Starting EMT school

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BobKaro

Yellow Boxes? Sweet!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Youngsville, LA
    Unfortunately at AASI it'll mostly be transfers and BS. EBR EMS gets far more true emergencies than Acadian as a percentage of our call volume.

Dave

That depends where you're at. BR or other areas with a Municipal EMS, yeah.

In the Lafayette area we're the only EMS service around. We have a few BLS trucks running transfers during the day. I've run maybe one every other shift lately on a mainline unit.

CPL_Primeaux

AK-holic
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Lafayette ,Slidell,Abbeville
    Ok I have a question guys. I go July 9th for the Info and placement test July 9th. In my EMT booklet from SLCC it says I need to be CPR certified(provider). Everything I find online, as I understand it I would need to get my CPR certification prior to the info and placement test. Is that correct? Or do I need to get it before the actual classes start (which would give me a little more time)?

Also, you newer medics may be able to answer this better. I am going for my EMT basic(as we know).

For the infromation and testing session, since I am just going for EMT basic all I would have to take is the reading test correct ? For the Paramedic I would have to take the math and reading? THis is how I understand it from what I have read online. I have been studying math but if I wont be taking the math portion I can focus more on reading...which I am not to bad at.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Question for ya'll that this thread has brought up:

Ya'll know where in Baton Rouge I could do the EMT-B in the evenings?

I was an EMT-B, but it expired in 2005 when I was in Iraq.
    Been thinking of picking it back up. (too bad I can't just go for the EMT-P)

asianpersuasion

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Seabrook/BR
    Question for ya'll that this thread has brought up:

Ya'll know where in Baton Rouge I could do the EMT-B in the evenings?

I was an EMT-B, but it expired in 2005 when I was in Iraq.
    Been thinking of picking it back up. (too bad I can't just go for the EMT-P)

Call EMS I took my class during evenings with them

BobKaro

Yellow Boxes? Sweet!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Youngsville, LA
    Ok I have a question guys. I go July 9th for the Info and placement test July 9th. In my EMT booklet from SLCC it says I need to be CPR certified(provider). Everything I find online, as I understand it I would need to get my CPR certification prior to the info and placement test. Is that correct? Or do I need to get it before the actual classes start (which would give me a little more time)?

Also, you newer medics may be able to answer this better. I am going for my EMT basic(as we know).

For the infromation and testing session, since I am just going for EMT basic all I would have to take is the reading test correct ? For the Paramedic I would have to take the math and reading? THis is how I understand it from what I have read online. I have been studying math but if I wont be taking the math portion I can focus more on reading...which I am not to bad at.

They usually make a CPR class available for new students. I'd call Ms Rebecca confirm that just to be sure. She can then answer your question about the placement test as well.

11Bravo

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Opelousas, LA
    That depends where you're at. BR or other areas with a Municipal EMS, yeah.

In the Lafayette area we're the only EMS service around. We have a few BLS trucks running transfers during the day. I've run maybe one every other shift lately on a mainline unit.

Even working in Baton Rouge, we also cover Iberville, Plaquemine, West Baton Rouge, E. Feliciana, Pointe Coupee, Ascension, and Livingston parishes. We run far more emergencies than we get credit for. I'm not saying EMS doesn't run their assess off, because I know they do. We just cover far more area than people realize. It's not just all transfers and nursing homes.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

CPL_Primeaux

AK-holic
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Lafayette ,Slidell,Abbeville
    Alright guys. I went to the EMT info session . I passed my reading placement test and got all my **** together. They are sending out the acceptance letters tomorrow so I am told and we should have them by Friday . Then I can go on LoLA and schedule my classes. I cant wait. Im ready to get back up to date on the medical training.

11Bravo

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Opelousas, LA
    Simple math skills, and to be honest pay is not that great. EMT-B start around $25,000 a year. In the area I work paramedics start at around $40,000 a year.

JBE

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Welsh, LA
    Simple math skills, and to be honest pay is not that great. EMT-B start around $25,000 a year. In the area I work paramedics start at around $40,000 a year.

You know what really sucks? Basic pay wasn't much less than that in the early 90's...

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

11Bravo

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Opelousas, LA
    You know what really sucks? Basic pay wasn't much less than that in the early 90's...

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

That's what I hear. Your heart really has to be in it to stay working the streets. We get paid crap. NEMSA is doing this BS new promotion to recruit basics with a banner that says "3 Months training = $30,000" I just shake My head every time I see it.

JBE

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Welsh, LA
    That's what I hear. Your heart really has to be in it to stay working the streets. We get paid crap. NEMSA is doing this BS new promotion to recruit basics with a banner that says "3 Months training = $30,000" I just shake My head every time I see it.

I see that same banner in Houma everytime I heading to or leaving the heliport.

My heart was in it, but after almost 20 years my body and my bank account couldn't take it anymore...

11Bravo

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Opelousas, LA
    I see that same banner in Houma everytime I heading to or leaving the heliport.

My heart was in it, but after almost 20 years my body and my bank account couldn't take it anymore...

I hear ya brother. I love what I do, but I sure could use more money. Especially with a wedding in November and kids down the road. I've been weighing my options lately and have a few ideas I'm considering. Only eleven months left on My contracts so I need to hurry up.

mct601

Airborne IV Peddler
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    Hattiesburg
    I haven't been on here in a while

Good luck on your class. The best tips I can give you is STUDY, even if the info is simple make sure you know it thoroughly. The tests are made to confuse you, if you do not know your information it will be easy to be confused by three different possible answers that have only one minor difference between them. This goes for NEMSA and NREMT's CBT. You will make this class harder on yourself than what it really is.

I am a student at the Covington site wrapping up my paramedic class. Just visited Lafayette yesterday to do trauma simulations.

BobKaro

Yellow Boxes? Sweet!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Youngsville, LA
    I haven't been on here in a while

Good luck on your class. The best tips I can give you is STUDY, even if the info is simple make sure you know it thoroughly. The tests are made to confuse you, if you do not know your information it will be easy to be confused by three different possible answers that have only one minor difference between them. This goes for NEMSA and NREMT's CBT. You will make this class harder on yourself than what it really is.

I am a student at the Covington site wrapping up my paramedic class. Just visited Lafayette yesterday to do trauma simulations.

Yep. The don't want a right answer. Lots of them are right answers in one way or another. You need to know the best answer.

Top Bottom