Star Model 30...what say ye??

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tx_oil

Tx_oil
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Youngsville
    100_3615.jpg

Just brought this home from the LGS today. I have read a bit about the Star firearms company in Spain, and was impressed by this particular model. It is ALL STEEL, 15+1 capacity, ambi safety, tool-less takedown and seems rugged as a cinderblock. I am just curious if anyone here has any advice, experience, etc pertaining to this model. And, for the record, I KNOW it is NOT an HK/Colt/Glock/etc, just an oddball Spanish pistola.

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    I've owned several Stars and as usual, LSP nails it.

I loved my Star PD, but the softness of the frame made it eat itself.

I had a nice Firestar in .45 that was a good shooter... till the slide stop sheared off. Try finding one of those...

As long as you don't need parts, they're great. If you ever need a part, throw it in the drawer and forget about it. NOBODY has any parts for these things anymore.

But hey, at least it isn't a Bersa.

marmy7451

Bill
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Livingston Parish
    SARCO has the remaining inventory of STAR parts in the U.S. If you write them with your needs you may be surprised what is available. I was able to assemble a complete parts and spring set for my PD and for my sons ultra star and my Firestar 40.

Tx_oil

Tx_oil
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Youngsville
    It's neat for a collector. BUt it's not a P.08 Luger. :) Only really cool people own those. :thumbsup:

Dave

Dave, again, mah brutha, YOU DA ^%#%^$ MAN!!!!

I got this for my son, for when he becomes of legal age to own it. Of course, until then I will shoot and enjoy it. It is definitely not a P08, but then nothing else is, correct??
    I detail stripped it, and it appears to be unfired. Completely cleaned and lubed it and polished the frame rails, and it has a very smooth action now. I will be taking it to Sherberne soon (along with the aforementioned German toggle action marvel) to run some range ammo through. My gun safe is beginning to look like a NATO meeting, with Belgian, German, Croatian, Canadian, Brazilian, Italian, Argentine, American, and now Spanish makes represented.

Hardballing

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    Oddly enough, I've been to the Star plant in Spain.

I was impressed at that time (1998 ish) as I got a tour of their operations for the Spanish military. Was there on vacation and they did open plant tours so...signed up and went. Their early guns (and I'm saying immediate post WW2) got used extensively in Europe despite a glut of captured weapons at that time. W Germany purchased relatively large amounts to outfit post war police forces until they could dig out of the rubble for domestic production.

Commercially, hit or miss on the popularity of their models and if not for Interarms in the 80's and 90's you'd really never ever see them. PD was a great one in .45, but as been mentioned, it did tend to pound itself after LOTS of firing. I'd LOVE to find an unfired BKM, for just the reason Steve mentioned.

The Mod 30 is one of their better ones imo. Used by Spain IIRC in all branches of service, had some export success and widely used by jihadi's in the various sandbox's where they dwell. In short, you've got yourself a rather decent "wonder nine" that has a track record of success in real world usage. If it were me, I'd shoot the crap out of it. With care (it's an all steel 9mm), it should outlive you (but I hope not of course :) ).

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Dave, again, mah brutha, YOU DA ^%#%^$ MAN!!!!

I got this for my son, for when he becomes of legal age to own it. Of course, until then I will shoot and enjoy it. It is definitely not a P08, but then nothing else is, correct??
    I detail stripped it, and it appears to be unfired. Completely cleaned and lubed it and polished the frame rails, and it has a very smooth action now. I will be taking it to Sherberne soon (along with the aforementioned German toggle action marvel) to run some range ammo through. My gun safe is beginning to look like a NATO meeting, with Belgian, German, Croatian, Canadian, Brazilian, Italian, Argentine, American, and now Spanish makes represented.

I ain't the man. You da man!

Let me know how it shoots. I love weird Eurpoean handguns.

Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Demmickb
    Top Bottom