STI trojan 9mm

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    For the barrel lugs and hood, should one use oil or grease

On a lightly sprung 9mm with light loads, oil only.

Delta, you may want to try some loads around the 140 PF range. The 1911 slide is kinda heavy and I don't care for the way they react with light loads. I don't like 147gr bullets at all. I run 115gr bullets in my Production gun to get the slide moving quickly. For shooting steel, you want a fast moving slide.

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    On a lightly sprung 9mm with light loads, oil only.

Delta, you may want to try some loads around the 140 PF range. The 1911 slide is kinda heavy and I don't care for the way they react with light loads. I don't like 147gr bullets at all. I run 115gr bullets in my Production gun to get the slide moving quickly. For shooting steel, you want a fast moving slide.

I take a different approach than scooter. My Trojan is my steel gun. I prefer 147 gr bullets in 9mm for a softer "push" recoil pulse and find no problem running subsonic loads at around 135-8 PF in either my Glock 34 or my Trojan 9mm. However, in both I lighten the recoil spring from stock.

The stock STI spring is rated at about 12# according to STI. I use an 11# ISMI with my loads. Tried a 10.5# but it was too light to control the slide...felt like the slide was slamming into its stops.

I have excellent slide velocity with the 11# with my loads: once you shoot lighter loads with a heavy spring, you'll understand what scooter is saying...you're on target and ready to pull the trigger, but you feel you are still waiting for the slide to return.

TonyT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    As far as slide lube is concerned how does this gun like to run? Wet or Dry.

Also how about C.O.A.L? Long (1.169), short (1.110), or inbetween.

Of course I'm going to experiment just looking for some starting points

I shoot an STI Trojan in 40 S&W and a friend shoots one in 9mm. Both of use like to run the guns wet with MILTEC or FP-10.

Will_M

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    I heard a joke once that went like this.

Q: How much oil should you put on a 1911?
    A: More.

If you don't have oil coming off the back of the gun, you don't have enough. Especially on a tightly fit gun like a Trojan.

FTRrookie

Freedom Not Free Stuff
    Rating - 98.6%
    68   1   0
    Apr 25, 2009
    Houma, la
    Another question. This has to do with mags. Right now I have 4 mags 2 STI and 2 mecgars. They all hold 8 rnds.
    When I shoot I need all the help i can get so I want to get 10 rounders. I would like to get Mccormicks but I can't find them in 10 rnd. Which ever brand I decide on they must have metal followers. No plastic. So I need some opinions. I'm looking at
    Tripp Cobras, or Dawsons. If I go with the Dawsons should I get the "No Gap" or "Standard" base pads?

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    "I" would go with the Tripp mags. Virgil is a joy to deal with.
    "No Gap" or "Standard" depends on which of Dawson's magwell you are using.

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    My experience is with the Dawson Supreme Tacticals and has been completely positive. I have the No Gap magwell so......;)

With its skinny mags, a good magwell really helps a single stack and the No Gap Ice is as slick as...hmm...ice. :D

Top Bottom