing even remotely similar.

Have you done test on the gas bubbles I am talking about? Do you know where I am talking about?

The place I am talking about is called The Bouillon. That word is french. It comes from the verb meaning "to boil". I live close to it. Please don't imply I don't know what I am talking about. You can believe what you want. I don't have a dog in this fight. Good luck with or without the fracking.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    We have several large businesses that depend on our aquifer. Abita Brewing Co, Kentwood Water, and several small companies as well, such as Covington Brewery. Zea's beers are brewed by Covington, so they'd be hit.

... :eek3: ...

InU74Ni.jpg

:dogkeke:

freedive10

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    This just keeps getting better and better! Ha, this may affect those of you far from Mandeville after all.

Fracking-Linked Earthquakes May Strike Far from Wells

ANCHORAGE, Alaska — Fracking may cause earthquakes much farther from the sites of its wastewater wells than previously thought, researchers said here Friday (May 2) at the annual meeting of the Seismological Society of America.

In central Oklahoma, a cluster of four high-volume wastewater injection wells triggered quakes up to 30 miles (about 50 kilometers) away, said lead study author Katie Keranen, a geophysicist at Cornell University in New York. The earthquakes have since spread farther outward, as fluids migrate farther from the massive injection wells, she said.

"These are some of the biggest wells in the state," Keranen said. "The pressure is high enough from the injected fluids to trigger earthquakes."

Scientists here noted the vast majority of injection wells haven't triggered any quakes, and the link between earthquakes and fracking or wastewater injection is not conclusive. However, there are now more earthquakes in the United States than before the fracking boom began. Between 1967 through 2000, there were an average of 21 earthquakes yearly above magnitude 3.0. That rate shot up to an average of 300 earthquakes yearly after 2010. [See Photos of Earthquakes' Paths of Destructions]

Keranen's new findings were among several studies presented here this week that draw a strong connection between fracking practices and earthquakes. Many geoscientists suspect America's recent sharp increase in earthquakes results from the growth in fracking. Plotted on a U.S. map, earthquakes since 2009 cluster near oil and gas operations in states such as Oklahoma, Ohio, Arkansas and Texas, as well as the usual quake hot zones in the seismically active Western states.

"It looks like the Earth has a case of the chickenpox," said Justin Rubinstein, a geophysicist with the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) in Menlo Park, Calif.

Overwhelming numbers

Fracking is a method of extracting oil and gas from the ground by fracturing and cracking — or fracking — rocks. The technique involves forcing millions of gallons of water laced with chemicals and sand into underground rock to free trapped oil and gas. After the fracking is finished, the contaminated wastewater is pumped out and injected back into the ground, disposed of in wells that are typically much deeper than the oil and gas reservoirs.

The injected fluid can lubricate buried fault lines and increase "pore pressure" on a fault's surface, making it easier for a fault to slip and cause an earthquake.

"Even though only a small fraction of injection wells do induce damaging earthquakes, there are so many injection operations that these operations have materially contributed to the seismic hazard in the U.S.," said Art McGarr, also a geophysicist with the USGS in Menlo Park. "In states like Oklahoma, where wastewater continues to be injected, I think it's highly likely we will continue to see larger earthquakes there."

In Oklahoma, where a magnitude-5.7 earthquake damaged houses in 2011, the earthquake rate now seems to exceed that of California, once the size of each state is taken into account, said Keranen's study co-author Geoff Abers, a seismologist at the Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory in New York.

Evaluating risk

Because of the recent jump in earthquakes, and their significant size, the USGS plans to estimate the national shaking risk from "induced seismicity" for the first time, Rubinstein said. Induced seismicity refers to any man-made earthquake, including fracking, wastewater injection and geothermal plants. [50 Amazing Facts About Planet Earth]

"We've never done this before," Rubinstein said. But "these earthquakes of larger magnitude really demonstrate that [induced earthquakes] are a significant hazard."

The new map will help illustrate something that people who live near wastewater injection wells already know: these shallow, triggered earthquakes are felt more widely and may cause more damage than natural earthquakes.

A natural earthquake can strike at any depth, but typically hit at an average depth of about 6 miles (10 km) in the continental crust, said Gail Atkinson, a seismologist at Western University in Ontario, Canada. In contrast, induced seismicity events are usually 1 to 2 miles (2 to 3 km) deep. "The close distance means that ground motion can be quite strong," Atkinson said.

The rising number of man-made earthquakes may pose a risk to critical infrastructure such as dams and nuclear power plants, according to a study presented by Atkinson on Thursday (May 1). But the danger is still unknown.

"Our experience comes from earthquakes that are much deeper," she said. "There is quite an absence of a regulatory framework in terms of how to evaluate what the hazard is and who is responsible for assessing and responding to it," Atkinson said.

http://news.yahoo.com/fracking-linked-earthquakes-may-strike-far-wells-133057848.html

Last edited:

freedive10

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    Helis Oil has voluntarily agreed to push back their request for a permit to drill near 1088. This 30 day delay will give the Parish more time to examine regulations to impose on this site. This doesn't mean that the project is denied or is on hold forever. This is only a 30 day delay. There is a meeting scheduled for Monday, and there may be more meetings in the next month.

Monday, May 12 at the Castine Center will be a question and answer meeting to further discuss the proposed Helis Oil Well.

Last edited:

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    That's the first time I have come across the so-called Halliburton Loophole, passed by a GOP majority in Congress under Bush which exempted fracking from even simple disclosure requirements under basic laws like the Safe Drinking Water Act.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    Oh my...a FRACKING LEAK! Shale well leaks during drilling process, forcing evacuations in Morgan County
    newwellleakgraphic.jpg

http://www.dispatch.com/content/sto...ounty-fracking-well-leaking-since-Sunday.html

Well this is interesting.
    Fracking problem in OH. Happening now.
    http://www.dispatch.com/content/sto...ounty-fracking-well-leaking-since-Sunday.html

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Nothing to do with fracking. Sounds like they hit a gas pocket while drilling.

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    Me? Not at all. Just don't want it done a mile and a half from my house. I'm just selfish like that.

Everyone against it here. I don't see how people can be against fracking, what other options are there? I do understand the not wanting it near homes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

freedive10

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    Everyone against it here. I don't see how people can be against fracking, what other options are there? I do understand the not wanting it near homes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm all about U.S. gas, oil , and energy! Just not at the expense of our health and having it in my back yard!

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    Being drilled in preparation fooooooor...

*Hint: first sentence in article*

Always a chance anytime they drill for anything that things like this may happen. This had absolutely nothing to do with fracking, just the inherent dangers of drilling. They're lucky it is just venting gas and nothing sparked it. We had one go up just down the road from me. Never seen so much melted metal in my life after they got it put out several days later.

The hard cold fact is that none of you really will have any say. If the leases are signed and the bonuses have been paid then there is already too much at stake and too much money behind it. They will either buy, blackmail, or destroy your politicians who will soon be telling you that fracking is safe and assure you that they will be "watching them like a hawk" to make sure it stays that way. If your properties are anywhere near proposed drilling sites, be ready to demand premiums for pipeline rightaways. Just don't push back too hard or you may find yourselves on the loosing end of an Eminent Domain fight.

I honestly wish it weren't true and there was hope of ya'll driving them out of South LA and back North. There is still a glut of drilling needing done up here now that NG prices have recovered a bit. Lord knows I could use a few more alt wells.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jp3544
    Top Bottom