Still have some basic questions regarding Hunting Regulations

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • barbarossa

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    This will be trivial to most of you, but since this is my first season deer hunting, I could really use some help.

So, there are WMAs that each have their own regulations, and there's private land/leases. Is there public land that everybody can hunt that is not a WMA?

Reason I'm asking, if you read for instance, page 9 of the 2010/2011 Hunting Regulations, you'll find (say for area 6) a deer firearm season from Nov. 20 - Dec. 10, and again from Dec. 11 - Jan. 23. What land does this apply to? Obviously not the WMAs in that area (like Sherburne), because they have much more limited firearm seasons. Obviously not the private leases either, because they are hunting outside of these days. So I'm guessing there must be public lands for which these rules apply that are not WMAs, right? How do I find those?

I hope this question makes sense, I want to understand this.

One more: I have a CCW. That means I can carry a pistol in a WMA. Say it's legal squirrel season, but not deer firearm season. I'm out there hunting squirrels with a .22 and find some hogs. Can I legally shoot those hogs with my pistol, or does the "rimfire only" rule still apply?

Thanks, barbarossa

Last edited:

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    People hunting on private property/hunting clubs are still required to hunt within the designated dates. There are certain hunting "preserves" that do not have to follow specific dates, but this would not apply to wild animals- only pen raised animals they supply for their customers.
    (In short- landowners do not "own" the wild animals on their property- the state does.)

As for your original question, areas that are considered "public" are owned by either the state or federal gov't, and usually fall under some type of different season dates & slightly different regs as the "outside". But- check out some of the National Forests listed on Page 50. They usually offer more generous regs & dates than the WMAs. :)

Last edited:

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    You can view each WMA's regulations on LDWF website.
    No, as far as I know there isn't any public land like you describe.
    Hogs are in season on WMA's as long as another game is in season. If no other game is in season you cannot shhot hogs on WMA's.
    I think the only time you cannot carry a sidearm is when you are bowhunting during bowseason. So I'm pretty sure you could shoot a hog with a pistol while hunting squirrel.
    Private land is open season on hogs year round.
    Be carefull squirrel hunting on WMA's, some people will not take kindly to you walking by them while they are bowhunting. It's your right for sure, but I would suggest staying close to roads where it is unlikley someone is deer hunting.
    Oh yeah, for deer on Sherburne, hunt north towards Black Bayou

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    This will be trivial to most of you, but since this is my first season deer hunting, I could really use some help.

So, there are WMAs that each have their own regulations, and there's private land/leases. Is there public land that everybody can hunt that is not a WMA?

Reason I'm asking, if you read for instance, page 9 of the 2010/2011 Hunting Regulations, you'll find (say for area 6) a deer firearm season from Nov. 20 - Dec. 10, and again from Dec. 11 - Jan. 23. What land does this apply to? Obviously not the WMAs in that area (like Sherburne), because they have much more limited firearm seasons. Obviously not the private leases either, because they are hunting outside of these days. So I'm guessing there must be public lands for which these rules apply that are not WMAs, right? How do I find those?

I hope this question makes sense, I want to understand this.

One more: I have a CCW. That means I can carry a pistol in a WMA. Say it's legal squirrel season, but not deer firearm season. I'm out there hunting squirrels with a .22 and find some hogs. Can I legally shoot those hogs with my pistol, or does the "rimfire only" rule still apply?

Thanks, barbarossa

The dates you quoted apply to private and public lands unless otherwise specified in the hunting regulations book. Tunica Hills, for example, has no rifle season except for muzzle loader and you cannot bring a handgun (of any kind or caliber) on the North tract. However, private lands (leases or privately owned land) has to play by the hunting regulations guideline. They cannot have a rifle season between October 1 and November 19th or after Jan 24.

"Public land" that you can hunt on is going to be WMAs, NWRs and National Forests. Public land is still owned by a government entity which sets rules and standards. For example, BREC parks in Baton Rouge are public parks but they have a "No Firearm on property" policy but there are park that have ponds that you can fish. Cat Island NWR is bow only from October to Januaray with no hand guns allowed. There is only 1 week or muzzle loader and 1 week of rifle in which you have to pay to enter a lottery to get a permit for those weeks.

Hope that helps.

Kook

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    New Iberia
    There are areas where you can hunt state land under the general seasons/regs. It is considered public land and doesn't fall under WMA or NWR.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    You could not use your concealed weapon in that situation.

It says you can carry with your permit "provided these firearms are not used for hunting purposes."

You can take feral hogs on WMAs only by using a weapon that is legal to use for whatever season is open at that time. (rimfires/shotguns for squirrel & rabbit season, centerfire & muzzleloader rifle during the modern rifle season, primitive rifle/muzzleloader only during the primitive weapon-only week, & archery the entire archery season)

Last edited:

Uncle John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2010
    Leesville Louisiana
    Pick the place you want to hunt...such as Clear Creek WMA. Read the rules for the separate area. At this time for instance you can not hunt wild hogs there but you can on nearby Ft Polk WMA. There are specifics in each area. Pretty simple you just read and comprehend. Hunting dates are different throughout the state so you must look into specifics. To the new hunter it looks complicated but it is a necessity that you understand.

Pay attention to: firearms regs and type of weapon to be used during a certain season.
    Insure that you have Hunter Orange where required. Study the dates of season very carefully. ect

I usally tell new hunters to read the whole book three times and then ask questions.

barbarossa

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    You could not use your concealed weapon in that situation.

It says you can carry with your permit "provided these firearms are not used for hunting purposes."

You can take feral hogs on WMAs only by using a weapon that is legal to use for whatever season is open at that time. (rimfires/shotguns for squirrel & rabbit season, centerfire & muzzleloader rifle during the modern rifle season, primitive rifle/muzzleloader only during the primitive weapon-only week, & archery the entire archery season)

Thanks. As for the bold part (my emphasis), can I carry a 12gauge loaded with buck shot during small game season and use it on hogs? Or is there a limitation on shot size?

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    Thanks. As for the bold part (my emphasis), can I carry a 12gauge loaded with buck shot during small game season and use it on hogs? Or is there a limitation on shot size?

The only time you can have buckshot (even in a vehicle) on a WMA is during rifle season for deer. Otherwise, you are limited to legal shot for what ever season is open.
    During closed deer gun season, it shall be illegal to possess shotgun shells loaded with slugs or shot larger than BB lead or F steel shot while small game hunting.

Last edited:

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    So, once I find this state owned land, how do I go about seeing if it is accessible, etc... Happen to have found some within 15 miles from my house.

To be legal you could carry a couple shells of the largest non buck shot or non slug rounds you can find. I think this is BB or BBB.

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Gonzales
    Some of the other WMA non property you can get a permit is Corp and some Mil areas. You will also note the date seperation has a without dogs and then a dog season.

Last edited:

RocknRolla

Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Abita Springs, La
    Ok, I have two questions.

Does the sidearm restrictions apply to a handgun I am carrying concealed?

If there are times you're not allowed to have buckshot, even in your car, what about going to the Honey Island Swamp to shoot at the range? Are there specific rules regarding them?

Top Bottom