Starting a bob

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Welcome! Go write an intro when you get a minute...

There's a very long thread that covers a lot of good information on the board that I can't seem to find right now (it really needs a sticky).

Are you asking about the bad itself or what's in it?

For a bag it needs to be small enough to carry on foot comfortably. Say 30 lbs of stuff. I prefer backpacking day packs to the typical bug out / military style bags. They're more comfortable to carry and are less likely to make you a target... To each his own though...

What's in it? In no particular order: Firearm, ammo, food, water, shelter, water purification, fire starter, light, first aid, knife. You have to decide its use and how long you need to survive. Does it stay in the car? Are you in a rural or city environment? How far do you have to go to reach shelter? Each one of us has a different situation. Think it through...

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Welcome! Go write an intro when you get a minute...

There's a very long thread that covers a lot of good information on the board that I can't seem to find right now (it really needs a sticky).

Are you asking about the bad itself or what's in it?

For a bag it needs to be small enough to carry on foot comfortably. Say 30 lbs of stuff. I prefer backpacking day packs to the typical bug out / military style bags. They're more comfortable to carry and are less likely to make you a target... To each his own though...

What's in it? In no particular order: Firearm, ammo, food, water, shelter, water purification, fire starter, light, first aid, knife. You have to decide its use and how long you need to survive. Does it stay in the car? Are you in a rural or city environment? How far do you have to go to reach shelter? Each one of us has a different situation. Think it through...

Yep!

There are GREAT ideas in that thread.

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    I think it really depends on where you plan on going if something were to happen. I keep a Get Home Bag in the car with everything I will need to walk the 20 or so miles home should something happen at work. Where I am taking the family if something happens is family land about 3 hours drive from my home. If cars ain't moving I ain't walking it with the kids/wife so my Bug Out Bag is something car portable and kept at home with everyone else's bag. Because I have gear at that location, all I keep in the bag at home are the basics. Extra clothing, some light camping type necessities, etc. My mindset is, if I can't make it there in the truck I'm not going "into the wild" to survive off the land. Ill hunker down for the time being and see what happens. With two young kids, hiking it just ain't happening.

bsoileau24

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Around ville platte
    I want to take time to thank all responses to my question the help i received was great. Now i am well on my way to completing my bag . This is a great sight and from what i see good people helping others . Thanks again

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I want to take time to thank all responses to my question the help i received was great. Now i am well on my way to completing my bag . This is a great sight and from what i see good people helping others . Thanks again

Pictures? Description? Come on, let us at it so we can tell you what you're doing wrong! :)

Slider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    Agreed :) My system is no where near as extensive however I recently started upgrading some items in my GHB's and BOB's, saving weight and re-organizing them in a more logical way. Seems the more uncertain things seem and the more I learn from this and several other forums in addition to field testing/camping items, I"m starting to weed out the junk I bought and increasing the skill sets along the way.

And yes, a bag does factor in to the equation doesn't it LOL.

@bsoileau24 just keep researching and buy the best stuff you can afford and remember it takes time. Usually you'll change/ modify / and pack your gear alot over time once you figure out what works best for you. No 2 BOB's are alike, that's whats so cool.

benorth

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 17, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Surf ebay for some ideas (be weary not everything is the best quality) but you can search bug out bag and they will have anything from complete bags, to components. I keep multiple bags. One is an everyday carry, one is the families bag and my wife carries another. We both carry a few gallons of water in the trunk and emergency supplies for repairs and medical, as well as a few MRE's. You really have to tailor it to your needs and what you expect could be the issues as to why it is necessary.

Top Bottom