St.Tammany Fracking

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

El Rubio

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Ponchatoula
    I've been reading this thread and mostly fall on the side of there being almost no threat to the water supply. I live in Tangipahoa Parish and get my drinking water from the same aquifers that run through parts of St Tammany. I wonder how many traditional oil wells have been bored through any of the aquifers in the area and why isn't/hasn't there been an uproar over that. There is a successful fracking well just ten minutes south of Kentwood that almost certainly pierced the aquifer. To me, many of the arguments against seem to be based on questionable "facts" about some chemicals found in ground water somewhere, or fracking caused earthquakes, etc. It reminds me of global warming proponents, they have the conclusion and piece whatever fits and ignore the facts.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    I've been reading this thread and mostly fall on the side of there being almost no threat to the water supply. I live in Tangipahoa Parish and get my drinking water from the same aquifers that run through parts of St Tammany. I wonder how many traditional oil wells have been bored through any of the aquifers in the area and why isn't/hasn't there been an uproar over that. There is a successful fracking well just ten minutes south of Kentwood that almost certainly pierced the aquifer. To me, many of the arguments against seem to be based on questionable "facts" about some chemicals found in ground water somewhere, or fracking caused earthquakes, etc. It reminds me of global warming proponents, they have the conclusion and piece whatever fits and ignore the facts.

I wonder about injecting all those chemicals into the ground rather than properly disposing of them (I think one of those links talked about how fracking has an exemption)
    Just doesn't make sense.....

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell

I'm not as worried about what's being shot into the ground as I am a break in the line.

I was not aware of any fracking wells in the area. If what you say is true, that's good news.

El Rubio

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Ponchatoula
    I wonder about injecting all those chemicals into the ground rather than properly disposing of them (I think one of those links talked about how fracking has an exemption)
    Just doesn't make sense.....
    I wouldn't know about exemptions, but supposedly the fracking liquid is recovered and at such a small percentage of overall chemical makeup of fracking liquid, how dangerous could the residue be that is left in it's place actually be? According to this, there's not that much really dangerous stuff in fracking liquid to begin with and if most is removed, the amount left must be minuscule.

I'm not as worried about what's being shot into the ground as I am a break in the line.

I was not aware of any fracking wells in the area. If what you say is true, that's good news.

Yeah, I'm with you on that, but has it ever happened? How many standard gas/oil wells have pierced aquifers all over the country, not just the fracking wells? Where is the evidence of broken lines and poisoned water supplies? I read that there have been about 2 million fracking operations in the US and not one confirmed case of contaminated ground water. One link I read claimed fracking as the cause of elevated arsenic in a few private wells near a fracking operation. It also claimed elevated ethanol readings too. Arsenic isn't used in fracking liquid but the authors suspect the fracking operation loosened rust inside the water well pipe and that is a common source for arsenic. In other words, we have our conclusion, let's figure out how the fracking could have increased the arsenic levels. They didn't have any measurements from before the fracking either. Supposedly, ethanol is a fracking chemical. However, the thorough scientists failed to have the ethanol analyzed which could have produced a signature that could have been easily connected to the fracking fluid. Without any real evidence, the headline reads "High Levels of Arsenic Found in Wells Near Fracking Sites".

Here's a link to a pro fracking article where the author debunks many of the so-called smoking guns and conclusive dot connecting done by activists. The comment section is full of liberal type nonsense and they quickly follow the standard pattern used in global warming, insult the author, call him a hack for big oil, blame the GOP, then after all else, blame the Koch brothers. Smells like BS to me.

gunut

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Cut Off, Louisiana
    Here's the first fail, later on in the same article she is saying there is not enough monitoring of emissions
    The findings by Rachael Rawlins, faculty member in the UT Community and Regional Planning Program in the School of Architecture, were recently published in the Virginia Environmental Law Journal. They were based on a comprehensive review and analysis of air quality monitoring, regulation and health effect studies of hydraulic fracturing on the Barnett Shale in Texas.

Here's the second fail. The DJ Basin in Colorado has more fracking going on than anywhere in the US.

The Barnett Shale is home to the most intensive hydraulic fracturing and gas production activities ever undertaken in a densely urbanized area.

Here's the third. Seriously? It takes about 6 hours to frack a well, is she saying that more diesel emissions are released during 6 hours than the 5:00 rush hour? Give me a freakin' break. And NOTHING and I mean NO chemicals are released into the atmosphere during a frack job.

