Stolen Handgun: BOLO Please

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bobcat32

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Lake Charles
    A ccw is required if you conceal it..That is why you have to show it in the open or put in glove box or trunk...When I drive to tx ,,I have to actually conceal it,Because tx law says you have to conceal it.LA law says you have to have it in the open.,.Idk why the glove box is ok,,but it is as far as Ive heard from the LEO around here...

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    No offense man, but the physical description you gave us doesn't sound like you knew this person "really well" (possibly Mexican).

Last edited:

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    A ccw is required if you conceal it..That is why you have to show it in the open or put in glove box or trunk...When I drive to tx ,,I have to actually conceal it,Because tx law says you have to conceal it.LA law says you have to have it in the open.,.Idk why the glove box is ok,,but it is as far as Ive heard from the LEO around here...

Who told you this? In LA, your CHP means for "on you", bro.

Please read this link. It serves to educate with many of the most FAQs involving LA gun laws & legalities. A fellow BS member worked very hard to compile this list. Again- please read- and be sure to check question #3.:)

http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?40068-CHP-Gun-Related-FAQ

Last edited:

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    No offense man, but the physical description you gave us doesn't sound like you knew this person "very well" (possibly Mexican).

Actually it was "REALLY well".

First thing off, what are the statistics for stolen gun recovery? Straight up, if they're as low as I think they are, then I don't think any police department is going to roll out to hunt this guy down exclusively. My bet is that tomorrow, they'll tag an officer who has some down time between calls to make rounds at the most likely pawn shops, they may do a drive by the reported location but there is very little they can do beyond that. I'm not an officer but it just seems the most logical.

I agree with the others. Parts of your story may sound a little flakey. You just have to be polite to the officer, admit to the absurdity of the situation and accept that you're lucky you're alive and hope they retrieve the firearm.

Bobcat32

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Lake Charles
    Hmm,,now im lost,,I lived in 12 other states and had CCw in 8 of them,,In those 8 I was told to conceal it,,That is the point of getting a concealed weapons permit..I can OC ,,no reason for permit here,,unless I conceal it,,That is what concealed means,,,If you have it on you ,,that just means OC ,,,here we go again on the laws,,My 1 cell is starting to whither......

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    If you're talking about visible concealed guns, "printing", it's legal here in Louisiana. Texas for example, it's not.

If you're talking about OCing and CC'ing depending on mood... We can do that too.... providing you have a CC permit. You can OC, the permit allows you to CC. :)

Last edited:

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Hmm,,now im lost,,I lived in 12 other states and had CCw in 8 of them,,In those 8 I was told to conceal it,,That is the point of getting a concealed weapons permit..I can OC ,,no reason for permit here,,unless I conceal it,,That is what concealed means,,,If you have it on you ,,that just means OC ,,,here we go again on the laws,,My 1 cell is starting to whither......

You're in Louisiana now, you need to learn what OUR laws are.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    NO permit needed for "vehicle carry" and not needed for it to be hidden either, you ONLY need a permit if the weapon is CONCEALED ON your person, but that doesnt mean you should not go through the extend of heaving means to secure it from unauthorized persons should you be away from your vehicle.

Eventhough on this case is a little diferent scenario

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Actually it was "REALLY well".

First thing off, what are the statistics for stolen gun recovery? Straight up, if they're as low as I think they are, then I don't think any police department is going to roll out to hunt this guy down exclusively. My bet is that tomorrow, they'll tag an officer who has some down time between calls to make rounds at the most likely pawn shops, they may do a drive by the reported location but there is very little they can do beyond that. I'm not an officer but it just seems the most logical.

I agree with the others. Parts of your story may sound a little flakey. You just have to be polite to the officer, admit to the absurdity of the situation and accept that you're lucky you're alive and hope they retrieve the firearm.

Fixed.:o:D

This could also be used as a good example of why it's best to carry a defensive weapon on one's person, I believe....Pretty sure we were talking about this a while back, IIRC. At any rate, it's a really bad way to learn you DON'T know someone as well as you thought.....

OP, heed the advice that some here have given- don't go after this guy on your own. At the very least- IF, somehow you find him, let the police handle him. That's a crappy neighborhood, anyway.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009

That's ok. Rejoice: You are now in Louisiana! That's the good thing about BS dot com- you will usually find the answers you need here.
    (....Well, that and a fun time is had by all....:D

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Trust me, there are plenty of better places to keep a gun in an sn-95/new edge that are better than under the seat. When you get a replacement, I'll gladly help you figure out a better place to keep it. 03GeeTee can probably vouch for my knowledge of every nook and cranny in a mustang.

And I was serious when a said good luck, I reread it and it came off as condescending, which wasn't the intent.

99.9% of gun owners/wannabes/leo's wouldn't have been able to do any better than you did in that situation, so don't be hard on yourself. You left a gun crime without a hole in your body, and that's the whole point, and the only point that matters.

I actually had a friend see me in traffic, since my car is very recognizable, and while iwas stopped at light, he yanked open the passenger door. I had my gun on the seat and I learned from that little joke that had someone been trying to car jack me, my gun wouldn't have done anything but give the jacker a really nice addition to his collection

Bobcat32

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Lake Charles
    Ohhhh Ok,I read it,,,,ANd I'm from here so don't be callin me no yank lol..i MISSED la,,I love the laws here,,,Its by far the cheapest most inexpensive place I have ever lived..In the other states my CWp stated ,,gun to be hidden,,They had a different permit to carry it concealed on person...Believe me I was stopped many many times up state due to owning a sweet sports car..ANd they always asked if I had a gun and I would show permit and pull it out from under seat or where ever,,, and thanks for that thread ole,,:) I think shooter summed it up very quickly and understandable... Thanks :)

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Trust me, there are plenty of better places to keep a gun in an sn-95/new edge that are better than under the seat. When you get a replacement, I'll gladly help you figure out a better place to keep it. 03GeeTee can probably vouch for my knowledge of every nook and cranny in a mustang.

And I was serious when a said good luck, I reread it and it came off as condescending, which wasn't the intent.

99.9% of gun owners/wannabes/leo's wouldn't have been able to do any better than you did in that situation, so don't be hard on yourself. You left a gun crime without a hole in your body, and that's the whole point, and the only point that matters.

I actually had a friend see me in traffic, since my car is very recognizable, and while iwas stopped at light, he yanked open the passenger door. I had my gun on the seat and I learned from that little joke that had someone been trying to car jack me, my gun wouldn't have done anything but give the jacker a really nice addition to his collection

This is BR, man. Please- Lock your car doors if you didn't start then & there...... Not being an ass- deadly (literally) serious.

My sister learned this the hard way a few years back when an old man (thankfully WITHOUT bad intentions) boarded her vehicle while stopped at a red light on Government Street. If his intentions had been the other- I shudder to think.....

Last edited:

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Ohhhh Ok,I read it,,,,ANd I'm from here so don't be callin me no yank lol..i MISSED la,,I love the laws here,,,Its by far the cheapest most inexpensive place I have ever lived..In the other states my CWp stated ,,gun to be hidden,,They had a different permit to carry it concealed on person...Believe me I was stopped many many times up state due to owning a sweet sports car..ANd they always asked if I had a gun and I would show permit and pull it out from under seat or where ever,,, and thanks for that thread ole,,:) I think shooter summed it up very quickly and understandable... Thanks :)

Anytime buddy....glad Nolacop's list could help you! :)

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    This is BR, man. Please- Lock your car doors if you didn't start then & there...... Not being ass- deadly (literally) serious.

My sister learned this the hard way a few years back when an old man (thankfully WITHOUT bad intentions) boarded her vehicle while stopped at a red light on Government Street. If his intentions had been the other- I shudder to think.....

I LOVE my automatic door locks. :)

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    This is BR, man. Please- Lock your car doors if you didn't start then & there...... Not being ass- deadly (literally) serious.

I usually keep my doors locked, this one time, literally, they weren't, and I wasn't maintaining my normal level of situational awareness. It just reinforced how much the saying rings true that that it only takes slipping up one time to get yourself in a real bind.

I was just trying to emphasize that he was being harder on himself than necessary, and also trying to remark on some of the other "what you should've done" post from people who would most likely just poop themselves in the same situation.

I've noticed a common trend in the gun enthusiast world is people hyping up their abilities to handle a potentially deadly situation with no real understanding of what it's like to be in one, merely because they can semi-accurately shoot compressed wood fibers in an air conditioned tunnel.

DuckYou

Angry Wiener
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    You should also keep a knife in easy reach. Someone reaches for you gun, grab them with one arm and use the knife. They are focused on getting the gun, and not on what the other hand is doing.

Knives are messy and mean. Only do that when you know your life is in danger.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA

Thanks dude, I think that sums it all up well.

Would love suggestions for spots to hide one in my GT. I was used to carrying it in my 300C (I neglected the poor GT when I had my 300C), where there was no shortage of places to conceal it with easy access.

Top Bottom