Shall I keep going? Because I can find fails in every paragraph. And sorry for the late response Jack and Nomad, I've been on vacation. Do you guys watch CNN? Do some serious research, then post some links.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    gunut;1384901 Do some serious research said:
    But then they might have either admit they were wrong or use reason. Most people would rather base their Fracking opinions on far left sources with a political agenda. Those opinions are the ones that back up what they already KNOW to be true.

Seriously what out come do you expect here?

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gunut

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Cut Off, Louisiana
    Here's a question you should ask the St. Tam parish council. "Why are y'all raising all the fuss against fracking"?

Guess who gets greased if they pitch a bitch. That's right, the same sumbitch that is raising all the hell.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    So, What does a good greasing of a council man run now days ? I'm thinking a 100k should about cover all bases ?

Here's a question you should ask the St. Tam parish council. "Why are y'all raising all the fuss against fracking"?

Guess who gets greased if they pitch a bitch. That's right, the same sumbitch that is raising all the hell.

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    I'm on the sidelines with this. As I've stated I have not picked a for or against stance. All the chatter available on the web makes my head hurt. I am a lowly auto tech.
    I really like my quality of life. My well supplies me with great water. I grow organic heirloom produce. And yes I do leave a footprint on earth. It's inevitable.
    The proposed fracking has pushed me to pull my head out of the sand. I have more confusion now than before my ignorance.
    When I search for information the issue I have is the polarization of "facts". Some say no water has been contaminated. Others claim we are doomed. This seems to depend on how broadly the "process" is looked at. If viewed from birth to grave I could not imagine no water contamination happening. 3 to 7 million gallons of water used along with 150,000 to 350,000 gallons of chemicals is a frightening figure. I understand this happens every day and the sky has not fallen yet. Fracking fluids in the aquifier seems to be a low risk proposition. The VOC's handling and reclaimation present their own risk. The gases escaping during and after the drilling are in question. Remember I'm just bouncing around with this. I will need my petro products tomorrow.
    Couple of links I found interesting. BS or not?
    http://www.oilandgasbmps.org/resources/fracing.php
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/money...onfirm-water-pollution-from-drilling/4328859/

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Here's the first fail, later on in the same article she is saying there is not enough monitoring of emissions
    The findings by Rachael Rawlins, faculty member in the UT Community and Regional Planning Program in the School of Architecture, were recently published in the Virginia Environmental Law Journal. They were based on a comprehensive review and analysis of air quality monitoring, regulation and health effect studies of hydraulic fracturing on the Barnett Shale in Texas.
    How is this a fail? You can have a large amount of something without it being enough. Happens all the time. A perfect example is radionuclides associated with fracking.

Here's the second fail. The DJ Basin in Colorado has more fracking going on than anywhere in the US.

The Barnett Shale is home to the most intensive hydraulic fracturing and gas production activities ever undertaken in a densely urbanized area.
    The qualifier "in a densely urbanized area" was used. Denver is densely urbanized, however it doesn't look like most of the production in the DJ basin is in Denver.

20130506_093558_CD0505GREELEYFRACK_300.jpg

See fort worth?

Barnett.png

Here's the third. Seriously? It takes about 6 hours to frack a well, is she saying that more diesel emissions are released during 6 hours than the 5:00 rush hour? Give me a freakin' break. And NOTHING and I mean NO chemicals are released into the atmosphere during a frack job.
    Where is this stated in the article?

Oh, and where did anyone say anything about making fracking illegal?

Last edited:

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Fracking..Pffft, I want my road repaved, How do I get a council mans girlfriend to move down the street ?

Or, I need a load of shell's for my driveway, But its not election year ?

Its the little things that help out Joe Citizen

Did I tell y'all I have over 2000 hours of training on fracking? I'm an expert and will be doing classes for a small fee of course.

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    I think I have found the answer to one looming question I had. The water required for the operation would be drawn from surface ponds. I like that idea.
    After speaking with my niece who is a LSU taught geologist and is almost neutral with this, I have another question.
    The shale in the area of the proposed well is already fractured. The sediment in this area pushes down on the shale and fractures it. Fresh water here is no deeper than 3,000 ft. The well would fracture around 13,000 ft. I understand that is a lot of separation with shale but what are the systems in place to monitor the preexisting fractures and keep the salt water where it belongs?
    We would not have free flowing wells without some naturally fracturing although these are much shallower then the fracking depths.
    Her concern is with the salinity threat to the Southern Hills Aquifer and not the drilling or fracking process.
    FWIW The natural gas produced by this well would be so much cleaner burning than coal. That sounds like a win to me.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom